Thread: Stanly Jan-Mar

1. Senior Member

Certifications
    A Few
    I Signed up sometime in September
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA, GIAC G2700, VCP5-DCV C|EH, ISC2 CISSP, AWS-PSA (Most have Expired)
    I received the VMware IT Academy book yesterday and I am quite disappointed with the content and layout of the book. I think it is enough to pass the class but not even close enough to pass the exam. I will probably take the time after the class reading Scott Lowe's book before sitting for the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. The whole Shebang! hiddenknight821's Avatar

Certifications
    BS: IT-Security, AAS: Applied Computer Technology, CompTIA Trios, Project+, CCNA: Security (Expired), RHCSA
    Someone pointed out that this is just an ICM (install, configure, manage) class, which doesn't cover everything on the blueprint. So, if you purchased the textbook that goes with the course, then that book should suffices for the class alone. You might want to get the VMware Press book covering VCP5-DCV.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Information Assurance

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003, 74-409, MCITP:SA, CISSP
    Registered and payed for the class and am very excited to take it...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCSA, CCNA, VCP5-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddenknight821 View Post
    Someone pointed out that this is just an ICM (install, configure, manage) class, which doesn't cover everything on the blueprint. So, if you purchased the textbook that goes with the course, then that book should suffices for the class alone. You might want to get the VMware Press book covering VCP5-DCV.
    For what I've seen so far (see my post above regarding books), I like Sybex's VCP-DCV Study guide (5.5) by Atkinson better than the VMware book. It is much more organized and the sequencing is well planned. I love Pearson's Cisco books, but for VMware, I think Sybex did a better job. I will give more comments as I advance reading both books side by side. Once I finish both books along with Stanly's class, I will go thru Lowe's book in detail, I hope to have a better understanding of ESXi by then.

/g
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, VCA-DCV
    Bump.....

Has anyone received anything from the professor of the class regarding next week. I know the class starts next tuesday. Just asking/
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    A Few
    Haven't heard or received anything yet. Its getting close to the start date.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Security, CCDA, Project+, Linux+
    We haven't heard anything either. I suppose as long as we do by Tuesday it's good, but I think it would be nice to have several days to review the class guidelines and get logged into any sites we'll be using and familiarize ourselves with them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, CCNA R&S
    Haven't heard anything either. I would have preferred the books to have had an ebook version, oh well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member
    i haven't heard anything yet.
    but i'd like to hear home lab setup to prepare before class starts....

thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    A Few
    Just got an email
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Welcome to Stanly Community College and your VMware vSphere class.

Your instructor is Dustin Poplin, and his information will be posted in Moodle for you. This course officially begins Tuesday, 13 January 2015, and your access to the class will begin at that time and not before that date. Once you have reviewed all the information in this email, it is very important that you login to our virtual classroom in Moodle on the first day of class to make sure your username & password work and that you can access the class. Please complete the Introductory Assignment on the first day of class.

If you have any login issues, let us know right away by contacting our Technical Support Team. Their contact information can be found at https://stanly.freshdesk.com/support/home . You can reach the Technical Support by telephone, email, or even live chat.

The Stanly Community College Moodle site Welcome to Stanly Community College is our main class website. Everything you need to complete this class is located here in our virtual Moodle classroom. This class is conducted entirely online in an asynchronous manner which basically means it is available 24/7. You can study at your own pace provided you meet the minimum due dates set by your instructor.
    Stanly Community College requires all students to show regular and satisfactory progress in any course in order to maintain access to the class. This includes, but not limited to the completion of assignments and/or labs as directed in the course. Any student who does not show progress in the class within the generally accepted time-frame of two weeks will be dropped from the course. Students dropped beyond the 10% census date will not be issued any refund of tuition paid. Your instructor will give you further instructions from within Moodle on the first day of class.

If you are new to Moodle, your Moodle username is comprised of your first initial of your first name + entire last name + last four digits of your student id. Example: jdoe1234

Your Moodle password consists of your first 2 initials of last name (1st capitalized) followed by a six digit representation of your birthday in the format of mmddyy. Example: John Doe with a birthday of Jan. 5, 1985: Do010585
    Should you need to reset your password, please follow these instructions:

· You will need to login to https://webadvisor.stanly.edu
    · Go to the “Reset Password” link at the bottom of the WebAdvisor page
    o Follow the instructions posted
    o You will need your complete student id number which was sent to you under another email when you registered.
    · You can also contact Technical Support

Once you login to the class, you will find information on the course contents, topics, labs, assignments, etc.

The required textbook information is as follows. The price quoted is from the Stanly Community College Bookstore (704-991-0229):
    · TITLE: VMWARE VSPHERE 5.5: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE
    · AUTHOR & PUBLISHER: GILMORE
    · NEW: $43.50 + tax
    **Please Note: Pricing information is subject to change based upon updated data from publishers & instructors** There is an additional shipping charge base on your UPS zone.
    This class ends 03 March 2015. In addition to learning new information & skills, we hope you enjoy your online learning experience here at Stanly Community College.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    A Few
    Good Luck everyone. Have fun!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCP,MCSD,SCP, VCA:DCV,Cloud,WM
    I didnt get any email till now. . : worry:
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Just got my mail too. I can't log into Moodle but I'm not sure if that's because it's not actually available until tomorrow (the email only says the class itself won't be, so it's a bit vague). I guess I'll keep a watch in this thread to see if others have access before I decide if I'll try to contact the help desk or wait until tomorrow before trying.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    Got the mail .. well ..

Your instructor is Jeff Drake ..............................

Got on my personal email. . not on student mail ..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by bermovick View Post
    Just got my mail too. I can't log into Moodle but I'm not sure if that's because it's not actually available until tomorrow (the email only says the class itself won't be, so it's a bit vague). I guess I'll keep a watch in this thread to see if others have access before I decide if I'll try to contact the help desk or wait until tomorrow before trying.
    I can login now .. No prob with login .. please checkkkk again ..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, VCA-DCV
    Same login as your web advisor to pay for the course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I hadn't realized I'd changed my password back when paying for the course, so that was why I couldn't get in. A little guesswork on what I'd changed it to got me in.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member

Certifications
    I hadn't realized I'd changed my password back when paying for the course, so that was why I couldn't get in. A little guesswork on what I'd changed it to got me in.

I think , its one password for 3 accounts .. :think:
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    can we create a group and learn together ? if any one interested ? ..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    A Few
    Im cool with that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, CCNA R&S
    I got my email too, this should be interesting.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCSA, CCNA, VCP5-DCV
    Sorry. Real IT guys don't have Facebook accounts

Quote Originally Posted by muneebkalathil View Post
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by GAB1900 View Post
    Sorry. Real IT guys don't have Facebook accounts
    hehe . So u think Bill gates , mark zuckerberg etc are not real it guys ? . . :P .. just a joke
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks