+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    A+, Sec+, Project+, 70-680, 70-686, 70-640, 70-642, 70-646, MCSA: Win 7, MCSA: Win 2K8, MCITP:ED, MCITP:EA, CCNA R&S, Useless CIW x2

Default VCA-DCV - Worth the cost of the exam voucher?

I signed up for one of the VCP online classes posted here. It begins in March. I was wondering if taking the VCA-DCV exam is worth it, as far as employers are concerned? Seems pretty easy - open book, online exam. Some of the videos were also very basic.

How have you guys' experience been with this exam?
    Last edited by -hype; 01-18-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Not worth the money. This may be a bit harsh, but very few people know about this and no one cares. Do the VCP instead.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    No, its not worth it because its an open book exam and doesn't hold any weight. Keep your focus on the VCP course and exam. Put that money you would be using on the VCA towards getting a subscription for VCP videos, especially if you have limited experience with vSphere/ESXi.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, VCP, CEH, SSCP, Extron A/V Associate, Security+, Network+, ITIL-F, CWTS
    Not much more than that you could take a VCP applicable class at one of the smaller colleges that might include the VCP voucher.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    if you were fresh into IT, like being a technical-facing salesmen of VMware I could say yes....

....however giving your current certification track you would do yourself a disservice to get it, it would be way more beneficial given your knowledge and experience to study for the VCP5-DCV.

......Honestly you'd learn more building a lab with all the bells and whistles required to make a legit ESXi cluster (roughly 1200 for a decent one, cost me $1800 for mine) and probably more fun going for the VCP5-DCV, you can study for the VCA-DCV honestly in like 3 hours though if you really want it...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. 1337sauce

Certifications
    BS, Linux+, Security+, LPIC-1, MCSE Server 2012, MCSE Desktop, MCSA Server 2008, MCTS 70-[415,681], MCTS 74-409, VCA-DCV, Novell CLA/DCTS/CNS, HDI CSR
    I only did it because it was free (at the time).

But I've said it before and I'll say it again...for those who don't know otherwise (aka HR), the VMware certs become an alphabet soup and the VCA-DCV can give the impression of a VMware background, now to what degree is up to the person reading the resume. BUT, if you have VMware experience but not the VCP, it can be beneficial IMO (if it was still free).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Sec+, Project+, 70-680, 70-686, 70-640, 70-642, 70-646, MCSA: Win 7, MCSA: Win 2K8, MCITP:ED, MCITP:EA, CCNA R&S, Useless CIW x2
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it.

On to the VCP it is, will knock out some CBT videos and save up for the lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks