+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Certifications
    MS:ISA, BSIT:Network Administration, CMNA, CCNA, CCDA, A+, NET+, SEC+, Project+, MCTS(70-680), MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008

Default Studying for Security+ and Darril's Book..

Well I am taking a M$ break because my brain hurts.... I've had Darril's book for 2 months now and did not really read it. So I began reading it today. I could not put the book down and read the first 3 chapters.

Maybe it is just the M$ press books i have been reading... but I like the way it is written thus far. Maybe Darril should write some M$ books so I don't fall asleep reading....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA: Security, MCTS: AD, Security+, Network+, A+
    I've had Darril's book for three days and I'm down to the last two chapters. It is such a good read and I feel VERY prepared to sit for Security+ this Tuesday.

Good luck! Looks like you need a break from the MS stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT Security, A.A.S. Electronics Engineering Technology, ITIL V.3, A+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA (R&S, Security), MTA: 98-364
    I only used Darril's book and passed with a score of 800.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Server+, A+, Network+, Security+, CISSP
    I am using Darril's book as well. I'm on the crypto chapter (chapter 9), and it's really not as intimidating as it first seems once you get into the chapter. It is one of the longer chapters, and I'm sure im going to have to go back through it at least once because of it's length and the depth of the stuff in it. I don't see myself passing the review questions even right after reading the chapter, there's just a lot to absorb.

The previous 8 chapters Ive done well on, roughly 80 - 95 percent on all of them (most of the time, at least in the first 5 chapters, it was reading too fast that lost me at LEAST one if not two questions per chapter). You HAVE to read the WHOLE question, it can not be stated strongly enough, or enough times.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CCNA:R/S, CCENT, ITIL 2011, B.S. IT, CompTIAx5, MCTSx2, MTAx1,
    Darril's book is awesome! I used Darril's book and Transcender and scored 855.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MS:ISA, BSIT:Network Administration, CMNA, CCNA, CCDA, A+, NET+, SEC+, Project+, MCTS(70-680), MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008
    Well I scheduled the test for Tuesday so wish me luck!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    N+, A+, S+, CCENT, P+, CSSA, Datto Tier 2, MCTS Win 7 Config, CEH, CHFI, G2700, FCNSA, MCSA: 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by citinerd View Post
    Well I scheduled the test for Tuesday so wish me luck!!!
    Hey same day as me. Good luck to the both of us.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, MCSA:2008, MCITP:SA, MCTS x 4, MCSE W2K, MCSE: Security, MCSA W2K, MCSA: Security, MCP x Alot, Security +, ACIS, ACSS
    Darril's book is great. I used it on top of my experience and had no problems with the test. If you are hitting 90-95% on the practice test at the end of the book you will have no problems. One trick I did, is I had my wife read the practice test questions to me, but she flipped the order of the questions and answers to make sure I wasn't "memorizing" them. If you have someone that can do the same, that is a good way to study.

The day/night before your test, maybe do one final practice test, then relax. Watch some tv, lower your stress level. Get a good nights rest, eat a good breakfast, give yourself plenty of time to get to the test center, and you will be fine!
    CISSP | CISM | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS | ACIS | ACSS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by joshmadakor View Post
    Darril's book is awesome! I used Darril's book and Transcender and scored 855.
    Yeah I used Trancenders as well, but before I started Darril's book. My Transcender ran out before I was finished with the book, so I only used the books practice questions as a final prep, never renewed the Transcenders. I started them first week of october so they ran out about two weeks ago. I had planned on being certified by then but life got in the way as it can sometimes do and had to push back the test twice... a week each time. But it worked out, still scored an 838. Darril's book is great, and REALLY can be used for this exam on its own.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypntick View Post
    Hey same day as me. Good luck to the both of us.
    Good luck to you too! What time of day? Mine is 11:00 am Eastern.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    N+, A+, S+, CCENT, P+, CSSA, Datto Tier 2, MCTS Win 7 Config, CEH, CHFI, G2700, FCNSA, MCSA: 2012
    Good luck to you too! What time of day? Mine is 11:00 am Eastern.
    I always do the later slots. Going in at 5 pm Central time. Gives me plenty of time to relax beforehand.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I always do the later slots. Going in at 5 pm Central time. Gives me plenty of time to relax beforehand.
    Oh heck no, 9AM only. I cant test later in the day. I want to get up and go to the exam, get it done. Too much time before the test makes you overthink things.

But that's just what works for me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperlantern View Post
    Oh heck no, 9AM only. I cant test later in the day. I want to get up and go to the exam, get it done. Too much time before the test makes you overthink things.

Last job I had started around 3 pm or so. I'm usually comfortably asleep until noonish. Anything earlier than that and I don't function very well at all.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperlantern View Post

Same here and +1.

Your brain is just more alert in the morning. As the day winds down, all you want to do is get in and get out.

But again, that's just me (too). It's not impossible to pass an exam in the evening/afternoon (I've done it. ), but if I can help it, I try to do morning exams whenever possible.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Last job I had started around 3 pm or so. I'm usually comfortably asleep until noonish. Anything earlier than that and I don't function very well at all.

Body rhythm is out of whack. That happens when you are a late-shifter/night owl. I just (recently) became (again) a morning person. My night owl days are pretty much past me.

Regardless though, look forward to the "I passed" post.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I normally would have never scheduled it at 11:00am but since I waited so long and scheduled it on short notice that is what I got. I normally go 8-9 am. I too like to get it out of the way and continue on with my day.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    3 hours till test time....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Good luck with it. I'm still awake, about to hit the sack. Had to reschedule for Friday due to money issues. Not having a job kinda sucks for that.

edit: I stand corrected. The testing center I use is closed for the rest of the week. Gonna be next Monday. Well more study time never hurt anyone.
    Last edited by Hypntick; 11-23-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member
    Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Gl man!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Well I passed 895. Whoo Hoo!!! I think having MCSA and CCNA helped alot. Darril's book is amazing but I think I could have just taken the test and probably got at least a 750. Now with that said I did not get hardly any crypto questions. Any way back to the M$ grind... Gotta get the MCSE.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Trifecta: (A+, Network+, Security+)
    Well I passed 895. Whoo Hoo!!! I think having MCSA and CCNA helped alot. Darril's book is amazing but I think I could have just taken the test and probably got at least a 750. Now with that said I did not get hardly any crypto questions. Any way back to the M$ grind... Gotta get the MCSE.
    Dang near perfect! Congrats, awesome job.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Well I passed 895..
    Congrats!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

Default Studying for Security+ and Darril's Book **PASSED**

Quote Originally Posted by badboyeee View Post
    Dang near perfect! Congrats, awesome job.
    And while I cannot discuss particulars... I am pretty damn sure I marked this question and changed it to the wrong answer before submitting it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Wow 895. That is very nicely done. Glad to see you passed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks