+ Reply to Thread
  1. 147

Certifications
    70-[290, 270], A+, Network+, CIW-A, and other non-IT

Default Win NT and 2000 questions on the 290

As I've been studying some of my practice material I've noticed a lot of questions which refer to Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000. Most of these refer to how the legacy OSs interact with the Server 2003 environment, but some regard dual booting between the older OSs and 2003.

I'm not familiar with NT 4.0 or 2000 as a server. How much do you need to know about the older OSs in order to pass the 2003 exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Default Re: Win NT and 2000 questions on the 290

Quote Originally Posted by 147
    As I've been studying some of my practice material I've noticed a lot of questions which refer to Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000.
    Get used to it

The dual-booting stuff seems a bit out of place, but maybe it's just basic stuff such as disk structure. You're not going to need to know how to configure NT4 or 2000, but you will need to know what limitations you will come across when working along side those older OSes. It comes up a lot.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCTS, MCSA
    Yeah, I don't think you really need to know much about the older OS', you just need to know the limitations.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. MIPS processor please Mishra's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2012, MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE 2003, MCTS: Vista, VCP4, AAS
    In a real world environment, NT and 2000 still has a surprising presence in companies today. It would be healthy to learn what advantages 2003 has over 2000 and NT and the history behind the OSs. It would actually be beneficial if you created a test lab with a mildly complex 2000 domain and upgraded the entire thing to 2003 without affecting "production" users.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. 147

Certifications
    70-[290, 270], A+, Network+, CIW-A, and other non-IT
    Although I think the exam objectives should more clearly state that the requirement for knowing the 2000 and NT 4 limitations versus 2003, I can see why it will be beneficial to know about the older OSs for the real world.

Thanks for the input on this, everyone.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    life+
    I doesnt seem to have much on the older OS's, but I know we have to understand the various mixed/native mode DFL's for group scope and all that jazz.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Security+ MCP (70-290)
    Good advice. I would add that Microsoft really likes you to know what is new to the 2003 OS. Everywhere your textbook mentions a function that is new to 2003, I would make sure that I was familiar with it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks