+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+

Default Passing Sec+ Tomorrow

Just a heads up. I'm taking that test down. DG's book was used (and before that All-In-One Sec+). Feeling pretty good about it now. That and I simply cannot afford to not pass My savings are dwindling until I finish this semester and can finally get a job.

Well, provided I get my voucher code I ordered in time to schedule it for tomorrow.
    Last edited by superman859; 10-22-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. 31510

Certifications
    A+ Network+ Security+ CCENT MCTS MCITP
    After you order voucher shouldn't take more than a few hours to receive that code via email. After seeing how highly recommended DG's book is I decided to order it myself already went through the trainsignal cbt video's but still felt something was lacking so far this book is great I'm on chapter 5. Anyway good luck on the test let us know how it goes plan to take mine in 3 weeks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    You got this! Bring home the "W"!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Sec+, MCP, MCSA 2003, MCTS, MCITP:VA, VCP5, MCSA 2012, MCSE Private Cloud, MCSE Server Infrastructure, C|EHv7, RHCSA, OSCP, GCIH, OSWP
    Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Well...I didn't pass today...

I didn't get my voucher until this morning via email, and it has to be scheduled 24 hours in advance. dang it. So I'm taking it tomorrow. Scheduled. In the books. Ready to go.

Passing Sec+ Tomorrow (for real!)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Sec+, MCP, MCSA 2003, MCTS, MCITP:VA, VCP5, MCSA 2012, MCSE Private Cloud, MCSE Server Infrastructure, C|EHv7, RHCSA, OSCP, GCIH, OSWP
    Doh.... well good luck tomorrow!
    2016 Goals: GCIH, OSWP - DONE!
    My OSCP review http://www.jasonbernier.com/oscp-review/
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by superman859 View Post
    Well...I didn't pass today...

I didn't get my voucher until this morning via email, and it has to be scheduled 24 hours in advance. dang it. So I'm taking it tomorrow. Scheduled. In the books. Ready to go.

Passing Sec+ Tomorrow (for real!)

I liked how you made it seemed you failed today....LOL!

Bring the thunder on it and bring home the gold!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Sterling Mallory Archer Ivanr4g63's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, MCTSx2
    Good to feel confident! thats a big plus, but since you have and extra day I'd still give an extra reading to my studying... just to be on safe side... Good luck on your test!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. Information Security, A.S. IT Security,CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, A+, Net+, Sec+, SonicWALL CSSA, MCTS: Windows 7
    You got this one in the bag. Go an kill that bad boy tomorrow
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CIW Foundation, CIW JavaScript, MCITP: EA, CCNA:R&S, VCP5-DCV
    Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Yea I'm going to use today to simply review. I feel pretty good about it already, but I want to know all of these topics inside and out so more reviewing won't hurt!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member

Certifications
    Sec+, Net+
    you seem to be fine. Good luck !!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yea I'm going to use today to simply review. I feel pretty good about it already, but I want to know all of these topics inside and out so more reviewing won't hurt!

It can hurt.....

You don't want to spend the day before an exam like Security+ doing hardcore studying. You need to give your brain time to absorb the material. It sounds silly, but it works.

Having said that, a very light review will not hurt....you just don't want to cram the day before an exam. You want to cram an hour or two before the exam starts....but not the day before.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    It can hurt.....

You don't want to spend the day before an exam like Security+ doing hardcore studying. You need to give your brain time to absorb the material. It sounds silly, but it works.

Having said that, a very light review will not hurt....you just don't want to cram the day before an exam. You want to cram an hour or two before the exam starts....but not the day before.
    Oh no worries on that front I just woke up from a 2 hour nap, which was preceded by some PS3 action, and I'm thinking about heading out later. So...during my break from having some fun, I might glance over the summaries in DG's book and review some of the practice exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    I did finally get around to the practice test at the end of DG's book and scored a 92%, so I think I'm ready. A few of the ones I missed I would argue in my favor of, but I'm sure that will be the case on the real exam as well

For example, a private key has been compromised what should you do? Answer: CA should revoke it and add to CRL
    My Answer: You should revoke it

Sure, the CA manages the CRL, but the CA won't know it needs to be revoked until YOU say so. That part is put on the end-user to specifically request it be revoked. I suppose there is a difference in requesting it to be revoked and actually revoking it, but actually revoking cannot take place without the end user being involved and requesting it...oh well...it happens!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Sure, the CA manages the CRL, but the CA won't know it needs to be revoked until YOU say so. That part is put on the end-user to specifically request it be revoked. I suppose there is a difference in requesting it to be revoked and actually revoking it, but actually revoking cannot take place without the end user being involved and requesting it...oh well...it happens!
    Presumably, if you just revoke it, the employee who left the organization could request and generate another cert. Realistically, that shouldn't happen, but in the case that it did, when you notify the CA, if that employee tries to generate another cert, it won't be valid, because anything that comes from that employee will be on the CRL.

Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Presumably, if you just revoke it, the employee who left the organization could request and generate another cert. Realistically, that shouldn't happen, but in the case that it did, when you notify the CA, if that employee tries to generate another cert, it won't be valid, because anything that comes from that employee will be on the CRL.

Hmm - I wasn't considering it from an employee point of view. I was considering if the key had been lost / stolen / etc.

But even still, if it was an employee, wouldn't the employee have to be authorized to get another cert granted to them? If it's a private CA ran by the company, I can't imagine they would give out certs to non-employees...

In the end, the CA would have to revoke the original cert and add it to the CRL, but it still needs to be requested by someone (person who decided it needed to be revoked, "you" as I took it in the question)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Hmm - I wasn't considering it from an employee point of view. I was considering if the key had been lost / stolen / etc.

But even still, if it was an employee, wouldn't the employee have to be authorized to get another cert granted to them? If it's a private CA ran by the company, I can't imagine they would give out certs to non-employees...

In the end, the CA would have to revoke the original cert and add it to the CRL, but it still needs to be requested by someone (person who decided it needed to be revoked, "you" as I took it in the question)

Real World Imaginary Scenario

I deal with "managed PKI" from both a user and an administrator perspective through a well known CA (probably the best known... )

I generate a certificate request from my server.

I grant myself a certificate based on the certifcate request I sent.

I install certificate on my web server.

My new job offer comes through! I give 2 week notice.

Guy who is replacement informs CA I left the organization.

My email from old job is now on CRL. Any certificate I requested will also be invalid and therefore revoked. New ones will need to be generated by my replacement.

------------------------------------------------------

This is a real world scenario of what (needs to) happen. Hopefully it makes sense.
    Last edited by erpadmin; 10-23-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Dharma Workman

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, MCDST, MCITP, MCSA

Congratulations!

On a serious note: thanks for explaining this...I understand the concepts of what PKI is, what a CA, CRL, AS, etc. are, but haven't put them together on how they all work together. I'm reading all my material to get a basic grasp on the stuff then going to buy DG's book as a final study guide.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbaft View Post
    Congratulations!

On a serious note: thanks for explaining this...I understand the concepts of what PKI is, what a CA, CRL, AS, etc. are, but haven't put them together on how they all work together. I'm reading all my material to get a basic grasp on the stuff then going to buy DG's book as a final study guide.

This PDF might help you out even more:
    http://www.verisign.com/static/DEV004104.pdf

Remember, don't worry about Extended Validation. It's not tested on Security+ (or apparently in the next iteration). All EV certs do is make a valid cert make the address bar green for a valid cert and red for invalid. You've seen this on sites like Bank of America, Paypal, etc. (This was why I put managed PKI in quotes..... ).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    Real World Imaginary Scenario

I deal with "managed PKI" from both a user and an administrator perspective through a well known CA (probably the best known... )

I generate a certificate request from my server.

I grant myself a certificate based on the certifcate request I sent.

I install certificate on my web server.

Guy who is replacement informs CA I left the organization.

My email from old job is now on CRL. Any certificate I requested will also be invalid and therefore revoked. New ones will need to be generated by my replacement.

------------------------------------------------------

This is a real world scenario of what (needs to) happen. Hopefully it makes sense.
    Congrats! I just recently became a System Administrator for DISA FSO.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

Default Oh wow......!!

I DID NOT GET A NEW JOB! IT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF HOW AND WHY CERTS END UP ON THE CRL!!!

(If that wasn't clear enough, I don't know what is....lmao!)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    LMAO that's funny.

Anyways, my claim is now officially true . Scored an 864. Bit lower than I was shooting for but as expected there were one or two questions where I believe CompTIA answered wrong (none of the answers were good), but perhaps I'm just stubborn .

Few terms and such that were not found in DG's book but I roughly recalled from the All-In-One. The questions were a little different than expected but still not bad - just poorly written in most cases, some with no good answer so I had to pick between two subpar answers....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec CCNA:Voice, A+, Project+, Sec+, Linux+, MCTS, ITIL v3, VCP-DCV
    Congrats! Another one under the belt
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks