Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    Network +
    Congrats fieldmonkey!

Bravo my friend....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldmonkey View Post
    ... In this economy one has to be well diversed and a jack of all trades... CCNA and MCSA are both wonderful certs to hold, even better together. I think I will take the next year or 18 months and try to complete the MCSA and then finish off the CCNA.

The knowlege I gained in the Cisco Networking Academy... 8 years later the knowledge I gained from getting the CCENT AND sitting for the 822, is embedded in me forever (well at least for two more years-which is when I need to "up" the Cisco certification). So in the short term it might be better to fill in something with MS.

Great feedback and candid feedback -- Thanks so much!
    My shop is a large one...the organization is not necessarily large, but the IT shop definitely is. I do recognize that a lot of organizations want a JOAT, and that's why I'm going into IT management....

I do not disagree with you and I was not aware of your background (you probably said it in another thread that I didn't read OR maybe I glanced over it when you did....if you did mention it, my apologies).

There is still demand for just networking folks, especially in New England..."Bah-stahn" in particular. Of course that CCENT is gonna need to turn into a CCNA and perhaps a CCNP at some point, but Boston is still great for IT, hands down! (Though I'm by a better place, NYC, but I do know Boston is nice for IT work, but I hate the cold....bad enough in Jersey....it's worst in NE!).

I do like your plan though and it sounds like you do have one. You should have no problem doing what you have/need to do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    A+ (06/09), N+, S+
    Congrats on the pass
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    A+ (06/09), N+, S+
    Congrats on the pass !
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Pancakes and Lasagna kurosaki00's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, A+, Network+
    gratz man!

I have a few questions for security+
    Please if someone can help me here.

Security+ = 2 exams?
    SY0-201, JK0-015 ?

I read members pay less for the exams, members are comptia certified? Or is some other membership?

Is it better to buy a voucher or pay directly for the exam? How much usually vouchers save you?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this.
    Thank you for your time.
    meh
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by kurosaki00 View Post
    gratz man!

I have a few questions for security+
    Please if someone can help me here.

Security+ = 2 exams?
    SY0-201, JK0-015 ?

I read members pay less for the exams, members are comptia certified? Or is some other membership?

Is it better to buy a voucher or pay directly for the exam? How much usually vouchers save you?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this.
    Thank you for your time.
    Nope, only 1 exam. It is an either or, and they are the same test. The JK0 is part of the J2C program. It is a program where your school can pay something like $800 a year, and then get cheap vouchers. So if you are going somewhere that can get you one of these vouchers, you are going to save some money. I forget the price for the discounted voucher, something like $150 or $160.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Pancakes and Lasagna kurosaki00's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, A+, Network+
    Thank you very much.
    I was getting worried that it was two exams. Not because the material, but of the costs.
    40$ discount sounds very good to me.
    Thank you.
    meh
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by kurosaki00 View Post
    Thank you very much.
    I was getting worried that it was two exams. Not because the material, but of the costs.
    40$ discount sounds very good to me.
    Thank you.
    Current voucher prices are:
    A+ voucher is $74
    CDIA+ voucher is $208
    CTT+ exam voucher is $191
    CTT+ VBT voucher is $208
    Convergence+ voucher is $191
    DHTI+ voucher is $191
    Linux+ voucher is $118
    Network+ voucher is $118
    PDI+ voucher is $191
    Project+ voucher is $118
    RFID+ voucher is $165
    Security+ voucher is $165
    Server+ voucher is $118

The vouchers are good for 12 months from the date of purchase.

From the E2C factbook. So check with your school and see if they are a memeber. Being a member of E2C doesn't make them a memeber of CompTIA. (That is different, and I don't believe as good of a deal)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Sec+, MCP, MCSA 2003, MCTS, MCITP:VA, VCP5, MCSA 2012, MCSE Private Cloud, MCSE Server Infrastructure, C|EHv7, RHCSA, OSCP, GCIH, OSWP
    You think NYC and Boston are great areas for IT, you should see how DC is. I live just outside of DC, and there are so many IT jobs its not even funny. We have license plates that say the .com capital

Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    My shop is a large one...the organization is not necessarily large, but the IT shop definitely is. I do recognize that a lot of organizations want a JOAT, and that's why I'm going into IT management....

I do not disagree with you and I was not aware of your background (you probably said it in another thread that I didn't read OR maybe I glanced over it when you did....if you did mention it, my apologies).

There is still demand for just networking folks, especially in New England..."Bah-stahn" in particular. Of course that CCENT is gonna need to turn into a CCNA and perhaps a CCNP at some point, but Boston is still great for IT, hands down! (Though I'm by a better place, NYC, but I do know Boston is nice for IT work, but I hate the cold....bad enough in Jersey....it's worst in NE!).

I do like your plan though and it sounds like you do have one. You should have no problem doing what you have/need to do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAgent View Post
    You think NYC and Boston are great areas for IT, you should see how DC is. I live just outside of DC, and there are so many IT jobs its not even funny. We have license plates that say the .com capital

Yes I am well aware that the Department of Motor Vehicles, (D[C]M[D]V[A]-area) is quite bountiful with IT jobs...high paying ones too....

DC is certainly an option to consider, I'll say that much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks