+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hackman2007 View Post
    I think you'll be fine.

The only practice tests I passed were DG's in the book. Otherwise, I failed them all, even the direct CompTIA ones (I got an 81.

As long as you know the material, you should be fine.
    I would be interested to know which practice exams are the "Direct CompTIA ones..." do you have to buy them? Or was this part of the CompTIA courseware? My company just bought the CompTIA courseware made by ElementK, and I'm hoping I can squeak by in the SY0201 exam using the 2008 objectives labs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    CompTIA offers 20 free practice question for each test from their Website. These are much more difficult than the actual test, so don't be too discouraged when you get 67% the night before (like I did).

They don't give you the answers or tell you the questions you got wrong though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    CompTIA offers 20 free practice question for each test from their Website. These are much more difficult than the actual test, so don't be too discouraged when you get 67% the night before (like I did).

They don't give you the answers or tell you the questions you got wrong though.
    Thanks, that's comforting to know. I am doing quite well with Darrill's book, I've only had it since Thursday and I'm nearly halfway through it, and done well with his tests. I have the added 'bonus' of having the CompTIA courseware, so once I get that I'll work through those labs as well and I can give you folks a review on CompTIA's courseware. But so far Darrill's book is tying things together in a context I can understand much moreso than the ComputerCoach courseware did - that might only be useful for people who already have a deep knowledge of security who need to know which areas are under examination so they can brush up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Darril's book is an all in one exam passer. Very easy to read and understand, you cruise right through it. The questions are accurate and meaningful. I normally don't advise using a single source, but this is the only exception that I can think of where it would be ok to do it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    Darril's book is an all in one exam passer. Very easy to read and understand, you cruise right through it. The questions are accurate and meaningful. I normally don't advise using a single source, but this is the only exception that I can think of where it would be ok to do it.
    And I'm glad of it. CompTIA's courseware is slick and has a lot of bells and whistles (and gives you CEUs) but the activities on changing group policies in Windows and creating Security Templates and such, while they are valuable real-world things, don't do much for helping to pass a multiple-choice exam. so far. However, the first section (which I have already covered in Darrill's book) gave me 100% on the CompTIA section 1 assessment covering CIA and encryption. Kudos to Darrill for relevance.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    GSEC, Security +, Network +
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    What do you want to do for a career in IT?
    So my new plan is to "break into" the cyber security field. The only cert i currently hold is the Sec +. I think the next move should be Net+, and then I'm not to sure. I think I'd like to start with CEH. Any suggestions? I'm very interested in cyber security in general.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    Or should it be Network +, then SSCP?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoal_Man View Post
    So my new plan is to "break into" the cyber security field. The only cert i currently hold is the Sec +. I think the next move should be Net+, and then I'm not to sure. I think I'd like to start with CEH. Any suggestions? I'm very interested in cyber security in general.
    It's rare for someone to walk into an IT security job without any prior network/system administration experience. Consider studying for the CCNA, MCITP:EA, or even RHCSA/RHCE. The traditional path to IT security starts with a network administration role. I'm of the opinion that if you don't know how it all works, you can't secure it!
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    It's rare for someone to walk into an IT security job without any prior network/system administration experience. Consider studying for the CCNA, MCITP:EA, or even RHCSA/RHCE. The traditional path to IT security starts with a network administration role. I'm of the opinion that if you don't know how it all works, you can't secure it!
    I'm currently a Network Admin and a Windows SBS 2003 Admin, and Salesforce Database admin.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    I'm currently a Network Admin and a Windows SBS 2003 Admin, and Salesforce Database admin.
    My apologies. I didn't realize that. Have you considered doing the CISSP? Often it's one of the traditional HR check boxes for IT security jobs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCENT
    I'm pretty sure you don't "start" with the CEH.

That being said, maybe you can. I just looked over the certification outline and it appears you have to a script kiddie? Can someone clarify? Do you need to actually have programming knowledge or do you need to just know how to run programs created already, such as knowing how to use Backtrack?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    I dont really know where to start. I've got a few years experience as a network administrator and sbs 03 administrator, and about 5 years as salesforce admin. I was trained for the salesforce admin position.

Regarding the network and sbs admin. Its all just been troubleshooting by intuition since i have no formal training. I work for a small company we hover between 10 and 20 users. Usually i spend my time diagnosing random errors and problems since i also manage all of the client computers. I just moved all of us from XP to Win 7 last month. Transition went smooth.

I'm looking to get into a big corporate setting. I'm worried that most of my experience won't directly transfer.

I should also say i have a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (Animal) Science. Yep Animal Science.

My interests mainly lie in the Cyber Security Field. It intrigues me and I really want to learn more about it. A career in it seems like it would be enjoyable and a challenge.

Now that you know my life story, would you still suggest a CISSP?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Server+,A+, N+, MCDST, HDI/SCA, MCP, ITIL Foundations 2011, VCA5-DCV,VCA5-Cloud, MTA 98-364
    Congratz on the pass!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    I dont really know where to start. I've got a few years experience as a network administrator and sbs 03 administrator, and about 5 years as salesforce admin. I was trained for the salesforce admin position.

Regarding the network and sbs admin. Its all just been troubleshooting by intuition since i have no formal training. I work for a small company we hover between 10 and 20 users. Usually i spend my time diagnosing random errors and problems since i also manage all of the client computers. I just moved all of us from XP to Win 7 last month. Transition went smooth.

I'm looking to get into a big corporate setting. I'm worried that most of my experience won't directly transfer.

I should also say i have a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (Animal) Science. Yep Animal Science.

My interests mainly lie in the Cyber Security Field. It intrigues me and I really want to learn more about it. A career in it seems like it would be enjoyable and a challenge.

Now that you know my life story, would you still suggest a CISSP?
    How long have you been in this role? You can see the requirements for the CISSP here:

https://www.isc2.org/cissp/Default.aspx
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member

Certifications
    Approximately 1.5 years full time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks