Thread: Stanly Jan-Mar

1. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCP,MCSD,SCP, VCA:DCV,Cloud,WM
    class started
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member
    i've lowe's book so didn't purchase text book would that be fine???

would this class prepare for vcp-dcv ???

thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCSA, CCNA, VCP5-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by kernel99 View Post
    i've lowe's book so didn't purchase text book would that be fine???

would this class prepare for vcp-dcv ???

thanks
    I have mixed feelings about the books, so let me expand on this. Now, I just started the class yesterday so I have not read the whole thing yet (obviously), so this is my first impressions. But on my defense, I took the same vmware class on ESXi 4.1, so I know the book since the format is the same.

First, the bad.
    I think Stanly's book is not overpriced, but shipping is. I paid almost $70 for the set with shipping, and shipping alone was $20+. They ship it "signature required" which is somewhat inconvenient for some of us. Also, the book doesn't go as deep as other text books, like Lowe's or from Vmware Press. We all know this class is not enough to pass the test, is just a pre-requirement. The 3 books are in a small format, and half of each page is divided between the powerpoint slide (what you see on the video) and the text below, which sometimes is read completely by the teacher.
    Also, the lab book doesn't match the labs you will need to do in class. Once again, I just got started but looks like they are not the same.

The good.
    This is the book for this class, not necessarily for the actual test. So, it will help you pass this class. It's broken down in a lot of small parts and easier to follow that a 100 page chapter. Yes, you still need more info, but for the class is fine. The teacher sometimes will read the text you see in the screen, and sometimes he will read (or worst, interpret) the bottom half of the page and I know some important informa. I love having the book since I can read the whole thing, since the teacher not always reads everything. So by just watching the videos, you miss half of the information you should receive. The labs, since they are different, you have to sets that you can practice with. But other study guides have much better labs. I always over spend on books... the class costs so low that I don't mind spending the extra money.

Yes, once the class is done, I will read my other 3 books (I told you, I like having books) and will review the documentation recommended.

I hope this helps.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member
    thank you so much.
    i hvn't bought the book yet i just wondering if i be able to pass just by reading lowe's or study guide vmpress book.
    i felt like the text book doesn't have much info than required and it costs shipping like crazy..

without text book will be fine???
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    VCP6-DCV, MCSA: Server 2012, VCP5-DCV, CCNA:Sec, BCvRE, MSCA Win 7, CCNA:R&S, CCENT, Network+, A+
    Any one else having trouble scheduling labs the last 2 days
    2017 Goals
    Recertify: CCNA R&S
    Linux Knowledge
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Security, CCDA, Project+, Linux+
    We got an email about it yesterday, asking us not to reserve over the weekend while they tried to fix issues people were having with the pods:

We are aware of the issues that everyone is experiencing with accessing the labs via oll2.stanly.edu. We are working diligently to correct them, but it is taking some time to do so. We ask that you do not make any reservations over the weekend or even into the first of next week. You will be notified when they are back online. However, you can continue to read the course materials and watch the videos.

Due to the delay in you being able to work in the labs, we will be extending the class by one week in order for you to have the appropriate time to complete the course requirements. The new end date will be March 10.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but please be assured we are working as quickly as possible to correct the NetLabs issues. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your instructor.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. The whole Shebang! hiddenknight821's Avatar

Certifications
    BS: IT-Security, AAS: Applied Computer Technology, CompTIA Trios, Project+, CCNA: Security (Expired), RHCSA
    I just made my first lab reservation, and I see there are only three pods at the time of this writing. I was rather surprised to see how inconvenient this is as I couldn't work on the labs any time I want to. Is this normal or is it part of the issue?

I made one-hour reservation for each lab. I hope 50-min is plenty to do the first few labs each as I had very little experience playing around with vSphere client and ESXi host.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    The other day they had several pods available. When they started having problems, the count went down to three. I am wondering if they're still down since we haven't received any emails that's OK to try again.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCP5-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by GAB1900 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the books, so let me expand on this. Now, I just started the class yesterday so I have not read the whole thing yet (obviously), so this is my first impressions. But on my defense, I took the same vmware class on ESXi 4.1, so I know the book since the format is the same.

First, the bad.
    I think Stanly's book is not overpriced, but shipping is. I paid almost $70 for the set with shipping, and shipping alone was $20+. They ship it "signature required" which is somewhat inconvenient for some of us. Also, the book doesn't go as deep as other text books, like Lowe's or from Vmware Press. We all know this class is not enough to pass the test, is just a pre-requirement. The 3 books are in a small format, and half of each page is divided between the powerpoint slide (what you see on the video) and the text below, which sometimes is read completely by the teacher.
    Also, the lab book doesn't match the labs you will need to do in class. Once again, I just got started but looks like they are not the same.

The good.
    This is the book for this class, not necessarily for the actual test. So, it will help you pass this class. It's broken down in a lot of small parts and easier to follow that a 100 page chapter. Yes, you still need more info, but for the class is fine. The teacher sometimes will read the text you see in the screen, and sometimes he will read (or worst, interpret) the bottom half of the page and I know some important informa. I love having the book since I can read the whole thing, since the teacher not always reads everything. So by just watching the videos, you miss half of the information you should receive. The labs, since they are different, you have to sets that you can practice with. But other study guides have much better labs. I always over spend on books... the class costs so low that I don't mind spending the extra money.

Yes, once the class is done, I will read my other 3 books (I told you, I like having books) and will review the documentation recommended.

I hope this helps.
    So do i need to get the Stanly book in order to do the labs and pass the class successfully? Did anyone have their remote access test fail when trying to connect?
    Last edited by zcarenow; 01-20-2015 at 05:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddenknight821 View Post
    I just made my first lab reservation, and I see there are only three pods at the time of this writing. I was rather surprised to see how inconvenient this is as I couldn't work on the labs any time I want to. Is this normal or is it part of the issue?

I made one-hour reservation for each lab. I hope 50-min is plenty to do the first few labs each as I had very little experience playing around with vSphere client and ESXi host.
    Lab 2 takes at least 1.5 hours. I was unable to complete it the first time and had to schedule it again. I've found if you complete a lab early you can free up any remaining reservation time, so I've been reserving a 4-hour block, then free-ing and re-reserving for each lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The other day they had several pods available. When they started having problems, the count went down to three. I am wondering if they're still down since we haven't received any emails that's OK to try again.
    Yesterday (Monday), there were 3 pods available for most of the day. I managed to get the first 7 labs done. Today there are 3 but they're all full. I didn't know there were more than 3 at some point, but if today is any indication, more are definitely needed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    RHCSA, LPIC-1, VCA-DCV, MCSA (2k3), SAP B1
    There were 5 pods earlier last week before the second email came out about how we should wait to schedule labs. I actually logged into the lab the first day and could've sworn there were 10+ pods, so I think they're being taken off the site when they're not working.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. The whole Shebang! hiddenknight821's Avatar

Certifications
    BS: IT-Security, AAS: Applied Computer Technology, CompTIA Trios, Project+, CCNA: Security (Expired), RHCSA
    Thanks for the heads up, bermovick.

Okay. It just got really bad. I got kicked out of the first lab this morning. I thought I accidentally close down the session window, but that wasn't the case when I tried to start my second lab I reserved an hour later. I couldn't get in the second one, and got an error message telling me an admin's working on it. I guess we get what we paid for. I ought to try completing several modules and get ahead of class once the pods are back online to avoid this mishap.

Question: Are we suppose to answer the questions in the lab worksheet or just do the labs and inform the instructor that we did the lab by submitting the date of the lab?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, VCA-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by bermovick View Post
    Lab 2 takes at least 1.5 hours. I was unable to complete it the first time and had to schedule it again. I've found if you complete a lab early you can free up any remaining reservation time, so I've been reserving a 4-hour block, then free-ing and re-reserving for each lab.
    So its beneficial to reserve the whole 4 hours on all labs?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddenknight821 View Post
    Question: Are we suppose to answer the questions in the lab worksheet or just do the labs and inform the instructor that we did the lab by submitting the date of the lab?
    I was wondering that too, but you CAN'T fill in the pdf (it doesn't have whatever allows you to input data into a pdf), and when I checked around, it looks like you just complete the lab in the main class page and input the date that you completed it.

Quote Originally Posted by alexfamous View Post
    So its beneficial to reserve the whole 4 hours on all labs?
    Yeah, I'm doing it whenever I can. If I finish early I try to re-reserve any remaining time. I managed to sneak in a 30-minute reservation for lab 7 last night and completed it with 0 minutes to spare.

So far only lab 2 has been a beast. All the other ones are easily done in an hour (lab 3 might be pushing that though)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, VCA-DCV
    Yeah, I'm doing it whenever I can. If I finish early I try to re-reserve any remaining time. I managed to sneak in a 30-minute reservation for lab 7 last night and completed it with 0 minutes to spare.

So far only lab 2 has been a beast. All the other ones are easily done in an hour (lab 3 might be pushing that though)
    Thanks for the feedback. So, would it be safe to say if I reserve 2 to 3 hours for each lab per 4 hr block, and then if i finish early i can reserve the rest for another lab. Per example, hypothetically i can reserve lab 1 from 12pm - 3pm within the 12pm - 4pm time block. I finish the lab by 2pm and then reserve lab 2 from 2pm - 4pm.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member

Certifications
    We were told not to use/reserve any labs until they notify us. Please stay clear until they get it fixed. We all want to complete our work but we need to let them do theirs first.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by alexfamous View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. So, would it be safe to say if I reserve 2 to 3 hours for each lab per 4 hr block, and then if i finish early i can reserve the rest for another lab. Per example, hypothetically i can reserve lab 1 from 12pm - 3pm within the 12pm - 4pm time block. I finish the lab by 2pm and then reserve lab 2 from 2pm - 4pm.
    You risk someone coming in and scheduling 3pm-? after you though. By grabbing a full 4 hour block, unless someone cuts in during the short time between free-ing up the remainder after completing a lab and re-claiming the time by registering another, you get it all.

This wouldn't be an issue if they had more pods available, but right now there's only 1, for 53 people. If there were 5 like kyl said they saw then I probably wouldn't care as much, but 3 fills up and 1 is even worse.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, VCA-DCV
    You risk someone coming in and scheduling 3pm-? after you though. By grabbing a full 4 hour block, unless someone cuts in during the short time between free-ing up the remainder after completing a lab and re-claiming the time by registering another, you get it all.

This wouldn't be an issue if they had more pods available, but right now there's only 1, for 53 people. If there were 5 like kyl said they saw then I probably wouldn't care as much, but 3 fills up and 1 is even worse.
    I agree, with the current lab resource situation in flux, I understand what you are saying.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. The whole Shebang! hiddenknight821's Avatar

Certifications
    We were told not to use/reserve any labs until they notify us. Please stay clear until they get it fixed. We all want to complete our work but we need to let them do theirs first.
    Yes, but the thing is they told us not to reserve over the weekend. I thought by today it's suppose to be back online. Beside, the instructor didn't even bother telling us exactly which assignment due dates are postponed, so they had us stressing over it instead. It would be nice if they told us that the assignments are not due until a week after the pods are back online. That's the kind of assurance we'd like to have.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Member

Certifications
    Do not worry. Everything got delayed at least one week, and he will not punish you for not doing the labs when they are down. We should be getting an email soon.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    A Few
    The Lab Requests have been a little crazy. Havnt had a windows of time to work with. Hopefully after everything gets fixed, it wont be get crazy with reservations
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Member

Certifications
    RHCSA, LPIC-1, VCA-DCV, MCSA (2k3), SAP B1
    Yep, there were definitely 5 when I logged in last week around Thursday night or so to do lab 1, and I really think there were around 14 when I logged into the lab on the fist day.

Since they sent that email out about not reserving anything, I figured I'd wait until they sent an email things were back up before even trying lab 2 or lab 3. If I receive any grief from anyone about it, I'd pretty much forward the email we all got to the instructor of my section, but I just don't think it'll be an issue to wait this week.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCP5-DCV
    You're suppose to wait till the instructor sends you an email that it is ok. otherwise, by reserving now, you might make the whole reservation process inconsistent for the entire course. in other words, you might have times where it is available and convenient and other times u might not be able to get anything. just let them finish fixing it, so that it will be a process where you will always have it available at all hours. At least that is what i was told yesterday.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by zcarenow View Post
    You're suppose to wait till the instructor sends you an email that it is ok. otherwise, by reserving now, you might make the whole reservation process inconsistent for the entire course. in other words, you might have times where it is available and convenient and other times u might not be able to get anything. just let them finish fixing it, so that it will be a process where you will always have it available at all hours. At least that is what i was told yesterday.
    That's why I asked earlier to please stay out until they fix it. We all want to login and do our labs, but not following their advice to stay out we might delay it even longer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 First 123 4567 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks