+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    26
    #1

    Default Differences between Network+ and Server+

    Hi All,

    Im an Network Admin and Im just now getting some certifications since my hours have been cut

    Question is:
    - what is the difference between the Network+ and Server+ exams. Which one is "higher"?

    Im assuming the server+ exam is higher up, since its actually applied network principles.

    Thx
    Last edited by lespaulman74; 07-28-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Baroo? skrpune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,409

    Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    #2
    They're different animals, in my opinion. I took Network+ last year, and I found it to be a larger volume of material than Server+ but not necessarily harder or easier by design. I don't think that Server+ is higher...if I had to pick, I'd say that Network+ is probably more difficult for a couple reasons - much wider array of topics and hence more things you have to know how to troubleshoot. I'd liken Server+ to A+.

    (DISCLAIMER: do take all that with a grain of salt...I just took the Server+ beta exam so I have no idea how I did yet, and this is all just my opinion.)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #3
    What sort of work do you do? Those seem to be pretty low-level for someone with six years of experience. Also, the Server+ doesn't have a lot of recognition, so you might want to reconsider that one unless you have a specific need for it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,073
    Blog Entries
    1

    Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpune View Post
    I'd liken Server+ to A+.
    In looking at the exam guidelines for these, (I'm studying up for the Server+ beta at the moment,) I'd say that this is an accurate assessment. A+ and Server+ both focus on hardware and operating systems, in addition to networking concepts. While Server+ certainly goes deeper into networking, (being that it focuses on network operating systems and servers,) it doesn't begin to cover the same kind of material that Network+ does in that area.

    As for which one is more advanced, that's tough to tell since they're very different. In terms of recognition and prestige, the Network+ is definitely going to look better on your resume and be recognized by more employers. Server+ isn't completely foreign to employers, and the knowledge you pick up studying for it is certainly beneficial, so I say go for both.

    -------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. aka KitKatNinja
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    970

    Certifications
    Alot - Microsoft, Citrix, HP, Apple, Comptia and VMWare
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by lespaulman74 View Post
    ...Question is:
    - what is the difference between the Network+ and Server+ exams. Which one is "higher"?
    What is the difference between the two? The Network+ concentrates on Network toplogy, cabling, the OSI, etc... While the Server+ concentrates on server hardware, software, etc...

    As for which one is higher... Well they are both on the same level, just different areas. At least in the UK, see here: Welcome to CompTIA UK . Both have been assessment to the national qualification framework (NQF) at level 3.

    -ken
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. MSDT Ron Brandt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Regina Saskatchewan
    Posts
    55

    Certifications
    CCNA MCITP A+ SERVER+ SECURITY+ NETWORK+
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lespaulman74 View Post
    Hi All,

    Im an experienced Network Admin (6yrs) and Im just not getting some certifications since my hours have been cut

    Question is:
    - what is the difference between the Network+ and Server+ exams. Which one is "higher"?

    Im assuming the server+ exam is higher up, since its actually applied network principles.

    Thx
    The Network+ is like a CCENT. I wrote it last month and was quite easy. The Server+ is really A+ for enterprise. I'm doing the Server+ 2009 beta two weeks from today.
    BTW, I do not work in IT as a profession.
    Ron
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. ITDufas TravR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    331

    Certifications
    A+ Net+ Security+ Server+
    #7
    People are still doing the Beta for this?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    #8
    Hi.
    Actually i am looking for the same information and here could i found something related to it so it help me for my proper guideline regarding the preparation..
    Thanks for sharing the post..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpune View Post
    They're different animals, in my opinion. I took Network+ last year, and I found it to be a larger volume of material than Server+ but not necessarily harder or easier by design. I don't think that Server+ is higher...if I had to pick, I'd say that Network+ is probably more difficult for a couple reasons - much wider array of topics and hence more things you have to know how to troubleshoot. I'd liken Server+ to A+.

    (DISCLAIMER: do take all that with a grain of salt...I just took the Server+ beta exam so I have no idea how I did yet, and this is all just my opinion.)
    I accept with information: The Network+ concentrates on Network toplogy, cabling, the OSI. While the Server+ concentrates on server hardware, software
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    229

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA
    #10
    Holy necro thread Batman!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. 1337sauce
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ze South
    Posts
    1,539

    Certifications
    BS, Linux+, Security+, LPIC-1, MCSE Server 2012, MCSE Desktop, MCSA Server 2008, MCTS 70-[415,681], MCTS 74-409, VCA-DCV, Novell CLA/DCTS/CNS, HDI CSR
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmantenor View Post
    Holy necro thread Batman!
    Bot says that sounds great!

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    62

    Certifications
    MCSE CCNA CCNP
    #12
    Server+ is suitable if you want to take systems administration path, and Network+ is suitable if you want to take network administration path.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128

    Certifications
    BSBA MIS, VTSP, VCA-DCV
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by asoft View Post
    Server+ is suitable if you want to take systems administration path, and Network+ is suitable if you want to take network administration path.
    Old thread but wanted to bump for this post... I really have no interest in the future in the networking path, my focus/goal is towards system administration/virtualization/servers so I would assume a good place to start would be Server+? Although involved to a slight degree, I talk to SA's and VCPs all day, all who seem to have no real knowledge of networking outside the basics. Maybe study for Network+ but skip the actual test?

    I am thinking off the top of my head the tests actually worth taking (ie paying money for) would be MCSA/Server+/Security+ from the getgo as security seems to be a pressing issue no matter which path/vertical your in. Maybe the A+ just for resume purposes?
    Last edited by burfect; 07-03-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Elite Member Params7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    244

    Certifications
    CCNA
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by burfect View Post
    Old thread but wanted to bump for this post... I really have no interest in the future in the networking path, my focus/goal is towards system administration/virtualization/servers so I would assume a good place to start would be Server+? Although involved to a slight degree, I talk to SA's and VCPs all day, all who seem to have no real knowledge of networking outside the basics. Maybe study for Network+ but skip the actual test?

    I am thinking off the top of my head the tests actually worth taking (ie paying money for) would be MCSA/Server+/Security+ from the getgo as security seems to be a pressing issue no matter which path/vertical your in. Maybe the A+ just for resume purposes?
    If you're looking for Sys Admin/engineering positions then knowledge of both networking and servers will come in handy. Getting server+ cert after reading through network+ study guides also will help.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks