+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Default What should i do next after 1st line support?

Hi.

Please can someone give me some advise/guidance is to where i should go next in my IT career?

I graduated in 2004 with a 2:1 in Business/IT, I have been working in 1st line support in a bank for nearly 2 and half years. I would like to progress to the next step, would i believe is second line? Dont i have to do qualifications/ courses?

Is thee any chance i can skip second line and go into Networking admin?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thank you
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    You should start working on the certiications and apply for hands-on jobs such as Desktop Support. You've paid your dues doing the helpdesk for 2 years, start applying for jobs.

You really cant go from helpdesk to net admin, unless you get very lucky. Think of it this way, if you were the Operations Manager for a company, would you give access to the firewalls, core switches and routers to someone who has never logged into the console of a device?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thank you so much. I agree think i am getting ahead of myself.

Would you be able to advise me what qualifications i should be doing, there are so many?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Sure. Some folks might recommend beginning with the CompTia Network+, but I'd recommend the CCENT. You have worked on the helpdesk for a while, it's quite likely you know something about networking. Grab the Wendell Odom book and start reading.

Head over to the CCENT/CCNA forums where there is tons of great info. Stick around this website, it's an awesome place to be.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    And the CCENT gives you way more ROI than the Network+. In addition, as you go through the CCENT, you'll know if networking is for you. It wasnt for me which is why I am into the Microsoft side of things.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thank you so much for your help!! deffo a good start...

I ll get started ..

Thank you once again and I ll be sticking round for sure
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    You should start working on the certiications and apply for hands-on jobs such as Desktop Support. You've paid your dues doing the helpdesk for 2 years, start applying for jobs.

You really cant go from helpdesk to net admin, unless you get very lucky. Think of it this way, if you were the Operations Manager for a company, would you give access to the firewalls, core switches and routers to someone who has never logged into the console of a device?
    I agree with my esteemed Australian Friend.

To the OP it's time to get Cisco certified.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee786 View Post
    Hi.

Please can someone give me some advise/guidance is to where i should go next in my IT career?

I graduated in 2004 with a 2:1 in Business/IT, I have been working in 1st line support in a bank for nearly 2 and half years. I would like to progress to the next step, would i believe is second line? Dont i have to do qualifications/ courses?

Is thee any chance i can skip second line and go into Networking admin?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thank you
    CISCO Certified my friend like Ess and Turgon mentioned!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks