+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..

Default How long did you study for security +?

Also, how long did it take for you to study a+ and Netwrok+?

Coming from basic knowledge of computers and Windows OS.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Probably about 2 1/2 months per exam.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    hey Ver,

I believe youre the one who introduced me to this site, I was reading one of your post from ethical hacker. I'm from Michigan too go wings
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA: 2012R2, MCS: Server Virtualization, MCTS-Win7, Security+, Server+, Net+, A+
    I studied for about the same amount of time as veritas for each. Get Darrils book for this test: Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(V), S+ CCIE V(written)
    1 week. Had years of experience and I think I had already passed my NP by then, forgot thou
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

1 month for the Security+. I had years of experience by the time I took it.

The A+ has been so long ago I really don't remember. 2-3 months maybe?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    I studied for the A+ and Network+ about a month each exam at most.
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:S/W, CCNA, CCENT, MCSA, A+, N+, S+, ITIL V3
    Way too long.... studied both of them on and off for months before scheduling A+ one test at a time. Took 2 months with school and work to pass all 3 tests once I got the first one scheduled. Your mileage may vary.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    [Reserved]
    two days
    I got the call back from the Job on Friday evening. I told the guy, OK, it requires Security+? OK, cool, then I'll just go get that then.

I went to the bookstore Friday evening. After I got back home, I glanced over the book and questions, just to get a feel for it.

Got up on Saturday, read the book all day, doing practice tests each chapter. I believe I ordered the test on Saturday evening, for Monday morning.
    Did the same thing on Sunday, finally completing the book sometime around 4 pm, then broke into the practice exams and loaded the CD

I had actually bought an additional book by Mike from Tennessee (I forget his name now ... but I was so worn out by this time, I could barely look at his book also, and put it down ... I think he is the same guy who was Transcender Mike/Boson Mike from certcities.com forums, but I cannot swear by that.)

Monday morning, I took the break from work at lunchtime (when I had scheduled the test, it turned out to be a holiday, so traffic was very light) went in, took the test, and passed it. I must have finished in 15 minutes or less.

I used the book by David L. Prowse to prepare for it. I forget Mike's name, because I actually gave away my Prose and Mike books to a coworker at my last job (which, in retrospect, was a bad decision, as if he didn't go to Security+ exam after he'd had a class for it at his last job, what makes me think he'd go through the trouble now? .... some people don't have initiative ...
    Last edited by instant000; 04-14-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by YuckTheFankees View Post
    hey Ver,

I believe youre the one who introduced me to this site, I was reading one of your post from ethical hacker. I'm from Michigan too go wings
    Greetings...
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH
    I remember that I had a week and a half to get my security + so that I can become a System Admin. Then of course when I got it they told me I had 3 months and it was not needed day 1 =/

I used gibson's book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP/MCTS,ITILv2 , Sec+ , VCA ( DCV & WM )......and miles to go b4 i sleep..
    Embrassing ....

I did study for the Sec+ Exam on and off for 6 months
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:R&S, CCDA
    I read Darril's book last year in a 2 week time frame. That was it. I did his practice test the night before the exam and then passed it the next day. I'd say there was about 9 months between reading the book and taking the test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSBA in CIS, AAS in Computer Networking, AAS in Business Mgmt, A+, Security+, MCP (70-270), CCENT, CCNA, Cloud+, A+ SME
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    I read Darril's book last year in a 2 week time frame. That was it. I did his practice test the night before the exam and then passed it the next day. I'd say there was about 9 months between reading the book and taking the test.
    Are the questions on the practice exam similar to what you see on the actual test? I scheduled my test for May 14th, and I got the book today. That gives me almost a month to study. I don't have N+ but I have an AAS in Networking so I am familiar with the terminology.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Network+, Security+

I studied 5 days for Net+ and 4 days for Sec+, only using preplogic megaguides and proprofs.com study notes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member
    About 6-8 weeks, passed this week. I'm glad to have it done!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Follow your dreams! IRONMONKUS's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Security +, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, CWNA, CCNA:Wireless
    I just passed the Security + Exam about 10minutes ago and I studied for 52 days. Now on to CCENT and CCNA.

Good Luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member

Thanks
    Why does it matter how long someone else studied for a test? The only thing that should concern you is do you know the material inside and out. It is not only important to understand the material to pass a test, but you should also be able to use what you have learned in the real world.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:R&S, CCDA
    Quote Originally Posted by soooowutnow View Post
    Are the questions on the practice exam similar to what you see on the actual test? I scheduled my test for May 14th, and I got the book today. That gives me almost a month to study. I don't have N+ but I have an AAS in Networking so I am familiar with the terminology.
    I felt the questions were similar enough. By that I mean that I could draw some direct comparisons between the question styles and subject matter. Obviously the book covers all the material for the exam so it should be familiar to you by the time you read the book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A.A.S in Network I.T, CWNA, MCSA:2008, MCTS, A+/Sec+/Net+/Proj+, CIW:JS
    Took me about a month and a half. I knocked it down after a break from my Net+. As long as you have a somewhat relative background in computers, you can do the same. Use Darril's book and one external practice test.. you'll be fine .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member
    CompTIAs are about a month a piece for me.

Im banging out Darrells book right now and it should be no time before I am ready to sit the exam..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS:Electrical Engineering,DRE, AMBCI, MCITP-EA,SA, MCP, CCNA
    two weeks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Sec+, MCP, MCSA 2003, MCTS, MCITP:VA, VCP5, MCSA 2012, MCSE Private Cloud, MCSE Server Infrastructure, C|EHv7, RHCSA, OSCP, GCIH, OSWP
    I glanced over Darrils book for 2 days. Registered for the test on Thursday. Took it Saturday morning.
    2016 Goals: GCIH, OSWP - DONE!
    My OSCP review http://www.jasonbernier.com/oscp-review/
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    Quote Originally Posted by white96gt View Post
    Why does it matter how long someone else studied for a test? The only thing that should concern you is do you know the material inside and out. It is not only important to understand the material to pass a test, but you should also be able to use what you have learned in the real world.

Do questions bother you? I didn't ask how to pass the test or how to apply my knowledge, I just wanted to know about other people and their experiences.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNP: Security/Data Center, CCNA Wireless, CWNA, WCNA
    A+ - Can't give a definitive time for that one... I went through some A+ books and video courses while in high school. Didn't take the cert till I was in college.

Network+ - 3 months it was the elective for my MCSA

(Those 2 were quite a few years ago at this point...)

Security+ - 2 months tops.. At this point I was already familiar with a lot of topics covered. (and also a lot more indepth then what the Security+ covered, I only took it to have it for life )
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks