+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Thread: Darril's Book

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by kidainny View Post
    best book i've used for a certification yet. i wonder if Darril sees these posts.
    He does. He used to frequently surf the forums and congratulate his pupils when they passed. I haven't seen him around in about a month though. He is probably working on a new book or something.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    He does. He used to frequently surf the forums and congratulate his pupils when they passed. I haven't seen him around in about a month though. He is probably working on a new book or something.

I hope it's Project+: Get Certified Get Ahead!

I'm going to email him sometime soon and ask if he can get on that.....LOL.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Security+
    Right down even to the font size - i mean it really makes a difference. I was flying through that book. It was just the right amount of information, and flowed smoothly. Plus hundreds of questions. How can you beat that?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Server+, A+, Network+, Security+, CISSP
    Would you like some cheese with your whine?
    Actually, some honey Goat Cheese would be wonderful. On some wheat crackers, thanks.

I really can't wait to sink my teeth into this book. Should be here in a few days!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Project+, Security+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS - Vista Configuration, CIW Associate, CIW Professional
    I could not pass the Kindle 9.99 price up. Downloaded Kindle for PC to my netbook, bought the book, and am flying through it. Excellent read!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, HDI-SCA, ITIL V3 Foundations, A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT, CCNA, Project+, CCNA Security, MCTS: Windows 7 Config, CEH, CHFI
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue2shadow View Post
    If any of you are students, grab Amazon Prime for students. It's free, gives you 2-day shipping on all items stocked by Amazon (and their distributors), and 1-day shipping is 3.99 per item.

Amazon Student

holy crap, I didn't know that... thanks dude.. amazon rules
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, HDI-SCA, ITIL V3 Foundations, A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT, CCNA, Project+, CCNA Security, MCTS: Windows 7 Config, CEH, CHFI
    Quote Originally Posted by kidainny View Post
    Right down even to the font size - i mean it really makes a difference. I was flying through that book. It was just the right amount of information, and flowed smoothly. Plus hundreds of questions. How can you beat that?

agreed, the larger font is a much welcomed difference from the other books I am studying
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
    holy crap, I didn't know that... thanks dude.. amazon rules
    Yep, it is wonderful

And when my year is up, maybe I will be able to get another year since I have an address at a different school now. And a year after that, I'll probably be entering a 3rd school.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Book arrived today! I will be starting it today for sure, and will probably still be able to easily meet my original goal of having the Exam passed by month end.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network +
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperlantern View Post
    Book arrived today! I will be starting it today for sure, and will probably still be able to easily meet my original goal of having the Exam passed by month end.
    Crack that thing open and get reading!

I should be finished by Wednesday and then I am going to skim through it afterwards...I have exactly 2 weeks and counting...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    In DGs book I read 7 chapters in two days (this past weekend) my brain was hurting by Sunday night 0_0

I made some silly mistakes but overall I kept getting 85% or above on each chapter exam which tells me that I am familiar with the topic. I plan to finish two more chapters tonight and then the last one tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by higherho View Post
    In DGs book I read 7 chapters in two days (this past weekend) my brain was hurting by Sunday night 0_0

I made some silly mistakes but overall I kept getting 85% or above on each chapter exam which tells me that I am familiar with the topic. I plan to finish two more chapters tonight and then the last one tomorrow.

After tomorrow, when you're done with the final DG exam, schedule your exam and then just spend time lightly reviewing. You sound like you're just about ready.

If your brain is hurting...that means it's working...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    After tomorrow, when you're done with the final DG exam, schedule your exam and then just spend time lightly reviewing. You sound like you're just about ready.

If your brain is hurting...that means it's working...
    The test is scheduled for this Friday. I needed to get the cert by then (actually Monday would be Ideal. IF anything bad happened I would have 60 days to get it).

I agree. When I took a shower last night I was saying all the port numbers for memory, talked about logs, different protocols ,etc. It was crazy 0_0

what would you consider light reviewing? Just curious.

EDIT

I will also have all day Thursday to review.
    Last edited by higherho; 10-18-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Just cracked it open and spent the last hour or so going through the Assessment Test at the beginning of the book. Scored a 63% on that. A little disappointing but having not read the book yet I guess I can't complain too much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    I started on chapter 1 and did not notice the assessment test in the beginning.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

what would you consider light reviewing? Just curious.
    First of all, I didn't even do the preassessment. Just read the book and did the final exam (I didn't want to worry about what was "the weakest" as it was safe to assume that it would be cryptography.

If my test is Friday, I would just do some skimming, as opposed to studying on Thursday. There is such a thing as information overload, and I didn't want to spend the day before cramming. IF anything I would do my cramming hours BEFORE I sit for the exam (which is why I take trains/ferries to my testing center instead of driving). Maybe do the preassessment...but not heavy-duty cramming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    First of all, I didn't even do the preassessment. Just read the book and did the final exam (I didn't want to worry about what was "the weakest" as it was safe to assume that it would be cryptography.

If my test is Friday, I would just do some skimming, as opposed to studying on Thursday. There is such a thing as information overload, and I didn't want to spend the day before cramming. IF anything I would do my cramming hours BEFORE I sit for the exam (which is why I take trains/ferries to my testing center instead of driving). Maybe do the preassessment...but not heavy-duty cramming.
    O, I agree with you. I was planning on going through all the remember me parts or just the summary exam sections. Do you think thats to much?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I started on chapter 1 and did not notice the assessment test in the beginning.
    I took the assessment, I scored 65 or 70%. I took that as a compliment. That I know more than half of the material with no prep.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I took the assessment, I scored 65 or 70%. I took that as a compliment. That I know more than half of the material with no prep.
    yeah I guess that is the glass-half-full way of looking at it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    O, I agree with you. I was planning on going through all the remember me parts or just the summary exam sections. Do you think thats to much?

As long as it's just that, in addition to light reading. You don't want to spend more than an hour doing it....you want to relax on that day. Then do your blitzkrieg cramming the next day, hours before you exam.

Sounds like you're almost ready.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    As long as it's just that, in addition to light reading. You don't want to spend more than an hour doing it....you want to relax on that day. Then do your blitzkrieg cramming the next day, hours before you exam.

Sounds like you're almost ready.
    I thought you said cramming right before it is bad? :P

Yep, I can see the finish line
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

I do cramming right before the test. I get there early (to avoid any stress of potentially being late) and so I kill the extra time sitting out in the car with any notes I've taken (which is usually like 8 pages or so) and my book so I can skim sections or chapters.

I've heard not to, but it hasn't steered me wrong yet. (But I usually find the stuff I was the most worried about doesn't show up. But it is better to be over prepared than under)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    I do cramming right before the test. I get there early (to avoid any stress of potentially being late) and so I kill the extra time sitting out in the car with any notes I've taken (which is usually like 8 pages or so) and my book so I can skim sections or chapters.

I've heard not to, but it hasn't steered me wrong yet. (But I usually find the stuff I was the most worried about doesn't show up. But it is better to be over prepared than under)
    I guess I will bring my book and put some bookmarks in and high light some stuff. I will mainly glance over the lowest scoring chapter I got on the chapter exams.

bbl! going to read chapter 8 and hopefully finish 9 tonight.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

Cramming the DAY BEFORE the exam is bad....

Cramming the few hours before, can be the difference between 865 and 870...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    What has generally worked for me is that I'll read/study. When I feel ready, I schedule. Will do some practice exams (For Security+ I should have saved my money on Transcenders....lol.....), then the day before an exam, I will just do some chillin'/relaxin'. My brain needs to absorb what I've been reading (at this point it's either I know it, or I don't). Then I cram the last couple/few hours before an exam.

Like you, I do subscribe to being overprepared. In Security+'s case...I definitely did. (Put it this way...A+ and Network+ were not exactly 97% scored like Security+ was....lmao). Then again, the cut score was like 500 something for either exams or some jazz.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks