+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CTL (Certified TechExam Lurker)

Default Selftest vs Transcender

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for test exams to help me study for the 70-290.
    I was thinking about buying one of the 2 packages offered on this site.
    One is selftest + a voucher for 159USD
    The other is transcender + a voucher for 199usd
    I have used selftest for the 70270 exam and found it ok but io was wondering about sims... ( there was none on the 2 tests i have taken so far: 70-270 and 70-282)

So, is it worth the extra bucks to get transcender or are selftest ok ?

Thanks

Doom969
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, MCSA:S, Security+
    I have used SelfTest software for all of my exams. So far I haven't failed yet. (I just knocked on wood.) The 70-290 practice test from SelfTest has about 10 sims on it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP-2000. MCP-2003, A+, Network+, BS Computer Science, University of Alaska
    I'm a big fan of Transcender's. Have not used them for this exm but overall their practice exams and explinations are great.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CTL (Certified TechExam Lurker)
    Thx,
    I have finally decided to go with selftest. I have used exams from st before and they were close to the real thing, and the explanations are good. The practice exam i downloaded from Self-test has 6 sims in it and from what I can tell, they are very similar to microsoft sims.
    When I studied for 70-270, I used a sf practice test, and it was a bit tougher tha the real thing, so I'm hoping its the same thing this time.....
    When I studied 70-282, I used a measureup test, and it was very bad... Many anwer i did not agree with, and bad esplanationss, sometimes oneliners...
    I have yet to try transcenders...

Thx for the info,

doom969
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, working on 70-290 and CCNA
    I need a free test, only test i got i think is testouts.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of Transcender. I've used them on all three of my certs, and I haven't failed yet
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCP, MCSA, [70-290] [70-270] [70-291], A+, Network+
    I used Transcender on my A+ and Network+ exams and passed those exams on the first try.

I am using Transcender for my 70-290.

I find Transcender practice exams difficult.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundamtdk
    I find Transcender practice exams difficult.
    It's like they're really forcing you to learn the material. What's up with that?

I agree though. The Transcender tests have been consistently more difficult than the actual exam. I'd prefer it that way as opposed to the other...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+
    to be honest with you, I found both ST and Transcender engines to be pretty much the same. Its wierd, in 70-270 test, Self Test was the more difficult version (really specific questions). While for my net+, Transcender seems more "difficult" than the self test. I would see if you can get your hands on the trial versions of the 2 and see which one you prefer more.

At the end of the day, I like the transcender tests a bit better.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snadam
    to be honest with you, I found both ST and Transcender engines to be pretty much the same. Its wierd, in 70-270 test, Self Test was the more difficult version (really specific questions).
    Did you go through the flash cards for the 70-270 in Transcender? Some of those were insanely difficult, such as asking for the command to schedule a backup job with about a half dozen parameters.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. manols
    I used both Transcender and Self-test. Both are good and surprisingly they look alike.

Personally I like Transcender because all the explanation are very clear and I agree
    with all the answers and explanations. It also force you to study more on topics you
    are not familiar with. As for Self-Test there are around two or more questions that I
    don't agree even if I checked it with my study books. Except for this there is no difference.

Manolsky
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik
    Quote Originally Posted by snadam
    to be honest with you, I found both ST and Transcender engines to be pretty much the same. Its wierd, in 70-270 test, Self Test was the more difficult version (really specific questions).
    Did you go through the flash cards for the 70-270 in Transcender? Some of those were insanely difficult, such as asking for the command to schedule a backup job with about a half dozen parameters.

yea, they were hard as hell. You really know your stuff when you can answer those without an issue.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP(W2kPro, Windows 2k Server), A+, Net+

Default I agree

When a went to school a few years back, the instructor would not allow us to use the voucher to take the exam until we passed the Transender test. I agree that the Transender test are hard and it aided in me passing my test. I have never tried Self test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qnet View Post
    When a went to school a few years back, the instructor would not allow us to use the voucher to take the exam until we passed the Transender test. I agree that the Transender test are hard and it aided in me passing my test. I have never tried Self test.
    Both Transcender and Self-Test are owned by Kaplan. Transcender costs about $40 more than Self-Test ($139 vs $99 for the 70-642). Definitely go with Transcender. Having used both simultaneously, the test engines are the same and content is similar. But it's as if they create a very good question set for Transcender, and then censor out the good stuff and re-release it as Self-Test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member
    When I was studying for 70-290 exam, I was using the free mock-up exam I found online at http://www. exam-labs .com/info/70-290 and it proves to be very effective in assessing my knowledge for the exam. I was able to find where I need to study more. When doing the actual exam, there was no surprises for me and everything went smoothly to pass the exam. I highly recommend to use the mock-up exam I found online if you want to pass the exam easily.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks