+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 First 12 3456 ... Last
  1. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    That is good progress! @Zorodzai, I am using the MS Press boko by Itzik.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+,N+,OCA MySQL, ITIL-F (2012),MCTS: SQL 2008 DB Dev.
    Cool, I've also got a copy of the book and am going through it. Initially I wanted to do SQL 2008 certification but have decided it might make more sense to just go for 2012
    Currently Pursuing:

BSc Information Systems and Management (University of London International Programs)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Just about done chapter 5 and starting on 6. Got a bit bogged down on ROLLUP and GROUPING, the book's way of explaining it had me slightly confused. Can't wait to start on the XML stuff......
    Currently Pursuing:

BSc Information Systems and Management (University of London International Programs)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Agreed the XML information looks very helpful in my role.

Keep it up. I plan on hitting it hard this week. I have a few resumes to write as well so I'll have to have good time management.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE: SharePoint 2013, Productivity
    Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post
    Agreed the XML information looks very helpful in my role.

Keep it up. I plan on hitting it hard this week. I have a few resumes to write as well so I'll have to have good time management.
    The XML was a good piece to learn. I had fun doing it as I was able to actually use it in the work place while I was studying. I do have some notes down on my PC about this subject, if you like I will hunt them down and copy them here.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    @knownhero - would most definitely love to check your notes if you manage to locate them.
    Currently Pursuing:

Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    FYI haven't studied for over a week. Work has been crazy, well not really but I keep telling myself that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    lol, I know the feeling. I haven't made much progress - hopefully can back on track after Easter, had a number of project scopes and a bunch load of testing to get through
    Currently Pursuing:

Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    I finished the book this last Sunday, about halfway through the TrainSignal videos now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    @Carl - good progress. Which topic(s) did you find hardest to get through ?
    Currently Pursuing:

Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorodzai View Post
    @Carl - good progress. Which topic(s) did you find hardest to get through ?

For some reason I had a really hard time with the window functions in lesson 3 of chapter 5. I didn't immediately understand what makes a window and what makes a frame after reading the lesson.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    Please add your notes Known that would be awesome.

I was thinking about going with this book instead of the training kit.

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 T-SQL Fundamentals: Itzik Ben-Gan: 9780735658141: Amazon.com: Books

10 for 10 awesome reviews. This might not align with the certifications as well but for my job role I think it would be more helpful. Thoughts?

Does this align with the adventureworks 2010 data?

@ Z

I know the feeling. I have been writing more PowerShell than I have SQL lately and most of the data I have been working with has been dumped and I am cleaning up and analyzing with Access and Excel.

I'm used to be cert crazy now it takes a lot of effort and a job that aligns with the curriculum or I won't be able to pass the exam.
    Last edited by N2IT; 03-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, MCITP:SQL Server 2008 DBA, MCITP: SQL 2008 BI Developer, MCSA SQL 2008 & 2012, MSCE SQL 2012
    N2, that looks like a pretty good book also. It looks like they are using dummy database that you create to query instead of adventureworks. Either way should be sufficient. I read the 461 training kit and I thought it was decent but not amazing. I think it's a good idea to have multiple references since there were multiple sections in the training kit that were quickly covered. I also believe that aligning the learning with your job duties is more useful than purely for certification purposes. For me, I am more motivated to learn things that are relevant to work duties that can help me improve my performance.

Powershell is very handy and powerful. Sadly it did not change much from 2008 to 2012.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member
    I mainly use it to pull machine information from WMI. I work on an asset management team as a data analyst so I do a lot of solution providing and lookups. Most of the time my job is to find discover were assets are located or how many licenses we have out there. As you well know, data is not always perfect so sometimes we do major cross walks across 6 - 7 datapoints to build a level of confidence. This in turn allows us to help the PMO build out schedules etc for rollouts. At least this is what I have been doing thus far. Thanks for participating in this thread. I am feeling it tonight so I will be hitting the CBT's for 461

Agent quick question since I am not an enterprise SQL guy (yet)

Do you find data road maps consisting of mainly views? We have road maps for all our departmental infrastructure and it's all built out in views. I understand from a performance and security standpoint. Is this common place for analyst to have to query against views and not the actual tables themselves?

I suppose at least we have a roadmap of the schema of the views.
    Last edited by N2IT; 03-28-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    You guys make me so jealous right now. I really miss working so much with SQL Server. Right now I do very little SQL work almost all C#/ASP.NET MVC, JavaScript, web services and SharePoint.

Have any of you looked at the SQL 2012 Master Data Services? I am really, really excited about that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    Robert I have not but I'll give it a look. Right now I am looking for something functional that will help me with querying against these views. Then hopefully get the chance to take the 461 exam.

Thanks for calling that out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    @N2IT - I have the SQL 2008 edition of the T-SQL Fundamentals and I LOVE it. It's a bit heavy reading at times but I really like how he goes in depth explains all the concepts instead of just listing out queries as some books do.
    Currently Pursuing:

Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    Z thanks for the validation on the book. I am going to purchase this hard copy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member
    Scheduling exam this week (90%) chance. FYI
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    All the best.......keep us updated
    Currently Pursuing:

Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member
    Will do, I'll be reluctant if I fail again lol

Hopefully this exam is easier than 433 lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    IMO it was easier than 432. Good luck, please let us know how you make out!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member
    5 and some change.

Didn't fare so well obviously.

I've been off the last two days at work so I need to get caught up on somethings but I will follow up some lessons learned.
    Last edited by N2IT; 04-03-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Don't give up.......

which areas did you find the hardest (if you don't mind my asking) ?
    Currently Pursuing:

Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member
    I was annoyed so I didn't even look. I remember my highest category was working or manipulating data. Everything else was relatively low and all about equal.

XML was scaled back, I only had 3 questions this time whereas I had 7 or so on 433.

It just overmatched me, I am not a DBA nor a programmer I merely use SQL to uncover information that is needed when canned reporting doesn't deliver what I need.

This maybe a good thing that I didn't pass. It speaks to the quality of the exam and that I am not ready nor do I need it.

I really hope this doesn't come across as sour grapes, but I just don't think this exam represents my skills. It's way to much. I really want to get the book from ITZIK. I really think this will end up adding more value to my needs at this moment and time.

If you can pass this exam you have some nice skills.

It wasn't all a loss the information I gathered from studying will add some value. Especially around views. I spent a lot of time research views and their limitations and strengths.

Z you probably can handle this certification. From the decisions you have had on here and the other SQL certifications you have, you probably have enough to pass.
    Last edited by N2IT; 04-03-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks