+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Member

Certifications
    Security+, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    Hi, I'm erpadmin. You may remember me from conversations such as when I discussed my PeopleSoft experience or when I discussed that I was also A+ and Network+ certified. Today, I'm gonna now say that I PASSED!! I not only passed, I slayed that m***********r!!

870 out of 900. In all seriousness, all I used the last two days was Darril Gibson's book and the Transcenders. The Transcenders were ridiculously much harder than this exam. I'm going to say this about Darril Gibson's book...if you went through every chapter, took the practice exams at the end of the chapters, and then did the practice exam at the end of the book and did well on all of them, then take the exam. I have never said that about any study material, but this one definitely earns that. I did get one port question. (And I will not violate the NDA to tell you which one...but if you study the minimum amount of ports AND know what they are, you will be ok!).

This book, years of experience, self-confidence in my abilities and the encouragement of this forum was the reason I passed in 50 minutes. If you are using Darril Gibson's book for Security+, believe me, for the 2008 objectives, that's all you need. I didn't even finish my Labsim....just had his resource on my trusted Kindle. I will personally e-mail him later on today to thank him....him and Transcenders for making the tests harder than they needed to be. (Not a bad idea....forces you to really know your stuff!)
    Congratz. You give me confidence....I have Darril's book and I feel really comfortable with the information. However, i didn't purchase Transcenders or MeasureUp practice exams. Not sure if i can afford to purchase them right now. But I feel ready...i take the test in 2 Weeks. I am using this time to review items I am a little shaky on...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ Network+ Security +
    Quote Originally Posted by security tech View Post
    Congratz. You give me confidence....I have Darril's book and I feel really comfortable with the information. However, i didn't purchase Transcenders or MeasureUp practice exams. Not sure if i can afford to purchase them right now. But I feel ready...i take the test in 2 Weeks. I am using this time to review items I am a little shaky on...
    measure up is cheaper and if you sign onto the mailing list they send emails giveing you 30 percent discount
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT Security, A.A.S. Electronics Engineering Technology, ITIL V.3, A+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA (R&S, Security), MTA: 98-364
    Congrats, and good job. I plan to finish Darril's book this weekend, and try to pass the test before I turn 31 next month...
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by security tech View Post
    However, i didn't purchase Transcenders or MeasureUp practice exams.
    I only bought the Transcenders. MeasureUp was given to me (as part of my tuition) by WGU. I was hoping to spend the $258 or whatever it is on the exam (or get a voucher from an extremely reputable source). All I had were the Transcenders at the time and it really was a difficult exam and made me question my abilities in reading. When I saw the Darril Gibson thread afterwards, I jumped on the bandwagon and bought his book. In retrospect, those practice exams at the end of the chapters PLUS the one at the end of the book SHOULD be all you need to pass.

I can't stress this enough though: READ the questions AND the answers. I'll give you an example from Darril's book on what I mean.

1) What is bad about a network that uses coaxial cabling?
    A) Vampire taps can be used to capture light pulses.
    B) Data emanation from the core.

Oooo, I think I have a gimme, because I've been reading that Vampire taps are used to capture data from coaxial cables. So I'm choosing A) (out of this paraphrased example, it's different in the book). But because I didn't read the rest of the answer and just saw Vampire Taps, I got it wrong and was shocked! Until I saw that the correct answer is B and then I understood. (light pulses aren't used in coaxial) You will find the test is full of these and I probably got tripped up on a couple of those (I have a feeling I know which ones too...) on the real test. The day prior to the exam, I immersed myself in work and then relaxed and slept. Any cramming I did was on my way to the exam site (only like 1 and 30 minutes worth...).

If you follow the reading advice and answer your questions with stuff that you're sure about, you will know by the time you get to question 100 whether or not you passed. I did not go back and change anything. I just hit end exam and then closed my eyes during the hourglass until I saw "Congratulations".

Seriously, I think you'll do fine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxRacr View Post
    Congrats, and good job. I plan to finish Darril's book this weekend, and try to pass the test before I turn 31 next month...

Thank you. Coincidently (wasn't really thinking about it), I turn 33 on Wednesday.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+
    Congratulations! (From someone who hasn't passed it yet )
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Travler View Post
    Congratulations! (From someone who hasn't passed it yet )

Thank you and thanks to all.

I only hold my own personal preference to me. I look forward to your own pass and believe me, I have no doubt you will pass.
    Last edited by erpadmin; 08-28-2010 at 03:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA, Security+, EC-Council CEH, CCNA
    Congratulations!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by ssampier View Post
    Congratulations!

YES!!! Another Troy McClure fan! LMAO!!

May Phil Hartman RIP....everytime I watch Futurama, whenever Zap Branigan is on, this is the character I think of. Apparently, that's who Billy West (who voices him, Fry, the Professor, etc) was going for and said as much.

Phil Hartman was also supposed to voice Zap prior to his death. That was definitely the inspiration to that first paragraph...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA, Security+, EC-Council CEH, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    YES!!! Another Troy McClure fan! LMAO!!

May Phil Hartman RIP....everytime I watch Futurama, whenever Zap Branigan is on, this is the character I think of. Apparently, that's who Billy West (who voices him, Fry, the Professor, etc) was going for and said as much.

Phil Hartman was also supposed to voice Zap prior to his death. That was definitely the inspiration to that first paragraph...
    Sure [I love you], like I love Fresca.

Just ignorant, Billy... If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!

Chimpan-A to Chimpanzee... yes we finally made a monkey out of me.
    ----

The alien mothership is in orbit here. If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Got my wallet card and certificate from my PO Box today. Might have been there yesterday.....not a terrible wait.

I do like my wallet card! My other ones are getting terribly faded...wonder if I can get new ones with my old certification date. I don't care if I have to pay....just like how it looks and feels now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Bump to help those who are taking this exam at the 11th hour. (Best of luck again!)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+
    Nice work erp.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks