+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    70-461, ITIL V3 F, ITIL OSA, ITIL ST
    I was able to get another nugget in before I head out, error catching and error raising. Went over commits, roll backs, XACT_ABORT and some syntax, when and where you would use it. How to create custom error messages through stored procedures.

So far it's shedding some knowledge on this particular area of SQL. This one was the shortest ~15 minutes long. I have 3 - 4 more nuggets left to watch and then I'll probably go through them one more time.
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 07-30-2016 at 08:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    Just completed Optimizing Queries. ~34 minutes

Covered 4 forms of locking and commit and rollback. Pretty straight forward if you have experience with SQL. I'm going to actually hit the sack early tonight, I am worn out from the weekend. Lots of rum and house work, however I did get 3 modules in.

I'm going to have to purchase another 70-461 books. Maybe I can look for another training book, for some reason I hate that book.

Anyway I am down to 3 more nuggets and I will have completed the course. Like I mentioned earlier next time I am going to run through each lab and incorporate some reading and then eventually take practice test.......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Stalling, had someone leave our team and I have been building automation solutions like crazy. Still reviewing but focusing more on cardio, trying to mitigate the stress, watching video doesn't do that same unless I hammer a few beers.
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 08-04-2016 at 04:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Hit Murach's book for XML page 602. Legit chapter, nowhere near done ~3 pages in, 3 kids and a wife. However they are on summer hours and I am heading to bed so hopefully I can knock out 10 pages in the AM and get another 10 in at lunch. I believe the whole chapter is ~80 pages so I should be able to get through that in the next week. Following up with the XML video after the fact and some labbing. This is ~25% of my studying focus.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Back to the XML CBT Nugget, ~43 minutes. Covering all the XML material in the nugget which aligns with the 70-461 test. Keeping it going strong.....

Really digging deep into Schema's. Pretty crazy how you can list out the elements and attributes but link to the database with a schema coded into your XML document.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    Complete the XML nuggets, starting over again from nugget 2, create tables. Just making sure I understand the complete material. Moving onto creating and altering views. This is a lot of review, but covering schemabinding and other elements to views will be helpful, I hope!

Side note, downloaded the practice files and added the solution to solution explorer. Never used it before, I really like how it organizes your code, if you haven't looked into this I would highly recommend. You can group your folders and add your scripts along with connection strings to other environments.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Completed chapter 3 views. Discussed schemabinding and view_metadata while creating the view. The lesson covered query execution plans and indexes.

I'll try to swing to chapter 4 today, with full lab. It should start to get me prepared for the exam. I'd like to get through once more before I schedule the exam.

Disregard - This is a tips and trick segament nothing to do with the exam, skipping this one and moving onto creating and modifying constraints (Chapter 5). Out of the 20 nuggets there are about 2 maybe 3 that you can skip if all you want to do is pass the exam. Hands raised!
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 08-08-2016 at 01:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    Skipped 4 and went to 5 (a required nugget covering indexes and constraints. Covered a lot of good information, Unique, Check, Primary, Foreign, Default. Also covered creating them at the table level and on columns with naming conventions. Also adding expressions to the constraint itself. Went over some additional information such as creating a ERD and how to save it and reference it. Overall a good nugget, even if for only learning. Either way I am feeling it today, kind of weird it's my off day and I am feeling energized.

Going to have to pry myself a way, kids are getting up and school is back in mid August so I want to get out and do something. Besides to much SQL can get OLD!

I might be on later to go over DML triggers. I'll lab this one as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Exhausted. Completed the XML nugget again using full lab. Wow tired..... It was a good session, 3 nuggets completed today, they are all ~45 minutes long along with labbing add another 30 minutes to each at least.

Lunch is prepared I'll work through an easier nugget tomorrow, something where I will most likely not lab just watch and review. Maybe Cursors or Triggers..... However, there are some questions about Triggers I remember that from the exam previously.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Registered for the exam August 17th 9am cst. Bought the booster pack so brute force might be an option if required. Busy today, but will review again tonight and work through some practice exams. It's go time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    Remember when answering the questions make sure you pick the "MS" answer not the right one. I was going to use ISNULL, it clearly stated easier which IMO it is, but they went with Coalesce, which should of been the no brain answer but I let my arrogance and experience win out. Ugh.....

Just ran through the Kaplin exam, 8 questions, 2-2 on the create objects, optimization 1-2, the data querying 0 - 2 lol. Good times!
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 08-09-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    Made it through 30 minutes out of 45 in the CBT nugget series, covering Triggers. I'm going to finish up the last 15 (it drives me nuts leaving things incomplete) and then hitting the flash cards for a while, at least 1 hour.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    Been hitting it hard since last Thursday. Reviewing the Kaplin/ Transcender exam flashcard training. I've gone through those quit a bit. Feel like I need additional review over XML, (Always need that) Stored Procedures, Functions and Optimizing. Went through the lab on Stored Procs this morning. I have the mobile CBT so I'll review that today as well, probably hit the flash cards again and review the test questions from transcenders.

I'll have to hit Triggers one more time as well. Best case I can get 2 more modules done today, functions and triggers (hopefully). Weds at 9 am cst is my test so...... I did get the booster pack though so 5 total takes should be enough.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE: Servers, Sec +, MCITP:DBA 2008, MCSA SQL Server 2012/2014
    Awesome progress man. I can't hope to get some free time so i can continue my MCSE path.
    2017 Goals - MCSA SQL 2016 Database Administration, MCSA Windows Server 2016
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    Thanks! Back at it again, reviewing note cards from transender.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    Hit it again for ~ 3 hours tonight, drank a cup of coffee around 8:50 pm and I am still up 12:17 am. Finally starting to fade. Still sucking on parts of the practice exam, hoping the stars are aligned when I take this Wednesday. It will be my 3rd attempt.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Tomorrow is the day at 9 am. Boss is cool with me taking off the AM, no vaca required. I'm done with the videos and books it's been flashcards for the last 2 days and today is no different.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    Today is the day. Went through ~ 20 flash cards going to hit ~90 - 100 then run off to the testing center, I'll follow up pass or fail. I'm relaxed I have 4 other retakes besides this one lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. I drink and I know things Ertaz's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, CSA+, GPEN, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by DatabaseHead View Post
    Today is the day. Went through ~ 20 flash cards going to hit ~90 - 100 then run off to the testing center, I'll follow up pass or fail. I'm relaxed I have 4 other retakes besides this one lol.
    Good Luck Bro!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    FINALLY - PASSED THE EXAM. 713 out of 1000, with the cut off at 700. Crazy, barely passed it.

It was an internal struggle several times I had wanted to quit and all the questions except maybe 15 out of 54 were CHALLENGING. I scored nearly a 100% on querying and under 50% for the rest, Troubleshooting and Optimizing, Modifying Data and Creating Database Objects. Those were all around 48% if I had to guestimate from the primative graph.

I have a ton of work staring me at in the face with all these problems, but passing this certification isn't one of them anymore. RELIEVED!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member

Certifications
    Net+, CCENT, CCNA, Sec+
    Congrats!
    Besides the CBTnuggets, what other materials and resources did you use?

I just passed my CCNA and I am looking into either MCSA Desktop or Server.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    @Ling with the CBT nuggets comes the Kaplan/Transcender test with flash card mode I found that helpful. (If I had to guess I would say because of that I could answer 3 - 5 more questions. Which in my case was the difference between passing and failing. I also read the Training Kit about 2 years ago........

Sources

Youtube, searching for specific skills related to the exam, example functions.
    Training Kit, never read the whole things, but I did go over several chapters several times, some of the chapters I went over 10 times. XML is a good example of that. I had to throw the book away in fact I used it so much on CERTAIN chapters, the pages became unglued from the binding.
    CBT Nuggets was decent, but by itself it isn't enough to pass
    Transcender / Kaplan exam was helpful

For me it was like scratching and clawing to pass the exam. You may get one piece of knowledge from the youtube video but then the next question you are recalling info from the practice exam or flashcards. They did a really good job of weeding out the pretenders, I almost got wacked.
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 08-18-2016 at 01:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    Reviewing the next cert and determining which one I want to do, leaning towards any test that focuses on SSAS, SSIS or SSRS. Administration will be last....
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 08-19-2016 at 01:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    The engine has been started, moving on to 70-463. This should be easier, I HOPE, honestly no clue. I do set up a lot of packages including building OLAP cubes and mining structures, even started building tabular models on the new BI edition of SQL server. I'll keep a running total of my efforts to get through this exam.

Hoping to get through the first two modules, intro and building dimensions. ~1.5 hours worth of viewing.
    Last edited by DatabaseHead; 08-19-2016 at 01:02 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    Going to sift through dimensions and facts, total review. As I begin to look at this material it's becomes increasingly apparent that this won't take as long or be as hard to pass. 70-462 I think will be the one that takes a while. I'm going to get aggressive with this one, get a 5 shot booster pack and brute force this one.

I'm going to run through the CBT's twice, one followed by the same one until I complete. I'll review the first one and then lab the second time through. After that I will go with the flashcards and then practice exams. I'm going to have to get the training kit as well for reference. What I ended up doing for 461 was reading the chapters that made sense to me and continually read them. The ones that didn't do it for me I just skipped all together and filled my knowledge in regards to those chapters through youtube etc.....

Just wanted to map out my strategy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks