+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CCENT

Default New to Database Administration. Looking for some guidance.

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently an IT Professional. I have 3 years experience at my current job in an Enterprise IT environment doing technical support at the Tier 1 & 2 level. I am looking to change my focus towards something new. I am very organized, I have previous experience with programming (not much but enough to get by) and being more left brain I love logic and structure. A friend of mine suggested I look into Database Administration. I built a very basic MySQL database and some PHP code to go with it years ago for a friends website and thought I'd revisit this field.

My question to all of you is where to begin? I picked up SQL for dummies and so far it feels like a tough read. I'm sure I will pick it up once it gets into exercises and examples but it seems like the author is over complicating things right off the bat. I plan on taking a DBA course being offered by an IT University local to me but that won't start until next year. I want to get a head start and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good reading for beginners.

Also, If I wanted to pursue a career in Database Admin, would the Microsoft Certs for SQL be worth taking? What are employers looking for nowadays? I know nothing beats experience but if you are trying to get your foot in the door, what would shine on a resume?

Cheers!

Nate
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    Try this book for learning about how to be DBA: Exam 98-364 MTA Database Administration Fundamentals: 9780470889169: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com

And try this one for learning how to script in SQL Head First SQL: Your Brain on SQL -- A Learner's Guide: Lynn Beighley: 9780596526849: Amazon.com: Books

98-364 could be a good cert. I recommend you start with the two books above, skip the MTA exam unless you need the confidence and go study for the MCSA: SQL Server exam set once you finish these two books. You'll be well prepared to take on a junior DBA position after that, especially given your experience.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlSaiyed View Post
    Try this book for learning about how to be DBA: Exam 98-364 MTA Database Administration Fundamentals: 9780470889169: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com

And try this one for learning how to script in SQL Head First SQL: Your Brain on SQL -- A Learner's Guide: Lynn Beighley: 9780596526849: Amazon.com: Books

98-364 could be a good cert. I recommend you start with the two books above, skip the MTA exam unless you need the confidence and go study for the MCSA: SQL Server exam set once you finish these two books. You'll be well prepared to take on a junior DBA position after that, especially given your experience.

Thank you so much! I actually have the head first PHP book, it is AWESOME. Probably one of the best books I've ever read as far as presentation goes. I will give your other recommendations a try as well.

Cheers!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks