+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,363
    #1

    Default Is it wise to start on this before the Client Exam?

    I found a really good deal on 290 so I picked up the book. I have the OS loaded and ready to learn. Is there any negatives to taking 290 before the client exam?

    I have A+ and N+ out of the way so........
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member someeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    142

    Certifications
    A+,Network+, MCP Certified, 290, 291 in progress
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post
    I found a really good deal on 290 so I picked up the book. I have the OS loaded and ready to learn. Is there any negatives to taking 290 before the client exam?

    I have A+ and N+ out of the way so........

    I would start with the client, there is material that overlaps after you've taken the client which makes it a little more easier.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,666

    Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    #3
    I think you'd be alright. I felt the 290 was easier than the 270. If you do the lab exercises, you can get some experience with adding clients to domain, configuring etc. I think you mentioned in a different post, that you had 5 years experience with XP, so you're good
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,363
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Psoasman View Post
    I think you'd be alright. I felt the 290 was easier than the 270. If you do the lab exercises, you can get some experience with adding clients to domain, configuring etc. I think you mentioned in a different post, that you had 5 years experience with XP, so you're good

    I do have 5+ year. I do appreciate the responses from both of you.

    I have the book coming in this week, so hopefully it will come with a 180 day distro and I can run it on a VM.

    I can't wait to get this rolling! I figured since 680 is a newer exam that will be the last one I do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member Mike-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,848

    Certifications
    CISSP, HDI-SCA, ITIL V3 Foundations, A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT, CCNA, Project+, CCNA Security, MCTS: Windows 7 Config, CEH, CHFI
    #5
    hey just curious... but why do you keep switching? that would frazzle my brain... I have to pick one subject and stick to it until it's done or it eats at me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,363
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
    hey just curious... but why do you keep switching? that would frazzle my brain... I have to pick one subject and stick to it until it's done or it eats at me
    My brain is always frazzled from work
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member someeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    142

    Certifications
    A+,Network+, MCP Certified, 290, 291 in progress
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post
    My brain is always frazzled from work
    Amen to that!! lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    300

    Certifications
    Security+, ITIL Foundations, ITIL OSA
    #8
    Is your work environment XP or 7 and are you still looking for a new job?

    I'd probably do the server exams first if you're still looking for a new job unless you plan on taking the 70-685 exam and/or not planning to do server 2008 exams after. When I was thinking of my future studying/exams it didn't make much sense to do server exams then client exams then server exams. It's all preference really.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,363
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Repo Man View Post
    Is your work environment XP or 7 and are you still looking for a new job?

    I'd probably do the server exams first if you're still looking for a new job unless you plan on taking the 70-685 exam and/or not planning to do server 2008 exams after. When I was thinking of my future studying/exams it didn't make much sense to do server exams then client exams then server exams. It's all preference really.

    We are in the middle of a migration so both technically.


    I am more into the being able to obtain knowledge and functional ability than being certified, however I do want a certification to show my hard efforts, where my reward is, is actually being able to do the work. I want to have server 2008 s2 and set it up for AD, DNS, DHCP, and WINS. I want a file server that is connected. I don't want everything sitting on one session that's easy. I want to connect multiple platforms together, including several clients. One server having PiXiE on it. You get the point. Right now I am nothing but academic knowledge and theory. I want to turn that into functional knowledge. And hopefully with support from this forum and hard work I will get there.

    This is going to take me a while, but I am willing to be patient and to be diligent.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks