+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    Security+, HBSS, Oracle Solaris 10 Administration, Linux+
    Quote Originally Posted by kidainny View Post
    I find doing a cert a month is about right for me. I mean, i probably could have done one of them a bit quicker, but there's a balance to burning out too. I work full time like most and can get in about an hour or two a night of study and then do some more extensive stuff on the weekend.

However, if my employee were to let me go for whatever reason - then i would crank them out like it was a full time job as long as i understood them and could apply the knowledge.

This is why I originally posted the question. Do you really retain anything after a month of study? I mean a month after the test, do you remember the subject matter?

Some of it I don't need to know. Of the machines I am responsible for, only four are Windows and the most I may have to do is reset a password. Everything is Solaris, so questions about group policies mean nothing to me. Rarely do I see anything in a practice test that talks about how this would be done in Linux or Unix, which is what I use.

I actually wish there were two tracks here, one for Windows and one for Unix/Linux.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by brownwrap View Post
    This is why I originally posted the question. Do you really retain anything after a month of study? I mean a month after the test, do you remember the subject matter?

Some of it I don't need to know. Of the machines I am responsible for, only four are Windows and the most I may have to do is reset a password. Everything is Solaris, so questions about group policies mean nothing to me. Rarely do I see anything in a practice test that talks about how this would be done in Linux or Unix, which is what I use.

I actually wish there were two tracks here, one for Windows and one for Unix/Linux.

Group Policy isn't exactly something that encompasses the entire Security+ exam though. For the most part, whatever study materials you are using, they're going to pretty much state what you need to know about GP as it pertains to the Security+ exam.

Sec+ isn't a cert that you need to lab for, even if you're a Unix guy. It's pretty much akin to a reading comprehension exam. (As are most CompTIA exams...). I'm pretty sure the Linux+ exam has items that focuses on Security. In fact, it does...it's 15% off the second of 2 exams in the Linux+ cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    To answer your question. Yes. I studied for a week with DG's book and got a 89% on the exam. Its seriously not that hard. Just read each question carefully.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. You are already dead jmritenour's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCA, RHCE, RHCSA
    I got my hands on Darril's book yesterday. I got about 75% on the pre-read assessment test. Most of the protocol/port/ACL stuff looks to be pretty straightforward entry to mid-level network stuff. I admit, a lot of the forensic/evidence handling/physical security stuff are new concepts to me, but I was able to make educated guesses on a lot of it.

I've torn through the first 3 chapters of Darril's book. It's a pretty easy, relaxing, informative read. I expect to be done within the next few days, maybe by the end of the weekend if nothing comes up to eat up too much of my time.

I want to take the test by the end of the month, but with the Thanksgiving holiday, I don't know. I might bump it up if I finish the book soon and don't find the practice tests too hard.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks