+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by sthompson86 View Post
    Well I do not have a Kindle, But I think I may go ahead and grab the paper back.
    I personally prefer the paperback, just suggested the kindle assuming that you have already bought a book and would like to spend as little as possible.

And like Earweed said, you can download the kindle app for windows, iphone, droid, or the ipad. I believe they are all free.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A.A.S Computer Technology, CCNA, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    Kindle version is $10. The practice questions alone make this a great buy.
    ahhh ha Kindle for PC app.! Now I have it on the pc
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ahhh ha Kindle for PC app.! Now I have it on the pc

*question* If I highlight or book mark something via Kindle PC APP on my work computer, and then I go home to my personal computer will my highlights and book marks be globally available to all my other devices?

Sorry for the offtopicness
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Sorry for the offtopicness
    Not sure, I've never used the app.

But I know that the kindle will keep track of your page number, so when you get home it will open to the same place. I could see where it would remember highlights, but that could also be asking for too much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Server+, A+, Network+, Security+, CISSP
    I'm thinking I may buy the Kindle version, even though I'm a Nook fan myself. I do have Kindle for iPhone and for PC. I'm going to check the used bookstores this weekend for Darril's book, however i'm not expecting to find it honestly, and will probably end up just dropping the $10 on the kindle version.

Like Devilsbane, I know it will hold page number from device to device. If you read to a point on one device, and open it on another, it will open it to the page you left it last on THAT device, but then ASK you if you want to open to the page you last read on xyz device. Ive only done recreational reading so i cannot vouch for the markups or highlights, but if I get the kindle version i will try it and let you know.
    Last edited by Paperlantern; 10-09-2010 at 03:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    noo no nothing against you. I had heard about them not being the best also. The one for the A+ did help me a lot though, but I didnt get the exam cram for Net+ because I read that it was junk.
    No worries my friend.

I have a regular kindle, not the PC app, but people have spoken highly about the PC app as it's a great way to get good books with dropping serious coin. (I try to get my books on my kindle device myself).

I had access to the Sybex book via Books 24x7 and the cryptography chapter did help me out a bit, but I found the author to be a bit corny when he was explaining cryptography in the beginning. I read that first, before I went to Darril and Darril just broke it down in a very lighthearted way....between that, and me flashcarding Crypto on the Transcenders I bought, it made me *get* Security+ and gave me the confidence I needed to do what I had to do.

Before I took Security+, I had always heard how difficult it was...even if you already had A+/Network+. In fact...I passed my A+ and Network+ (Network+ was a second shot, but A+ was first attempt passes), but I didn't "ace" them like I did Security+...and I took Security+ FIVE years after A+/Network+. A+/Network+ were decent scores....but not a 97% like Security+ was. I have to credit Darril with that. That's why I don't mind saying it is the best guide out there like everyone else does (and I happily include myself in that). I could have done it with Sybex, of course...but it would have felt like a book and I would have most likely skimmed most chapters and read stuff like cryptography.

With Darril's book, I actually read from chapter 1 to Chapter 10 and plus did the chapter questions. It really will stay on my Kindle for as long as I have it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post

With Darril's book, I actually read from chapter 1 to Chapter 10 and plus did the chapter questions. It really will stay on my Kindle for as long as I have it.
    I am on Chp. 2 per starting today, and I am really amazed that I can actually answer the end of the chapter questions without second guessing it.

My favorite thing about his book though has got to be the "lighhearted" explanations as you say. For example prior to reading this book I was kind of unsure of what exactly the difference between MAC and DAC was. Sybex just over talked it etc, but when Derril said DAC was nothing but securing a file in a peer 2 peer network and is not centralized. I was like... no kidding... and this whole time I was thinking it was something above and beyond me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    Exam Cram for ANYTHING they write is utter garbage.

I agree now after I read Derrils book. I went back to the exam cram, and in some places it is the complete opposite of what Derrils book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks