+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    MCSE: Servers, Sec +, MCITP:DBA 2008, MCSA SQL Server 2012/2014

Default MCSE Data Platform - nachodba's log

I recently switched contracts on my job and now I'm required to get this cert within 90 days. Not a huge deal since I already passed one of my upgrade exams from my MCITP DBA 2008 but just a drag since I didn't need it for my last position.

I plan on using my virtual lab and the official MSPress Books (maybe), with a lot of technet, msdn and labbing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP(70-271), MCDST, MCTS:Vista Config, CompTIA A+ (2007 IT:Tech), Network+, MCITP: EDST, MCTS: Window 7 Config, MCSA: Windows 7, Security+
    Sorry for Necroing this post but how did you make out with your efforts? I considering the SQL server paths and curious hear the choices you made.

Did you pick up the MS Press books and did they help at all?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Unfortunately shortly after making this post two of my DBA coworkers left and I didn't have much time after that. I have been getting to play with new technologies so although I haven't made any progress on the certification I have had a chance to grow. I will say that I found the MS Press books to be great, but opinions vary on them. I would rent them from Amazon.com and give them a quick read.

If I ever decide to continue with the MCSE Data Platform I'll post updates.
    2017 Goals - MCSA SQL 2016 Database Administration, MCSA Windows Server 2016
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    ITIL V3 F, ITIL OSA, ITIL ST
    Keep it going!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    You're right, might as well. I'll at least get my lab setup tonight after work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    Heck yeah I am going to hit another module here at work, watch it on 1.5x speed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    In case anyone is interested, I found an excellent guide on setting up an Active Directory Domain on a VM using VMWare Workstation.

virtxpert

I plan on getting this setup tonight and get at least two SQL Servers configured with Always On by tomorrow night.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Well I was able to get my SQL 2016 Availability Group setup last night and got a great sample database by using the Stack Overflow database. For instructions on getting this database, see https://www.brentozar.com/archive/20...ia-bittorrent/.

Also while setting up the lab i realized that my current disk setup wasn't up to par. I had to purchase another 1TB WD Black to get to the point where I could run 4 VMs - 1 Active Directory Domain Controller, 2 SQL Servers and a management workstation - all at once without getting terrible slow down.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Well. I just found out that the 70-458 exam (upgrade MCTS SQL 2008 to MSCA SQL 2012 Part 2) expires on Sunday. I went ahead and scheduled the exam for Sunday at 9AM so I can get late nights for the week dedicated to studying for the exam. The exam covers 70-462 and 70-463, I'm not so much concerned with the Administration as I am the Data Warehousing. Luckily I have my new lab and the official MS Press for 70-463.

Even if I fail this exam, I know I will learn a lot about Data Warehousing over the next week. The downside if I fail is I will have to take all the SQL 2016 exams, but work should reimburse so it's not a huge loss.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Microsoft just released the Certifications for SQL 2016. The MCSA is now only 2 exams, as opposed to three. I cancelled my 70-458 exam and decided to just concentrate on the MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Administration ​certification.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    Any material out for those 2 test MCSA? Development, BI or Admin?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    None yet. They will likely be released within the next few months. I've been working with 2016 in my lab at work since CTP3 was out so I might try for the beta exams on the Admin track.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    Nice! I myself would focus on the BI side, probably already said that 2 or 3 times already..... It's what I know the best, in fact I know SSDT formerly BIDS better than I know SSMS installs and backups etc..... I do use SSMS daily for the last 3 - 4 years so that's been mastered and then some but no reason to cert in something you have little to no experience in!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks