+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passed!

Certifications
    CISSP, MCITP:EA, Security+, VCA-DCV

Default Passed!

I took the 290 today and passed with an 831. The test was somewhat challenging. The sims were pretty straight forward you either knew what you were doing or you didn't. I had a couple of questions that tripped me up.

A little background about me for those who are curious. I work at a medium sized organization and do server tasks every so often. I mostly do desktop support but with a smaller organization my roles kind of cross over sometimes. I manage the backup server, setup new accounts in AD, reset passwords but I poke around in server almost daily. I did a pretty good amount of labbing and exploring in preparation also. Overall, I studied a little over a month for the exam.

Study Material:

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-290): Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment - Read through this one twice and did the labs in it.

MCSE Core Required Exams in a Nutshell - Awesome book and highly recommend it for these exams. Don't use this alone though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Congrats on the pass. I just scheduled my test for June 5th. Its going to be a 300 mile drive that starts the moment I get off work and ends at midnight in a hotel just to get to the test center, but it is the only place around that is offering a saturday exam.

I'm using the self paced training kit listed above, along with the ms press book, cbt nuggets, and transcender.

If I don't pass that is going to be one heck of a drive of shame.
    Last edited by Devilsbane; 05-18-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Congrats on the new cert!

@Devilsbane I thought my 1-1/2 hour drive was bad. 300 miles. But then again I can't even find a Saturday testing site in my state..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    I can't even find a Saturday testing site in my state..lol
    I couldn't either, hence the 300 mile hike.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA, Security+, Network+, A+, 70-680
    Congrats! I am hoping to follow in your footsteps in the next month. So what's next for you???
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    291, I'm waiting for my books to arrive for it. I am thinking about buying the CBT's for this one considering how hard I've heard it is.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by xmalachi View Post
    291, I'm waiting for my books to arrive for it. I am thinking about buying the CBT's for this one considering how hard I've heard it is.
    I bought 270,290, and 291 books all at the same time and also bought the cbt nugget pack for all 3 as well. I believe it is $200 for the single, or $400 for all 3.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    I bought 270,290, and 291 books all at the same time and also bought the cbt nugget pack for all 3 as well. I believe it is $200 for the single, or $400 for all 3.
    If I had plans for the 270 I would probably buy the 3 pack but I don't. I already have my elective knocked out for the MCSA so I am going to use Win7 as my client exam. I still haven't decided if I will go for the Nuggets or TestOut either. Thanks for the suggestion though! Let me know if you have any questions in your 290 studies. I'd be happy to help out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Congrats!
    My backround seems pretty similiar to yours. I just broke out the 70-290 Sybex Study guide. Have the cbt's as well. Question...is your Security+ new? I have it, however it's going on 2yr old this June. Is it still good to use as an elective for my MCSA?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by bperiod View Post
    Congrats!
    My backround seems pretty similiar to yours. I just broke out the 70-290 Sybex Study guide. Have the cbt's as well. Question...is your Security+ new? I have it, however it's going on 2yr old this June. Is it still good to use as an elective for my MCSA?
    Since CompTIA certs don't expire, and Microsoft didn't make a distinction about which years they would take, you should be good.

Send your transcript to micrsoft and get it added to your ms transcript now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks