+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Default Just Passed -- Commentary

I just passed with a score of 820, so I guess that I was reasonably well prepared. Here's my comments.

I didn't have any multiple selection questions, this seems to be different than other test taker's experiences.

Main prep book was Cisco's Security+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals, it was pretty good and thorough, this is what I thought that it was weak on:
    * MAC, DAC, RBAC -- never really thoroughly explained.
    * No answers to review questions.
    * No mention of netcat or loki, both of which turned up on the exam.

I read the three free chapters of the Sybex, they helped fill in some gaps about Risk Analysis and MAC/DAC/RBAC, although I think that it could have used more about the different Access Control methodologies.

The practice test here was pretty good... only gripe I have is that there were a couple of Microsoft specific questions, I didn't encounter any OS-specific questions on the exam.

The other practice test I used that I thought was pretty good were the ones in the back of a book in Borders, I think it was Prep Certification Security+.

Any comments on which security cert I should go for next? Cisco? Checkpoint? SANS?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ , MCP 76-210 & 76-215 &70-218, network+ , MCSA, MCSE, Security+, Server+, CCNP, CCNA
    WTG
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    A+ Net+
    Depends on what you do. There are a lot of security exams out there. If you already have your MCSE, you might wanna check out the MCSE: Security specialization as Sec+ counts as an elective for that.

If you really know your stuff, the ISC^2 CISSP is probably the premier certification in this area. It's one doozy of an exam, though. It's a 250 question exam (!!) with 6 hours to complete it.

Otherwise, Checkpoint, Cisco, etc are all good exams. Depends on what you're familiar with really.

- WS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ , MCP 76-210 & 76-215 &70-218, network+ , MCSA, MCSE, Security+, Server+, CCNP, CCNA
    i am going for the mcsa and mcse security before the 216 exam

you could also try the CEH certification (certified ethical hacker)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    A+ Net+
    216 is required for the MCSE Security track, I believe.

- WS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks