+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by m1chael View Post
    I am walking through the exercises in the MS Press book...basically setting up AD with the domain name (contoso), installing DHCP, DNS, etc....how do I set up the ip info as to not interfere with my personal LAN configuration....as an example I see in the book it wants you to set up the server workstation as 192.168.0.1 but my router already holds that ip address so should I just set up my virtual stuff to use something like 192.168.0.10 or 50 or ?
    If you are putting these VMs on your LAN, just assign unused addresses that are available (so 192.168.0.10 is fine if nothing else has it). One concern is DHCP... if you enable DHCP on your test server, you generally* want to disable it on your router, or vice versa. Also, when assigning static IPs to VMs, you should generally** choose IPs outside of the range assigned by the DHCP server (either the router, or the 2003 VM).

* It's OK to have two DHCP servers on a network, but you have to configure them to handout different addresses (make each "Address Pool" non-overlapping). For testing purposes, though, you want to make sure your 2003 DHCP server is working, so it's better to have only one running.

** If you statically assign a VM an IP that is in an Address Pool on the DHCP server, you will need to create an exclusion to prevent the DHCP server from trying to give that IP out to a DHCP client.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, MCP (70-270, 70-290)
    Quote Originally Posted by MentholMoose View Post
    If you are putting these VMs on your LAN, just assign unused addresses that are available (so 192.168.0.10 is fine if nothing else has it). One concern is DHCP... if you enable DHCP on your test server, you generally* want to disable it on your router, or vice versa. Also, when assigning static IPs to VMs, you should generally** choose IPs outside of the range assigned by the DHCP server (either the router, or the 2003 VM).

* It's OK to have two DHCP servers on a network, but you have to configure them to handout different addresses (make each "Address Pool" non-overlapping). For testing purposes, though, you want to make sure your 2003 DHCP server is working, so it's better to have only one running.

** If you statically assign a VM an IP that is in an Address Pool on the DHCP server, you will need to create an exclusion to prevent the DHCP server from trying to give that IP out to a DHCP client.
    MM-

Thanks for all your help...I really appreciate it. I went ahead and assigned static ip's for my vm server and vm xp so thought I was good to go. Then I started doing some basic practice labs through the book and could not get another regular pc to communicate with server. Tried ping command and also tried to join the reg pc to the domain I created but was not having any luck. Did some research online and found out that you need to use the bridged networking mode instead of the standard NAT in order for the rest of your pc's on your LAN to communicate with the VM's. After changing the network settings, I was able to get the two to communicate and completed some labs.

I have not really been using the xp vm I created becse my pc memory is really not adequate at this point so that is why I used a reg machine in my LAN. I will be replacing my memory any day now so now I will be able to just practice using just both the vm server and vm xp. I assume once I am able to use both vm's, I will need to change the settings for the xp guest as well to use the bridged mode in order for both vm's to communicate with each other?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by m1chael View Post
    I assume once I am able to use both vm's, I will need to change the settings for the xp guest as well to use the bridged mode in order for both vm's to communicate with each other
    Yes that would be best.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member
    In your case the best thing would be to set up a host only network. Your vm's wont have internet access but they also wont interfere with your home network. You will also want to shut of the vb dhcp server.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks