+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertKaucher View Post
    Consider this: 270/290 are nearly the same test, 291/293 are nearly the same test 299/298 are nearly the same test.
    Good to know, thx!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Good to know, thx!
    Keep in mind I was speaking very broadly about objectives, not actual content/questions.

I have a very good ability to see relationships between things and this affects the way I learn. Other people are different and tend to see the differences between things more clearly. Both have their good and bad points. I saw the 293 as much easier than the 291 because to me none of the material was really that new. Other folks have said the 293 is harder than the 291 and I believe these are the people who have a tendency to focus on what is different between the two exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Keep in mind I was speaking very broadly about objectives, not actual content/questions.

I know, thats how I took it. Passed 270 this morning, very excited to move on to the 290 stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+
    I know, thats how I took it. Passed 270 this morning, very excited to move on to the 290 stuff.
    Congratulations!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    Good work! Two weeks tops is what I would suggest.

You've got the experience!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    MCP(70-270, 70-290, 70-291), A+, Security+, MCSA, MCTS:Upgrade to 2008 (70-648), ITIL v3 Foundations
    Great thread! I have been debating the same concerns- should I pursue MCSA/MCSE on 2003 or just go for MCTS/MCITP on 2008? should I go for the security designation?
    Through talking to different people this is the path the I have decided to pursue-
    70-270 MCP (done), Security+ (done), 70-290 (testing Monday morning)
    70-291 MCSA, 70-299 MCSA:Security
    70-293, 70-294, 70-298 MCSE:Security
    Then I will do the upgrades to MCITP, which shouldn't be too hard because Win Serv 2003 isn't THAT different than 2008 (so i'm told anyway); even if there are huge differences it's not like Windows Server 2003 is going to be disappearing from most businesses any time soon, so MCSA/MCSE isn't really obsolete. The Security specialization may not impress HR people too much, but it's only 1 extra test(70-299) and learning more about security is probably never a bad thing. Besides the security knowledge lets you shave 1 year off the 5 yrs experience requirement on the CISSP, which is a certification that probably will impress HR people.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Well after a kind gift from Robert TechExams.net IT Certification Forums - View Profile: RobertKaucher (thanks again by the way) I have way more material than I though I was going to have. At any rate my plan is to sit the 290 within 1 month from Monday (april 15th). My material for the 290 will be as follows:

290 Study guide (MS academy)
    290 Lab manual (MS academy)
    Sybex guide
    MCSE Core in a NuShell

2 Server 2003 images
    1 windows 7 image (which will care over into 680)

I will use this thread to keep track of notes and such and track my progress towards my goal (the MCSA Security)
    How's it going on this, K? You scheduled a test date?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    How's it going on this, K? You scheduled a test date?
    I feel off the wagon because of my crazy schedule, school, "job", and other things. I actually felt like I didn't want to do it at all.

All in all I am going to do the 290 hopefully before the end of the month. To aggressive?

April 30th- MCP 290
    May - S+
    May - MCP 291
    June -MCTS 680 for MCSA (with my A+ and N+). I will see where this leads me.
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 04-09-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typeo
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, MCITP:EA, Security+, VCA-DCV
    I don't think that's too aggressive. I am going to be taking my 290 at the end of April. I have about 3 chapters left in Part 1 of the MS Press book. I've been doing fairly light studying as of now though. I really do need to ramp it up. I want to be looking at end of May for my 291 and June 15thish for 680 but we will see how everything turns out. I'd like to get those 3 knocked out while the second shot is going on. If I were you I would focus on the S+ last, I just think that it will deter you from your 291 studies which will be crucial to passing that test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    I feel off the wagon because of my crazy schedule, school, "job", and other things. I actually felt like I didn't want to do it at all.

All in all I am going to do the 290 hopefully before the end of the month. To aggressive?

April 30th- MCP 290
    May - S+
    May - MCP 291
    June -MCTS 680 for MCSA (with my A+ and N+). I will see where this leads me.
    Just gotta' do it. It might be for the 291. But your CCNA knowledge will help a bit there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Just gotta' do it. It might be for the 291. But your CCNA knowledge will help a bit there.
    Hopefully. Wish me luck. I on chapter 4 of the 290 book and I plan to do chapters 5 and 6 tonight (after I get back from the baseball game, go Dragons lol). I am actually excited about doing it again which really helps.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks