+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 First 123 45 Last
  1. Senior Member
    I'll get it next time. I'm not really fratting about it. I've done enough of these exams that you don't always pass them, you just retake them and move on. See it's nice to have the certifications, but sometimes getting a certification the 1st time doesn't always validate the skills, so it's just means you really need to understand **** really well. They say for the VCP you need 6 months of hands-on experience, I have 4 months of book learning and honestly 2 months of live-deployment knowledge.

As for the ICM question, yes that's a fair assessment it's not enough. The class gets you enough to get the cluster installed, up and running, tied into vcenter and connected with storage, vSS networking, basic permissions and basic alarms. - it doesn't however cover into the depth you need for the exam on vDS, DRS, HA, FT, vApp's, Resource Pools, VSA, VUM and in-depth permissions/alarms or PowerCLI. (i didn't even study PowerCLI and it really showed today)

I know what questions I got wrong, most of them probably 60 of them I knew the answer in less than 15 seconds, the rest I had to flag and come back to and some of them I guessed and that were I got screwed....

I've already been taking it to a new extreme, just completely blew away the lab and re-doing it from scratch now minus the ISO datastore and the 2008 R2 Template with all 330 windows updates - plus this time around making a dedicated Windows 2008 R2 server on a desktop outside of the cluster instead of the iffy Banana Pi with the Samra DC so I can perfect windows authentication for vCenter.

Does anyone know a good tool I can use on a Netflow VM, I was thinking wireshark but I figured I'd ask, maybe someone has a better option.

Lastly does anyone know a tool I can install on a VM that can intentionally tax the CPU and/or memory? - I want to see if I can make a DRS cluster but the only way I can truly test it out in the lab is if I can put load on the VM's so I can see the automation happening.
    Last edited by Deathmage; 12-17-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Itrimble View Post
    Sorry to hear that bud. My test is tomorrow at 9:00 am. I found a few more links to look at :

Do I Know This Already? VMware VCP5 - Datacenter Virtualization Exam | Pearson IT Certification

And you should still have another 70% of voucher that you can use from the Stanly course, so that should take out the sting.
    I just got a 83% on the assessment quiz, I'm serious i was one measly question on that exam, so pissed!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtyCycle View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you pass on the next try. Is it safe to say that the Stanly course and reading the Scott Lowe book front to back is not enough to prepare for the test?
    I thought reading Lowe's book was enough to pass.
    2017 Certification Goals: Fun filled world of AWS
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Quote Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
    I thought reading Lowe's book was enough to pass.
    I disagree. I read the book and have ~3 years experience with vSphere suite at the enterprise level on a daily basis and still had a difficult time on the test. However, I used the process of elimination when it came to the solutions for the questions as I've seen maybe 1-2 actual issues from the test in a production environment. My thought is that most of the questions come from their call center, which means you need to be able to use the process of elimination and have hands on experience with the product.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    HP Devices,Cloud+,Server+,A+,N+,Security+,Project+,CIW ID0-610, CIW ID0-520,CIW ID0-635, MCSA Office 365,MCSA 2012, MCTS 70-533 , GSEC, GCIH
    Well, I just took the test...... didn't pass . I actually thought I did great on the test while I was taking it. I will take it again in January or February with a new study plan.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Well, I just took the test...... didn't pass . I actually thought I did great on the test while I was taking it. I will take it again in January or February with a new study plan.
    awww that blows. Well I know how you feel but like we both know you can't always pass them you just gotta keep chugging along, pick yourself back up and go at it again...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verities View Post
    you need to be able to use the process of elimination and have hands on experience with the product.
    This is the reason in a nutshell...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    Cisco CCNA, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+
    Dang, fellas, now you've got me scared haha. I haven't started studying for the VCP yet but I just started getting more exposure to vmware at work. It's been interesting to say the least!

Anyways, keep at it guys, you can do it!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joemysterio View Post
    Dang, fellas, now you've got me scared haha. I haven't started studying for the VCP yet but I just started getting more exposure to vmware at work. It's been interesting to say the least!

Anyways, keep at it guys, you can do it!!
    I'm persistent and never a quitter so I'll nab it one way or another...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    I'm trying something different this time around, each question in the practice exams I'm 'working' them into the lab and seeing which one is the best answer, it seems to be helping me so that I have a mental imprint of the answer from working to resolve the same results in a working cluster...

@itrimble - found this helpful.... just made a VM of this...

Deploying VMware vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA) (Linux) - vmwiki

Last edited by Deathmage; 12-19-2014 at 02:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    HP Devices,Cloud+,Server+,A+,N+,Security+,Project+,CIW ID0-610, CIW ID0-520,CIW ID0-635, MCSA Office 365,MCSA 2012, MCTS 70-533 , GSEC, GCIH
    I will definitely look into this. Great find.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE VCP2 VCP3 VCP4 VCP5 VCAP4-DCA VCI
    The ICM class aligns to the majority of the exam objectives, but not all of them. The Fast Track class includes the ICM plus additional materials/labs and is the class that most closely aligns to the exam.

As for a CPU stressing tool, have a look here: https://communities.vmware.com/message/493857#493857

Save the text into a file, save it with a .vbs extension. To run it, right-click the file and choose "Open with Command Prompt". Running a single instance will stress a single vCPU (1 virtual core to be more exact)

I honestly think you've used too many different resources - so many books, study guides, and practice exams... While they have value, I believe a simpler approach is best - the blueprint, the documentation, and a lab to try things out.

Best of luck for your next attempt.
    Last edited by scott28tt; 12-19-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott28tt View Post
    The ICM class aligns to the majority of the exam objectives, but not all of them. The Fast Track class includes the ICM plus additional materials/labs and is the class that most closely aligns to the exam.

As for a CPU stressing tool, have a look here: https://communities.vmware.com/message/493857#493857

Save the text into a file, save it with a .vbs extension. To run it, right-click the file and choose "Open with Command Prompt". Running a single instance will stress a single vCPU (1 virtual core to be more exact)

I honestly think you've used too many different resources - so many books, study guides, and practice exams... While they have value, I believe a simpler approach is best - the blueprint, the documentation, and a lab to try things out.

Best of luck for your next attempt.
    Thanks, Scott! - it's just a test, I'll do it till I pass...

Indeed, I've already blown away the lab and rebuilt it thus far minus I saved 3 templates in a datastore (and I kep all the physical infrastructure the same: core switches, iSCSI switches, and NAS) that are my updated Windows 7 box, Windows 2008 R2 standalone server, and a the last would be the Primary DC for my home-network with all updates allied and Domain Services installed on it. I additional before I dropped the cluster made a physical DC so that the forest would survive.

I've been in the process of rigorously going thru each line in the blueprint more deeply than last time...

Knowing what to expect on the exam makes my nerves less stressful now...that's half the problem I had..
    Last edited by Deathmage; 12-19-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

I will be following this suggestion as I don't want to spend too much time preparing and still end up not passing. I think the ICM course from Stanly is good, it was fast but it covered most aspects. Part of the exercise was the CPU stress test to see how DRS works, it's good enough for me but is it really needed to work more on it? I will read the Lowe book cover to cover then work on the blueprint then off to sit for the exam. I'm more interested in seeing the test questions rather than passing on the 1st try. One question though, I read the blueprint yesterday and didn't see PowerCLI mentioned in it however I noted the OP stating it was on the exam. Any thoughts on this? Has anything changed?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtyCycle View Post
    I will be following this suggestion as I don't want to spend too much time preparing and still end up not passing. I think the ICM course from Stanly is good, it was fast but it covered most aspects. Part of the exercise was the CPU stress test to see how DRS works, it's good enough for me but is it really needed to work more on it? I will read the Lowe book cover to cover then work on the blueprint then off to sit for the exam. I'm more interested in seeing the test questions rather than passing on the 1st try. One question though, I read the blueprint yesterday and didn't see PowerCLI mentioned in it however I noted the OP stating it was on the exam. Any thoughts on this? Has anything changed?
    without voiding the NDA, all content in the blueprint including command line structure should be studied as-well as the products outside of the esxi 5.5 suite.

for instance I didn't work with the DCUI as much as I should have and it's a bummer since yesterday I spent 6 hours getting really intimate with it and I'm finding the logs inside of the linux substructure are very helpful verse the error logs inside of vCenter or ESXi on the vSphere client. There is also a ton of commands that dish up way more information than the client can do...

like the following, to name a few:

network firewall get
    network firewall load
    license oem update
    Last edited by Deathmage; 12-20-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    So instead of re-hashing the book from Scott Lowe for a 3rd time I just got the vmware press book for VCP510 this morning at B&N and I've read just under 350 pages today, got about 250 to go. it's pretty much redundant knowledge but I figured since I have to wait another 5 more days before I can reschedule mind as well read something new...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I also got the the VMWare Press guide. It got favorable reviews on Amazon and it just cost $33 with the dvd, practice test, and videos from Pluralsight. I'm going to be diving into it at the beginning of the year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    I also got the the VMWare Press guide. It got favorable reviews on Amazon and it just cost $33 with the dvd, practice test, and videos from Pluralsight. I'm going to be diving into it at the beginning of the year.
    Ya $33 on Amazon wasn't bad. Ordered it Thursday got it Friday afternoon, Prime baby! I'm going threw it and most of it I know already. Paying more attention to details as I'm sure since you just took the exam so you know what I mean...

Nearly finished with it. I put on my iPod and just went at it reading. I passed out around 2am. Something like 14 hours yesterday I spent reading and or labbing as I read along..

I'm determined to pass next time!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    What did you put on your iPod ? The Videos ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member
    What did you put on your iPod ? The Videos ?
    Relaxing techno music. Plus the Keurig Coffee maker 2 feet away for endless coffee
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member
    So learned something tonight, something really new:

In order for you to migrate a Virtual Adapter or a Physical Adapter to a vDS switch, basically move is from a vSS to a vDS you can't have your cluster in a DRS/HA with FT enabled cluster. Especially one with a few vApp's on it. I literally had to tear the whole cluster apart and disable the datastores in order for me to migrate the vSS port/kernel groups to the vDS. What a pain in the arse!
    Last edited by Deathmage; 12-22-2014 at 02:06 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    I just finished reading the "The Official VCP5 Certification Guide" for VCP510 from VMware Press, it was only roughly 560 pages. Wasn't a hard read, tagged a few pages and paper clips on the maximums (since I seem to have sucked on them on the exam), however today my back-drop for studying was different. Just read for the past 4 hours in the park near the Washington Monument here in Washington, DC so that was interesting.

Now I'm just going to use the flashcard on the DVD and take the practice exam a few times, hopefully it has some informative feedback on the practice exam so I know were to study more....

On a closing note, dear lord gas here is $2.35 a gallon; it's 2.85 back in NY, this is crazy... How low can it go?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE VCP2 VCP3 VCP4 VCP5 VCAP4-DCA VCI
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathmage View Post
    On a closing note, dear lord gas here is $2.35 a gallon; it's 2.85 back in NY, this is crazy... How low can it go?
    It's £1.12 per litre close to me in the UK, that's roughly $9 a gallon - and it's dropped by over 20% in the last 6 months or so...
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Gas is around $2.09 in Louisiana and $1.99 in Mississippi.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member
    It's £1.12 per litre close to me in the UK, that's roughly $9 a gallon - and it's dropped by over 20% in the last 6 months or so...
    wow us yankee's take for granted cheap gas.... $9 a gallon, geez!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 First 123 45 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks