+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Member joecontreras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    69

    Certifications
    A.A. in Computer Networking Technology, MCSA, A+, Server+, Working towards MCITP:EA
    #1

    Default Tackled 70-290 today and passed!!

    Just finished taking the 70-290 this morning and passed with an 887. To me this was by far the easiest of all the Microsoft exams I have taken so far. Everything was fairly straight forward and the simulations ( I think I had about 13 or so if not more) were normal things you would and should see if you have had server administration experience.

    Now on to the 70-291 and that one scares me. Any advice on what materials to use for it? I used the Microsoft Self-paced training kit and a little bit of Transcender.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member pml1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    147

    Certifications
    MCSE (2003), Security+
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by joecontreras View Post
    Just finished taking the 70-290 this morning and passed with an 887. To me this was by far the easiest of all the Microsoft exams I have taken so far. Everything was fairly straight forward and the simulations ( I think I had about 13 or so if not more) were normal things you would and should see if you have had server administration experience.

    Now on to the 70-291 and that one scares me. Any advice on what materials to use for it? I used the Microsoft Self-paced training kit and a little bit of Transcender.
    Congrats on the great score! I passed today also with a 775, so I didn't have much room to spare.

    I echo the comments on the exam. The questions are fairly straightforward, and there were way more simulations that I expected. I think what hurt me is that I don't have as much actual face time with Server 2003 as I would have liked.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Member joecontreras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    69

    Certifications
    A.A. in Computer Networking Technology, MCSA, A+, Server+, Working towards MCITP:EA
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by pml1 View Post
    Congrats on the great score! I passed today also with a 775, so I didn't have much room to spare.

    I echo the comments on the exam. The questions are fairly straightforward, and there were way more simulations that I expected. I think what hurt me is that I don't have as much actual face time with Server 2003 as I would have liked.
    Congrats to you also. I think having a lot of simulations is what helped me score as well as I did. It is easier for me to do something than to tell you how to do it!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member pml1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    147

    Certifications
    MCSE (2003), Security+
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by joecontreras View Post
    Congrats to you also. I think having a lot of simulations is what helped me score as well as I did. It is easier for me to do something than to tell you how to do it!
    Yeah, I'm usually the same way. I should have spent more time doing labs and less time reading books.

    Good luck prepping for 291!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    22

    Certifications
    Security+, MCP(270/290)
    #5
    Congrats to you both, I'm taking it tomorrow morning and am hoping for more simulations as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Member joecontreras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    69

    Certifications
    A.A. in Computer Networking Technology, MCSA, A+, Server+, Working towards MCITP:EA
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by pmmcateer View Post
    Congrats to you both, I'm taking it tomorrow morning and am hoping for more simulations as well.
    Be sure you let us know how you did and what you thought of the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Member CompuTron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    540

    Certifications
    BS:IT, VCP5-DCV, CCNA, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCITP:EA, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Project+, CIW
    #7
    Congrats!
    Good luck on the 291.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member Super99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    271

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCP: 70-270, 70-290, CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Wireless
    #8
    Atta boy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    22

    Certifications
    Security+, MCP(270/290)
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by joecontreras View Post
    Be sure you let us know how you did and what you thought of the exam.
    Didn't pass (641), I got about 7-8 labs (40 questions total) but I made some silly mistakes looking up some of the answers afterwards. Disaster recovery is my weak point, as well as software RAIDS and IIS, as I have never done those so I gotta brush up. Not sure yet if I'm going to cram on my weak points and take it again this weekend or wait another week and a half.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member joecontreras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    69

    Certifications
    A.A. in Computer Networking Technology, MCSA, A+, Server+, Working towards MCITP:EA
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pmmcateer View Post
    Didn't pass (641), I got about 7-8 labs (40 questions total) but I made some silly mistakes looking up some of the answers afterwards. Disaster recovery is my weak point, as well as software RAIDS and IIS, as I have never done those so I gotta brush up. Not sure yet if I'm going to cram on my weak points and take it again this weekend or wait another week and a half.
    You were really close. Hopefully, second time is a charm for you. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    22

    Certifications
    Security+, MCP(270/290)
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by joecontreras View Post
    You were really close. Hopefully, second time is a charm for you. Good luck!
    Second time was the charm, passed it today with a 758! Not the greatest score but I'm glad I don't have to take again (and pay again). Had a ton of sims again and a few repeats of the last exam. On to 291! (Of course after a few celebration beers)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member pml1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    147

    Certifications
    MCSE (2003), Security+
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by pmmcateer View Post
    Second time was the charm, passed it today with a 758! Not the greatest score but I'm glad I don't have to take again (and pay again). Had a ton of sims again and a few repeats of the last exam. On to 291! (Of course after a few celebration beers)
    Congrats on the pass! Good luck on 291. I'm trying to finish up some non-cert projects first, but hopefully, I'll be digging into that one soon also.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Artist's impression mikedisd2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,093

    Certifications
    MCSE, CCNA, ITIL, Dipl.IT, 70-620, 70-647
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by joecontreras View Post
    Now on to the 70-291 and that one scares me. Any advice on what materials to use for it? I used the Microsoft Self-paced training kit and a little bit of Transcender.
    Use CBTs. DNS and DHCP are too boring to read about at first go.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member citinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    264

    Certifications
    MS:ISA, BSIT:Network Administration, CMNA, CCNA, CCDA, A+, NET+, SEC+, Project+, MCTS(70-680), MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008
    #14
    Congrats to all that have passed. I joined the club today with a pass. Now good luck to all of us with 291.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21

    Certifications
    B.S.- ISM, MCP, MCSA, A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA
    #15
    Congrats to everyone that passed. I am taking my 70-290 today. I actually took the 291 already and passed it. I hope the 290 is just as easy or even easier.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Still a noob earweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    5,176

    Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    #16
    Congrats to all of the above who passed!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks