+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 First 12 345612 ... Last
  1. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    A CCIE written every two years will renew your CCIE and all your other Cisco certifications, if you get to that level.

I don't think the OSCP technically expires, but they regularly come out with new versions. It's a couple hundred dollars for the new material (at least this time around).

ISACA, (ISC)2, SANS, and EC-Council have CPEs (or equivalent, they sometimes call them different things). There is usually overlap between all them, so it's not as bad as it sounds. You can always just opt to retake the exams if you don't want to deal with CPEs. Also keep the cost of the maintenance fees in mind (where applicable). Those can add up to be a decent amount.
    Got ya. I think I need to get a stable security job first before I start thinking about expert certs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl8ckr0uter View Post
    That's why you need to lower your attack surface. CCIE will renew all of the cisco exams, not just the IE. So if you do the IE written your CCXP and CCNA will be renew. Sans certs are every 4 years, or GSE, or CPEs I believe. EC courncil has CPEs but I have heard they are bull. OSCP is forever valid (I think).

Me personally, I don't want a lot of certs because people will think if you have that cert you must know all of the information related to the cert. It could come back to bite you in the ass come interview time. I'd rather have a few, big name, valuable certs than many certs.
    Very true. Here comes the royal cut on my cert list haha.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue2shadow View Post
    Very true. Here comes the royal cut on my cert list haha.
    I mean this is just my opinion. There are some people here who seem to have every cert under the sun. There are others who have very few. Do what works for you. I just know from my experience and limited certifications that people (specifically IT people) will expect you to know every single piece of information on the test AS WELL AS things they THINK you should know if you have a cert. This holds especially true in IT interviews.

I did an interview for a Network Tech job and they saw that I have my NA and NA sec. They started asking me questions about BGP, QOS, MPLS, etc because they assumed that because I had the NA I should know ALL about that (I didn't and still don't ). My point is just make sure you can live up to all of those certs AND what people may think you should know and you will be cool. That's why I am going to have relatively few certs because I want to make sure I know EVERYTHING on the test.

EDIT: I swear watching you sig is like watching mine from a few months ago. God I'm getting flashbacks lol
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 06-14-2010 at 05:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    I mean this is just my opinion. There are some people here who seem to have every cert under the sun. There are others who have very few. Do what works for you. I just know from my experience and limited certifications that people (specifically IT people) will expect you to know every single piece of information on the test AS WELL AS things they THINK you should know if you have a cert. This holds especially true in IT interviews.

I did an interview for a Network Tech job and they saw that I have my NA and NA sec. They started asking me questions about BGP, QOS, MPLS, etc because they assumed that because I had the NA I should know ALL about that (I didn't and still don't ). My point is just make sure you can live up to all of those certs AND what people may think you should know and you will be cool. That's why I am going to have relatively few certs because I want to make sure I know EVERYTHING on the test.
    True. Thinking about now too, as dynamik referenced, ROI has to be considered. If I were to get the VP and IP just for renewal sake it may look good but personally I wouldn't feel it helping in the end if I'm expected to be the VP guy when my focus is on security. I've noticed the age of old trend of employers liking people specialized in one or two areas that can be modal as opposed to one person with 50 certs without a focus. As you said though, it depends on the person.
    Last edited by rogue2shadow; 06-14-2010 at 05:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    True. Thinking about now too, its about ROI as well. If I were to get the VP and IP just for renewal sake it may look good but personally I wouldn't feel it helping in the end if I'm expected to be the VP guy when my focus is on security. I've noticed the age of old trend of employers liking people specialized in one or two areas that can be modal as opposed to one person with 50 certs without a focus. As you said though, it depends on the person.
    Exactly!!! This could not be more true!

IMO I think at least the material from the CCIP will be worth it and I do want to do it (not sure if I am going to though). I don't think VP is in my future, regardless if I do CCNA:V or not. Truth be told I really don't want to do CCNP but I am going to just for HRs sake. Now if the new CCSP is called CCNP:Security then I probably won't do CCNP since I will already have the letters on my resume.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Exactly!!! This could not be more true!

IMO I think at least the material from the CCIP will be worth it and I do want to do it (not sure if I am going to though). I don't think VP is in my future, regardless if I do CCNA:V or not. Truth be told I really don't want to do CCNP but I am going to just for HRs sake. Now if the new CCSP is called CCNP:Security then I probably won't do CCNP since I will already have the letters on my resume.
    I'll most likely do the same. I will use the CCNA or CCNA Security to renew every 3 years (tell me if this doesn't work lol). In the end it works out because I can use either of these exams to constantly reinforce the basics and as the exam is constantly changed, the original topics will be renewed in my mind on top of the experience I will be getting.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, MCITP:EA, Security+, VCA-DCV
    I'll most likely do the same. I will use the CCNA or CCNA Security to renew every 3 years (tell me if this doesn't work lol). In the end it works out because I can use either of these exams to constantly reinforce the basics and as the exam is constantly changed, the original topics will be renewed in my mind on top of the experience I will be getting.
    If you obtain a professional level certification you must recertify at the professional level. If you are talking about just recertifying the CCNA then that would work. But if you are looking to recertify a CCNP, you would have to take an equal or higher exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by xmalachi View Post
    If you obtain a professional level certification you must recertify at the professional level. If you are talking about just recertifying the CCNA then that would work. But if you are looking to recertify a CCNP, you would have to take an equal or higher exam.

Thanks for the heads up. So I guess I will end up with the other certs lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Update: I finished the book today and score a 95% on the final exam in the book. As posted before I have been consistently getting 87%+ on each of the chapter exams.

I feel confident enough to take this this thursday but I feel that I may be acting overconfident. Should I continue with the study plan and wait a week or is it safe to say I could probably do this earlier than expected (pending I work on practice exams til' this wednesday)?

Hows the book coming along knwminus?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    Update: I finished the book today and score a 95% on the final exam in the book. As posted before I have been consistently getting 87%+ on each of the chapter exams.

I feel confident enough to take this this thursday but I feel that I may be acting overconfident. Should I continue with the study plan and wait a week or is it safe to say I could probably do this earlier than expected (pending I work on practice exams til' this wednesday)?

Hows the book coming along knwminus?

Wow dude. I am finishing up chapter 3 and maybe chapter 4 tonight. I had my first day at the new job tonight. First order of business, work on WSUS and get the patches in order.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Wow dude. I am finishing up chapter 3 and maybe chapter 4 tonight. I had my first day at the new job tonight. First order of business, work on WSUS and get the patches in order.
    Congrats on your first day!

I hope to see one for myself soon haha.

I was so excited about the book during my Net+ and A+ studies and I just kept reading it little by little in between down times; when its actually time to study for Sec+ I come to realize I already read about half the book lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Good luck man! I take the 70-680 Thursday and I feel pretty good about it. Hopefully both of us will be happy when Thursday is over with...
    Last edited by veritas_libertas; 06-16-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Not 70-685, but the 70-680.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    good luck guys!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Took yesterday night off. I will double up tonight to get myself back on track. Chapters 3+4 shouldn't be to bad.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Took yesterday night off. I will double up tonight to get myself back on track. Chapters 3+4 shouldn't be to bad.
    You should be done in no time . The biggest halt in my studies was memorizing the asymmetric/symmetric topics.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    You should be done in no time . The biggest halt in my studies was memorizing the asymmetric/symmetric topics.
    I'm pissed though. I took the night off to watch the NBA finals and the game was a blow out. I am happy its going to 7 though

Are you still taking the exam tomorrow?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    I'm pissed though. I took the night off to watch the NBA finals and the game was a blow out. I am happy its going to 7 though

Are you still taking the exam tomorrow?
    Yea. Let's see how far this overconfidence takes me lol. Looking back at my notes, I am easily remembering just about all the topics. I always have that good period of butterflies before a exam day anyway; I just gotta go in and kill it and when I kill it, I'll create a thread called Mr. CompTIA+ haha.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Yea. Let's see how far this overconfidence takes me lol. Looking back at my notes, I am easily remembering just about all the topics. I always have that good period of butterflies before a exam day anyway; I just gotta go in and kill it and when I kill it, I'll create a thread called Mr. CompTIA+ haha.
    You mean Mr. Security+, right? LOL

I feel the same way, it's the day before and I am always suspcious that I may have studied too deeply in a certain area. I have never studied for a Microsoft certification before, so I really don't know what to expect.

The Security+ was a very interesting exam. I got hit with really oddly worded test questions. Be ready to slow down and study questions. If you don't get them right away check-mark it to review later. Don't over analyze them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    You mean Mr. Security+, right? LOL

I feel the same way, it's the day before and I am always suspcious that I may have studied too deeply in a certain area. I have never studied for a Microsoft certification before, so I really don't know what to expect.

The Security+ was a very interesting exam. I got hit with really oddly worded test questions. Be ready to slow down and study questions. If you don't get them right away check-mark it to review later. Don't over analyze them.

Got ya. Time seems to slow down when I'm doing CompTIA exams lol. I think this time I will become Mr. CompTIA+ due to the fact that I will officially have the lifetime trifecta (A+, Net+, Sec+) .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Got ya. Time seems to slow down when I'm doing CompTIA exams lol. I think this time I will become Mr. CompTIA+ due to the fact that I will officially have the lifetime trifecta (A+, Net+, Sec+) .
    Nothing makes time slow down like a certification exam, this is true. Hmm, so I might as well put down CompTIA for life on my signature?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member
    I am still in chapter 4 of the book. I want to try to finish 4 and 5 today to keep myself on track for finishing on Sunday. I have been killing the exams at the end of the chapters. There are a few things that I marked for additional research (SELinux, IGMP, Information Concentrators ) and I am sure other stuff will come up. That isn't so much for the S+ but for my general knowledge.

On another note, HIPPA and SOX are confusing as hell.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Yea; HIPPA is a pain haha. Keep up the momentum and I'm sure I'll see the Sec+ on your profile soon enough. Having gone through the CCNA Security, this will most likely be cake to you.

@Veritas - most definitely haha.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    Yea; HIPPA is a pain haha. Keep up the momentum and I'm sure I'll see the Sec+ on your profile soon enough. Having gone through the CCNA Security, this will most likely be cake to you.

@Veritas - most definitely haha.
    Hopefully. I want to finish chapter 4 before I leave today (within 3 hours). I think I can get it done since we are slow right now.

I am working for an insurance place so I need to be aware of HIPPA and SOX (more HIPPA than anything else). So much to know...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member
    Well I am on chapter 5. I am in the NOC so I hope to finish chapters 5-7 by the time I leave today. I'm moving my main laptop to Fedora as we speak. I should be able to get that done as well. I guess thats a benefit of being alone for 12 hours.

I want to try to finish the book by Sunday (which should be doable). I have some research items that I want to check out (setting up a HIDS/NIDS, Honeynet, SELinux, IAS, and a few others) that I want to work on next week. I know that labing out that stuff isn't nessessary but my goal is to build my knowledge so I don't mind the extra time. There are also a few other books I want to go over (mainly the ISCW guide for IPSEC and ISAKMP) so that will fill my next week.
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 06-19-2010 at 06:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member
    Almost done with my reading goal. The main thing I hate about these studies so far is the fact that it there is no step by step "this is how you do it". I should be finished the book by Sunday but my studies for the Security+ are no where near complete. I have indentified several things that I am going to lab out over the next few days/weeks so I can drill in certain concepts. I guess I don't like the fact that I don't see the exam as practical. Oh well, I guess it is what I make of it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Almost done with my reading goal. The main thing I hate about these studies so far is the fact that it there is no step by step "this is how you do it". I should be finished the book by Sunday but my studies for the Security+ are no where near complete. I have indentified several things that I am going to lab out over the next few days/weeks so I can drill in certain concepts. I guess I don't like the fact that I don't see the exam as practical. Oh well, I guess it is what I make of it.
    Nice nice. Keep us up to date! I like the momentum .

Looking at our certs, I just realized it looks as if I'm trying to catch up to you haha.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 First 12 345612 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks