+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Thread: Stanly May-July

1. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+, VCP5-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by richyg View Post
    I'm finding the videos less than helpful, the content seems jumbled and the person presenting them seems confused himself. Luckily I watched CBT Nuggets before enrolling on this course and the video presentation is of much a higher standard. Not sure how anyone is going to learn anything from the videos.

Module 4 vCenter Server is the most confusing set of videos I think that I have ever watched.
    I feel the same way. The presenter may know everything there is but is really having a hard time explaining the material in the videos. I found myself leaning on the book more.

Right now I am reading the book and mastering 5.5. Cbt nuggets is next.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member
    Anyone else having issues with the Labs?

It now is saying my password is wrong
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member
    And like magic its fixed
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    VCA-DCV
    I've had some troubles loggin-in too, everything seems to work with IE11.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+, VCP5-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick9 View Post
    I've had some troubles loggin-in too, everything seems to work with IE11.
    Same here. IE seems to be best
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    VCP550
    I know the course is almost over, but If anybody still need the books - I listed them on ebay. It's unused. Search for VAP-EN-VSICM55-KIT
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, N+, Security+. VMware VCA-DCV
    I have a ton of labs to do and they are not loading
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member
    This was an issue i think most of the class was/is having. I know the Instructor sent out an email stating that and providing some guidance. I am check this evening hopefully I can log in and get some work done myself.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    CEH, VCP-DCV, CHFI, MCP, MCTS, LINUX+, LPIC-1, SUSE CLA, Network+, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM, B.A. Mathematics [] Expired: Sec+ CE, Net+ CE, DCSE
    I notice the Labs take 5-15 minutes to load sometimes.

How is everyone doing in the May-July class?

Here are my thoughts of the class so far: Previous knowledge: Having previous VCA-DCV, VMware Workstation and vSphere experience has made this class seem pretty easy. I found some of the things taught are exactly taught (at high level) in the free VMware VCA-DCV course.
    Videos 7/10 Maybe its my adhd but I find it very hard to listen to the Texan sounding guy give lectures. I have to dope up on lots of coffee.
    ICM Labs: 8.5/10 I find these to be pretty good. They do not explain everything, but I'm starting to figure out why things are done. Its a good idea to type or write notes for each lab.
    Quizzes: 9/10 Lab quizzes suck, they only ask if you completed watching the respective video. Module quizzes are great though. They seem to focus on very important concepts and answer choices for solutions. I think they will be very valuable for the actual exam.
    Cost: 10/10 VMware vSphere 5.5 | VCP 5.5 DCV Training for $185....very hard to beat.

Are there other people in the class that plan to take the exam soon? I"m thinking of taking it next week.

Forgive the fast typing...I gotta get back to the lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    Sounds good I enrolled on the waiting list.....I hope to hear from them soon. but Stanley seems like a great course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member

Certifications
    VCA-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaterNinja View Post
    I notice the Labs take 5-15 minutes to load sometimes.

How is everyone doing in the May-July class?

Here are my thoughts of the class so far: Previous knowledge: Having previous VCA-DCV, VMware Workstation and vSphere experience has made this class seem pretty easy. I found some of the things taught are exactly taught (at high level) in the free VMware VCA-DCV course.
    Videos 7/10 Maybe its my adhd but I find it very hard to listen to the Texan sounding guy give lectures. I have to dope up on lots of coffee.
    ICM Labs: 8.5/10 I find these to be pretty good. They do not explain everything, but I'm starting to figure out why things are done. Its a good idea to type or write notes for each lab.
    Quizzes: 9/10 Lab quizzes suck, they only ask if you completed watching the respective video. Module quizzes are great though. They seem to focus on very important concepts and answer choices for solutions. I think they will be very valuable for the actual exam.
    Cost: 10/10 VMware vSphere 5.5 | VCP 5.5 DCV Training for $185....very hard to beat.

Are there other people in the class that plan to take the exam soon? I"m thinking of taking it next week.

Forgive the fast typing...I gotta get back to the lab.
    I agree with you on most parts. I have a VCA-DCV as well and some vSphere experience.
    I'm studying with Lowe's book.
    Can you take the exam that soon?
    I'm thinking about taking the exam before fall, provided I get registred on VMware's site.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    CEH, VCP-DCV, CHFI, MCP, MCTS, LINUX+, LPIC-1, SUSE CLA, Network+, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM, B.A. Mathematics [] Expired: Sec+ CE, Net+ CE, DCSE
    Ok i'm finished with the vSphere 5.5 ICM class @ Stanly. For $185 it was not that bad. It was a very easy class. Just watch videos, do labs with pdf file instructions, take notes on quiz questions. Overall difficulty level was maybe a 5 on a scale of 10. Medium or even easy :P.

My only gripe with it is that the videos / flash was not interactive and as engaging as the free VMware VCA class...often I could only watch a few videos at a time before falling asleep.

Going forward I'm going to read the Scott Lowe / Marshall Book for vSphere 5.5 & watch CBT nuggets videos.

As far as the VCP exam I got one voucher already from wgudreamspark @ 70% discount. I plan to get another after my evaluation for stanlycc is over. So I get two tries for ~$135 if I need another one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: DI, CCNA R&S, MCITP SA,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2012, MCTS MS Vritualization, MCTSx7,BS CS
    So guys the classes are not enough in order to pass the exam and master the vsphere 5.5. do you recommend cbt nuggets videos also, and which book is the best?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    I am a little concerned.

Has anyone received their Class completion grade or webstore voucher email for stanly cc (May - July students only)?

I clicked on the class to see if it says passed and it now says I've been moved to inactive.

I did ALL 22 labs + quizzes. Hopefully this is a fluke due to the course ending July 15th.
    Last edited by GreaterNinja; 07-16-2015 at 11:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    If you did not receive the email that went out this week regarding voucher instructions, please contact your instructor ASAP. Students who receive a Satisfactory grade will receive a course completion once grades have actually been entered into the system. This can take 2-3 weeks after the course end date. Let us know if you have any other concerns. You are always welcome to send me a private message here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaterNinja View Post
    I am a little concerned.

Has anyone received their Class completion grade or webstore voucher email for stanly cc (May - July students only)?

I clicked on the class to see if it says passed and it now says I've been moved to inactive.

I did ALL 22 labs + quizzes. Hopefully this is a fluke due to the course ending July 15th.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member

Certifications
    VCA-DCV
    I received an email from my instructor today with the procedure to obtain the voucher.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidz View Post
    So guys the classes are not enough in order to pass the exam and master the vsphere 5.5. do you recommend cbt nuggets videos also, and which book is the best?
    'Mastering vSphere 5.5' is a great book IMO; don't know about the CBT videos, but I guess they're good as CBT usually does quality stuff. Also, some videos by PluralSight are worth watching.
    BTW the class was very good, I guess it's probably 65-70% of the knowledge needed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Hmm well I did not receive an email today. I sent an email to the instructor ...hopefully its just a 48 hour issue?
    When you click on your class, does it say you have been moved to inactive or do you actually have a grade for it now?

I have a congratulations email from July 13th saying I have completed the class.

I also have an email from July 14th: VMWare Voucher and Course Credit w/ instructions.

However, when I go to my stanly.edu student gmail account there is no email to access the Kivuto / VM store as stated in the instructions file attachment from the email on July 14th. Basically, the July 14th email says there should be another email with access instructions to order the voucher. I do not have this email. Its not in spam, junk or anything...its not there.

Meh, I'll give it a few days and try to be patient. I've had like 12 cups of coffee today.

Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member
    I only received one email about that I passed. When I click on my class, it does say: error/INACTIVE. Your enrollment in this class has been moved to an INACTIVE status by your instructor.

Where will we see the grades? I still haven't got an email about the voucher. Still waiting for it?!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member
    In order to obtain a certificate from vmware, you need to pass exam and an authorized training (stanly edu). How does vmware know if we register at it, that we obtained a valid authorized training and make it a checkmark in our vmware profile?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    Ok, so i'm probably not the only one then. I won't worry much now.
    As far as the stanly class I believe it will be reported on an account for https://mylearn.vmware.com/ I could be wrong, but all of my previous course completions have been reported there.

For my free WGU 70% voucher I had to request exam authorization for VCP-DCV550PSE ...this exam may have a very similar or exact name scheme.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member
    No you are not the only one. Yes the exam code is VCP550PSE.
    For people that are asking why the code is a bit different. Difference between VCP550 and VCP550PSE: VCP550PSE is only for Students, Faculty, Staff, Faculty/Staff, all others need to purchase the VCP550 exam.

Well I guess when we sign up at vmware, we get an username and password from stanly in our email? And if we login, it's already filled in that we passed it. I am correct right?

It's true that if we don't have a certified training(for ex. stanly) then we can achieve the exam by taking, but we don't achieve a certificate. Or is that rule changed by VMware?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    I said **** it and scheduled VCP550PSE for this Thursday 7/23 @ 12:30 PST.
    Paid for it with the wgu dreamspark voucher $67.50 was the out the door cost. I'm a bit nervous, but pass or fail I will learn something. If I do fail I intend to use the stanly voucher as plan B.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:DC, CCNP:DC, CCNA:DC, CCDA, VCP:DCV, VCP:NV, JNCIA-JUNOS
    You can use the Stanly discount voucher for another VCP when you get it, if you'd like. I'd already taken my VCP-DCV by the time I got my voucher, so I used it for my VCP-NV a few months later
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Junior Member
    I got the email!!

Can please someone verify:
    Is it true that if we don't have a certified training(for ex. stanly) then we can achieve the exam by taking(I do get authorization) but we don't achieve a certificate. Or is that rule changed by VMware?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member
    Since the course finished I've not received any emails.

When I click on the course it's saying error/INACTIVE instructor deems you are not meeting course requirements. I completed all course materials at the required due dates.

I've emailed instructor but not received any response. Starting to get concerned but who do you contact to find out what's going on? I can't seem to send Stanly_CC a private message through the forum.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks