+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 First 123 456713 ... Last
  1. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue2shadow View Post
    Nice nice. Keep us up to date! I like the momentum .

Looking at our certs, I just realized it looks as if I'm trying to catch up to you haha.
    Lol you'll probably end up lapping me in the end though. You goal is larger than mine at least cert wise.

I'm going into work at midnight so I plan to finish up the book there. I am going to take my ISCW and CCNA Security so I can brush back up on encryption. My next steps are to research my topic areas and study a little more about those areas. I'm also going to go over the SP 800 documents because business needs are the reasons why IT exist. I kind of found risk management interesting--not sure why though. I'm also going to start making my notes available on my blog in the next week or so.

Time to go hit the weights and get ready for work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MS:ISA, BSIT:Network Administration, CMNA, CCNA, CCDA, A+, NET+, SEC+, Project+, MCTS(70-680), MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008
    I just bought Darril's book from amazon and I am waiting for it to arrive but I have a Question... Does it have a CD that contains a PDF of the book? Since I work 3rd shift I like to read at work but leave the book at home.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by citinerd View Post
    I just bought Darril's book from amazon and I am waiting for it to arrive but I have a Question... Does it have a CD that contains a PDF of the book? Since I work 3rd shift I like to read at work but leave the book at home.
    Sorry. I've been busy the last few days. The book does NOT come with a PDF or a cd. Don't let that stop you though as it is a good read.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Still haven't finished the book lol. I have been busy at work with auditing the cisco switch configurations. I need to learn about QoS pretty quickly (especially as it pertains to voice and ISCSI traffic ) so I haven't been able to get in the book like I want to. I am going to try to finish tonight since we have change control tomorrow and I won't have any time. This this weekend (fri, sat, sun) I am going to start doing my research. I don't want to just pass the test. Certs aren't that important here (my Senior doesn't have any, just 14 years of exp) so I don't need to rush to get it done or anything although I still want to take it on the 10th. I guess I want to get the most of what I can get from my Sec+ experience. I'm questioning the point of doing the MCSA, and if I do any MS certs it would probably do the MCP (but I am not sure). I have all of the material so I can go over what would be important for my job (the 291 material) and go from there. One exam that I am thinking about now is the SNIA SCSP (storage) as we use a fair amount of ISCSI. I also think the CCIP would be good (we are moving to MPLS in the not to distant future, we need QoS and then R/S) but I am not to worried about it right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Still haven't finished the book lol. I have been busy at work with auditing the cisco switch configurations. I need to learn about QoS pretty quickly (especially as it pertains to voice and ISCSI traffic ) so I haven't been able to get in the book like I want to. I am going to try to finish tonight since we have change control tomorrow and I won't have any time. This this weekend (fri, sat, sun) I am going to start doing my research. I don't want to just pass the test. Certs aren't that important here (my Senior doesn't have any, just 14 years of exp) so I don't need to rush to get it done or anything although I still want to take it on the 10th. I guess I want to get the most of what I can get from my Sec+ experience. I'm questioning the point of doing the MCSA, and if I do any MS certs it would probably do the MCP (but I am not sure). I have all of the material so I can go over what would be important for my job (the 291 material) and go from there. One exam that I am thinking about now is the SNIA SCSP (storage) as we use a fair amount of ISCSI. I also think the CCIP would be good (we are moving to MPLS in the not to distant future, we need QoS and then R/S) but I am not to worried about it right now.
    Nice update! If you're going for CCIP, you might as well do CCNP too. The CCIP is only two or three exams away from CCNP (depending on if you do BGP+MPLS composite or the exams separately).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Nice update! If you're going for CCIP, you might as well do CCNP too. The CCIP is only two or three exams away from CCNP (depending on if you do BGP+MPLS composite or the exams separately).

I know. I know the material will be good for reading but I am not sure if I want to cert "in that direction". I really need to jump on the switch and QoS material. The MPLS material would be good as well. The BGP....probably good for knowledge but not for my job. I mean we really don't have that much network gear as it really isn't that large of a company. But we do have some work to do....

We will see. I am looking to stay here long term. I am more concerned with finishing school w/ honors ( at least cum laude --- no "cum" jokes please lol) and picking up a few career oriented, important certs. I know I want to do the C|EH and SSCP. I would also want the GSEC but after that I am not sure. I just don't feel like chasing certs right now lol. I might do CCDA in a bit to renew my CCNA:S
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    We will see. I am looking to stay here long term. I am more concerned with finishing school w/ honors ( at least cum laude --- no "cum" jokes please lol) and picking up a few career oriented, important certs. I know I want to do the C|EH and SSCP. I would also want the GSEC but after that I am not sure. I just don't feel like chasing certs right now lol. I might do CCDA in a bit to renew my CCNA:S
    Wise move! Getting college over with really reduces the stress. I have one more year and I can't wait to get it over with. I promised my wife that as soon as college is over with we are going overseas for a vacation.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    Wise move! Getting college over with really reduces the stress. I have one more year and I can't wait to get it over with. I promised my wife that as soon as college is over with we are going overseas for a vacation.
    I agree. I'm in the same boat minus the wife and the overseas vacation money lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    We never had a honeymoon so I think we are thinking about going to Japan. Don't get me wrong though, I know I need certs to differentiate myself from my fellow graduates but I am not going to chase them all. I think I have myself settled in my mind now and my sig won't be changing for a while. Hopefully.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    We never had a honeymoon so I think we are thinking about going to Japan. Don't get me wrong though, I know I need certs to differentiate myself from my fellow graduates but I am not going to chase them all. I think I have myself settled in my mind now and my sig won't be changing for a while. Hopefully.
    Indeed! Your resolve, as well as the advice of many others in this community, has laid great influence on my cert path as well. I think this is pretty much it for now unless I end up using my crim degree in the end (FBI, forensic examiner etc.)

In the end having dual specialties will make the difference
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    When are you taking Sec+?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    When are you taking Sec+?
    July10th.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Fell asleep for like 13 hours on Sunday (went to take a nap at 5:00pm, didn't wake up till about 6 in the next morning). I guess I was pretty tired. I have about 75 pages left in the book so I will knock those out tonight. I also have the Sybex Security+ review book which I am going to try to get done by Sunday. I am still on the fence about if I am going to pick up any practice test for this exam. I don't think I am. On the comptia website there is a big practice test (at least 100 questions) on that, the test in Darrils book, the test in the review guide and reviewing every single piece of my notes and doing more research. My objective for the S+ was simply to gain knowledge with earning the cert as an Added bonus. I haven't been able to get into LPIC-1 studies like I want but I should be able to make a much better stride towards getting that done later this month. Also I need to start working with my cisco gear more, so I need to finish network warrior and go through every command that I can, especially the QoS stuff. I've started to think about C|EH and SSCP. I would like to do the WCNA as well but I am not sure if the certification is going to be worth it.

I found out there is a DEFCON group near where I am going to move to so I will probably try to hook up with them at some point. Also I am going to a new campus school wise so maybe there will be some hardcore ITers there. I remember taking my CIS 101 class (operating systems) and people were asking what a doc file was and how to create a folder. I DIED. It was cool though because I got an A and the teacher made me his assistant (and sometimes I got to teach).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Fell asleep for like 13 hours on Sunday (went to take a nap at 5:00pm, didn't wake up till about 6 in the next morning). I guess I was pretty tired. I have about 75 pages left in the book so I will knock those out tonight. I also have the Sybex Security+ review book which I am going to try to get done by Sunday. I am still on the fence about if I am going to pick up any practice test for this exam. I don't think I am. On the comptia website there is a big practice test (at least 100 questions) on that, the test in Darrils book, the test in the review guide and reviewing every single piece of my notes and doing more research. My objective for the S+ was simply to gain knowledge with earning the cert as an Added bonus. I haven't been able to get into LPIC-1 studies like I want but I should be able to make a much better stride towards getting that done later this month. Also I need to start working with my cisco gear more, so I need to finish network warrior and go through every command that I can, especially the QoS stuff. I've started to think about C|EH and SSCP. I would like to do the WCNA as well but I am not sure if the certification is going to be worth it.

I found out there is a DEFCON group near where I am going to move to so I will probably try to hook up with them at some point. Also I am going to a new campus school wise so maybe there will be some hardcore ITers there. I remember taking my CIS 101 class (operating systems) and people were asking what a doc file was and how to create a folder. I DIED. It was cool though because I got an A and the teacher made me his assistant (and sometimes I got to teach).
    Great update! Do C|EH, itll be fun haha.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by citinerd View Post
    It does not. Check out this thread. CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    It looks cool. If I start it after LPIC-1 it will probably take me all the way into next year getting ready for it. I really am starting to think that LPIC-1 will be my last cert this year and I am ok with that. I have already set my goals in my mind for SSCP, ITILv3 Foundations, C|EH, and GSEC. I think more than likely those are all I would be able to get done while doing school and stuff. The WCNA looks awesome but I am honestly not sure it is going to have the career impact that I want. If it takes off then maybe but for right now, I don't think so. I still want that book though lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    It looks cool. If I start it after LPIC-1 it will probably take me all the way into next year getting ready for it. I really am starting to think that LPIC-1 will be my last cert this year and I am ok with that. I have already set my goals in my mind for SSCP, ITILv3 Foundations, C|EH, and GSEC. I think more than likely those are all I would be able to get done while doing school and stuff. The WCNA looks awesome but I am honestly not sure it is going to have the career impact that I want. If it takes off then maybe but for right now, I don't think so. I still want that book though lol.
    You can always read and learn without taking the exam for the CWNA. I don't plan to do the CCNA any time soon, but learning how to use and troubleshoot a Cisco switch/router is definitely on my list of things to do.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    You can always read and learn without taking the exam for the CWNA. I don't plan to do the CCNA any time soon, but learning how to use and troubleshoot a Cisco switch/router is definitely on my list of things to do.
    Of course. I have to do that for SQL server, Windows 7 (when we roll it out), SCCM and our interaction/polycom voip gateway stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    July10th.
    Same day I'm taking 70-291, good luck.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member
    I just looked at their site. I thought they wanted 1 year of InfoSec (like SSCP) but they want 2. Hmm... I might have to hold off till the end of the year for sure to sit this exam. Doesn't mean I wont for it though
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    Same day I'm taking 70-291, good luck.
    Both of us should come back with wins for the home team
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    I also have the Sybex Security+ review book which I am going to try to get done by Sunday.
    So do I, let me know what you think.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    So do I, let me know what you think.
    The first time I decided to do the S+ (back in Feb before the job issues) I skimmed through it. I think I thought it was ok. I will do a full review probably next sunday or monday and I will say how well it prepared me for the exam sometime on the 10th.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Do you think that you need both books? I'm thinking Daril's book along with either CBT or Trainsignal for when I do mine. Do you think that is good enough?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    Do you think that you need both books? I'm thinking Daril's book along with either CBT or Trainsignal for when I do mine. Do you think that is good enough?
    Daril's book and the videos will be more than enough.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 First 123 456713 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks