+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    303

    Certifications
    A+, AA in Technical Support
    #1

    Default Interested in Server+, is it the right cert for me?

    As many of you know, I was studying for the N+, but seem to be not continueing due to lack of interest. I thought networking was my thing, but maybe its not. Just to boring. I also was studying the MCTS: Windows 7 cert, but found out that they did not have the updated information. So I did not continue studying for it.

    Now I am interested in the Server+, and am wondering if this really is the cert for me and if it expires in 3 years like the A+, N+, and Sec+? I really love the hardware aspect of IT and managing OS's and troubleshooting them for users.

    Also,

    What books should I get for the Server+? I would really like to know. I hope to continue this cert and actually finish it. I already have my A+. It's just a matter of picking up another cert and actually finishing it. I am going to school while doing certs and currently right now on my summer vacation, and I have my first IT job, which lasts until September 16th.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,363
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Armymanis View Post
    As many of you know, I was studying for the N+, but seem to be not continueing due to lack of interest. I thought networking was my thing, but maybe its not. Just to boring. I also was studying the MCTS: Windows 7 cert, but found out that they did not have the updated information. So I did not continue studying for it.

    Now I am interested in the Server+, and am wondering if this really is the cert for me and if it expires in 3 years like the A+, N+, and Sec+? I really love the hardware aspect of IT and managing OS's and troubleshooting them for users.

    Also,

    What books should I get for the Server+? I would really like to know. I hope to continue this cert and actually finish it. I already have my A+. It's just a matter of picking up another cert and actually finishing it. I am going to school while doing certs and currently right now on my summer vacation, and I have my first IT job, which lasts until September 16th.
    Server + is a fun certification to get. Relatively easy and fairly informative. This cert doesn't expire like A, N or S +.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    229

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA
    #3
    From what I have seen, it's relatively hard to find decent study material for the new (2009 objectives) Server+ exam. There is an ebook for Kindle that Amazon sells, but I have not personally read it... I will continue to research and let you know if I see something; I have interest in possibly taking this at some point as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    303

    Certifications
    A+, AA in Technical Support
    #4
    Same. Please suggest any material that would be helpful. Thanks all.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,363
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Armymanis View Post
    Same. Please suggest any material that would be helpful. Thanks all.
    Complete Guide to Servers and Server+
    by Michael (Michael Graves) Graves
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Nothing clever to say
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    521

    Certifications
    MCTS: 70-642, AAS Net. Admin
    #6
    How do you like your first IT job? Do you truly enjoy it? Can you see youself doing it for quite some time?

    I ask because of your comments about networking "not really being your thing", as well as stopping your studying for the Win 7, instead of getting newer material. Maybe IT is not your thing? I'm not trying to be mean, it is a legatiment question that you should think about?

    Hopefully you'll find that you have a knack/passion for a certain technology, or something entirely different.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    303

    Certifications
    A+, AA in Technical Support
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasMN View Post
    How do you like your first IT job? Do you truly enjoy it? Can you see youself doing it for quite some time?

    I ask because of your comments about networking "not really being your thing", as well as stopping your studying for the Win 7, instead of getting newer material. Maybe IT is not your thing? I'm not trying to be mean, it is a legatiment question that you should think about?

    Hopefully you'll find that you have a knack/passion for a certain technology, or something entirely different.
    I really like dealing with hardware and troubleshooting software. That's really more my thing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Aim Small, Miss Small universalfrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Posts
    242

    Certifications
    PMP, MS Info. Sys. Eng., BS BIS, AAS-AST,Security+ CE, Network+ CE, Server+, CCNA,ITIL v3, MCTS:Win7 Config.
    #8
    The Lammele (spelling) book from Sybex on Net+ is great for folks, but his first couple of chapters are a bit confusing (not the material, just the structure he presents and then instantly tears down to build anew the next chapter).

    The Poulton book for 70-680 is the one you want to have. Get it, a copy of 7 enterprise edition (free 90 day trial download from Microsoft) and a copy of 2008R2 (again free trial 180 day copy from Microsoft) and study, do the labs and you will pass.

    get the Net+ and the Microsoft 7 70-680 test's done and you can head down a couple of paths. If you do 70-680 might as well get gibson book for the 70-685 and 686 tests and read it over and take those.

    For net+ it is a good step towards the CCENT and then the CCNA (get the ICND 1 and 2 books from Cisco) .


    any cert takes the time to study and then study some more and apply the material to labs, etc... You won't just get a cert handed to you.

    If you know your stuff then you pass. If not, then you fail.....

    Certs are a must for IT...I won't hire a tech if they do not have the pertinent certifications, and I don't care how much they know the job. During the last round of layoffs I had to let go of 6 guys. They were great techs, but none of them had the latest certs for what were supporting (all said they were studying, but hadn't taken the certs, ummmm.. we have been supporting vista for serveral years now, so they were basically lying to me)...

    again get the books, schedule the exams and then study.... if you have the exam scheduled it gives you the motivation to study and actually care about the cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member whatthehell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA.
    Posts
    914

    Certifications
    Server+,A+, N+, MCDST, HDI/SCA, MCP, ITIL Foundations 2011, VCA5-DCV,VCA5-Cloud, MTA 98-364
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by universalfrost View Post
    The Lammele (spelling) book from Sybex on Net+ is great for folks, but his first couple of chapters are a bit confusing (not the material, just the structure he presents and then instantly tears down to build anew the next chapter).

    The Poulton book for 70-680 is the one you want to have. Get it, a copy of 7 enterprise edition (free 90 day trial download from Microsoft) and a copy of 2008R2 (again free trial 180 day copy from Microsoft) and study, do the labs and you will pass.

    get the Net+ and the Microsoft 7 70-680 test's done and you can head down a couple of paths. If you do 70-680 might as well get gibson book for the 70-685 and 686 tests and read it over and take those.

    For net+ it is a good step towards the CCENT and then the CCNA (get the ICND 1 and 2 books from Cisco) .


    any cert takes the time to study and then study some more and apply the material to labs, etc... You won't just get a cert handed to you.

    If you know your stuff then you pass. If not, then you fail.....

    Certs are a must for IT...I won't hire a tech if they do not have the pertinent certifications, and I don't care how much they know the job. During the last round of layoffs I had to let go of 6 guys. They were great techs, but none of them had the latest certs for what were supporting (all said they were studying, but hadn't taken the certs, ummmm.. we have been supporting vista for serveral years now, so they were basically lying to me)...

    again get the books, schedule the exams and then study.... if you have the exam scheduled it gives you the motivation to study and actually care about the cert.
    Thanks for the recommendation on the Poulton book. Will be sure to check it out!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Aim Small, Miss Small universalfrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Posts
    242

    Certifications
    PMP, MS Info. Sys. Eng., BS BIS, AAS-AST,Security+ CE, Network+ CE, Server+, CCNA,ITIL v3, MCTS:Win7 Config.
    #10
    i originally bought the poulton book for myself, but my guys have borrowed it and all that have read it have passed the 70-680 with high marks. just read the book, do the labs and pass the practice exams.

    as for server+ i would recommend it if you work in a server environment or a noc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks