+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 First 12 345 Last
  1. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbajabba View Post
    Saw a VMWare employee got his DCV result already so I got in touch with education and response :"Results are gradually rolled out with the majority being scored by August 31".

Don't remember the exact wording, but something asking those lines. Bottom line: End of August.
    Yeah, I'm just going to call BS on their claim (not yours, of course). When you are developing an exam the purpose of the beta exam is to determine the psychometric validity of each question and then set the cutscore and scaling/conversion, if any. They have to take multiple scoring passes. The first pass is just to determine the raw data as to which questions were answered correctly or incorrectly. Then they have to do an in-depth analysis on each question to see if it correlated to overall exam performance. For example, a question that everyone got right or everyone got wrong might not be a good question from a psychometric standpoint, as the point of the exam is to separate the people who know their stuff from the ones who don't. So each question will be tagged with a score that shows how highly it correlated with overall exam performance, and then the questions that are the furthest outlier from that will be deemed invalid. Then after that they'll have to run some other math to set the cutscore for pass/fail and the conversion, at which point all of the exams would be re-scored using only the valid questions. If they are doing this with any sort of automated process then once they have determined the valid questions and set the cutscore it should take them no more than a day (and really no more than a few hours at most) to re-score all exams into pass/fail. If they are not using an automated process then you might as well throw the results out the window, because otherwise it's prone to human error.

I just don't see how it's possible that they could be gradually scoring these exams unless they've royally screwed it up somehow. The exam goes live 6 days from now. At this rate I could sit the exam on the 30th and get results faster. It's shameful and they ought to be embarrassed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCSE VCP2 VCP3 VCP4 VCP5 VCAP4-DCA VCI
    I don't think beta takers will have their results til the final exam goes live.

The reason to take a beta exam is that it's cheap, not because you want an early result.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member
    I'm going to say that there are many reasons to take a beta exam. For some people it's about saving money on the exam cost. For many people our employers pay for exams anyway so there is no cost. For some people this exam was their best shot at upgrading their VCP from 5 to 6 before their certification expired. In fact, I have a coworker who has twice received emails from VMware Learning telling him that his VCP status has been extended because he took the test before his VCP expired and they haven't scored his exam yet. Other people may take beta exams because they want an early look at the exam material and feel like it gives them a better idea of what to study for in the future in case they don't pass. Still others take pride in being one of the first people in the world to have earned a new certification. There are many reasons to take a beta exam, and cost rarely seems to be much of a factor.

I don't have any problem with them withholding the results until the final exam goes live (5 days from now). However, if that is their intention then they need to set that expectation for their customers up front. When registering for the beta we were told that the results would be available 6-8 weeks after the beta period ended. By my math it's already been 12 weeks since the beta period ended and we still do not have our results. Adding insult to injury, when I opened a case with VMware Learning via email to inquire about the test results, this is the response that I received (name and case number redacted):

As I understand, you need the Beta Exam results.

I would like to inform you that, Beta Exam results review have been ended, the results would out by some time.

Apologize for the delay.

Hope this resolves the query.
    I mean come on, they're not even trying to be responsive here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    First of all I am amazed how many people wait until the last second to renew, but I suppose there must be an individual reason.

One thing I don't appreciate is the hypocrisy about the results. VMware staff keep telling us how the results aren't available until the exam goes live, including you Scott, yet it has shown multiple times that staff taken the exam received their results weeks ago, which a PSO consultant has shown me as he was confused that I don't know the result yet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if VMware staff get their results immediately, they are staff, I get it. I don't get though when I am being told one thing and it doesn't reflect another. Again, I am not really bothered about the result myself, I just don't like the communication about it.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    First of all I am amazed how many people wait until the last second to renew, but I suppose there must be an individual reason.
    I think that people like to extend their certification for as long as is practical to minimize the effort of keeping it. The certs have a two year expiration, and the clock resets each time you renew. If you renew your VCP after having it for only one year the clock starts ticking again. Then perhaps you renew it again after another year. Now you've taken three exams in two years to get 4 years of certification validity. On the other hand, if you earn the certification and then wait 18-20 months before renewing then you end up taking fewer exams and have time to focus on other things (other certification programs, an advanced degree, etc.).

Now if you're a trainer then I would understand why you would always want to take the newest exams as soon as they are available, because presumably you can only teach the courses if you are certified. But that's not the case for the majority of candidates.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    As I mentioned - getting results early and therefore being one of the first to earn the certification - that's clearly not a reason to take a beta as has been demonstrated.

I renewed my VCP5-DCV with the VCP550D exam, so I can now update to VCP6-DCV whenever I'm ready, in the next 18 months in my particular case.

They actually said 8-10 weeks, but I agree it's been longer than that.

Although I am a VMware employee, I have no more of an idea than non-employees as to when the beta results would appear - it was my hunch that it wouldn't be til the final exam is released, based on what's happened in the past.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I didn't base my comments on a hunch but on a transcript I have seen on a PSO Bootcamp
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott28tt View Post
    As I mentioned - getting results early and therefore being one of the first to earn the certification - that's clearly not a reason to take a beta as has been demonstrated.
    Perhaps not to you, but there are plenty of people for whom this is a matter of pride. Getting the certification before the exam goes public is less the point than it is to be in the first group to earn the certification. Now for VMware, it's beginning to look like you will not find out if you pass until after the exam is released (unless they plan on updating all of our records on a Sunday). However, I have been involved in certification for almost 20 years, both as a test taker and writing items for exams for several vendors. This is the first time that I have ever seen results for a beta exam being postponed until at least the GA of the exam. Had I known how badly VMware was going to milk this process then I would have saved myself the frustration and scheduled the exam for next week.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by goibhniu View Post
    Perhaps not to you, but there are plenty of people for whom this is a matter of pride. Getting the certification before the exam goes public is less the point than it is to be in the first group to earn the certification. Now for VMware, it's beginning to look like you will not find out if you pass until after the exam is released (unless they plan on updating all of our records on a Sunday). However, I have been involved in certification for almost 20 years, both as a test taker and writing items for exams for several vendors. This is the first time that I have ever seen results for a beta exam being postponed until at least the GA of the exam. Had I known how badly VMware was going to milk this process then I would have saved myself the frustration and scheduled the exam for next week.
    I have sat several beta exams myself and one thing I always thought is crucial: Feedback

I was quite surprised that VMware didn't allow any feedback during the beta exam. In the Microsoft world you had a different status when passing an exam very early on (forgot the name and the MCP site is down atm).

Edit: "Charter" was the name I was looking for
    Charter- Certification that was achieved within six months following the retail release date of the certification. Charter Members are recognized by being given the Charter version of the certificate acknowledging their early adoption of the technology solution.
    As for cost, I am lucky enough to work in a company which pays for them. So it doesn't really make much difference whether I take the Beta or GA. Beta exams were always for me great because I knew I can

a. comment on questions and MAY make a difference
    b. get the exam results early

This has obviously changed with now so I don't think I will bother with future beta exams, given that there is slightly more stress involved.
    Last edited by jibbajabba; 08-26-2015 at 02:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I am pretty sure that beta results at the same time as GA has happened in the past with VMware, and the comment of mine that you quoted wasn't it not mattering to me - it was based on what's happened in this instance - that's all.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I didn't base my comments on a hunch but on a transcript I have seen on a PSO Bootcamp
    Whereas I've seen some internal discussion where employees are also asking when they'll get their results, and no comments yet from anyone who does have them already...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    For the record - I agree with you guys - people should have the chance to give feedback during a beta exam, and they should get their results before those who take the final exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by scott28tt View Post
    Whereas I've seen some internal discussion where employees are also asking when they'll get their results, and no comments yet from anyone who does have them already...
    Really really weird ... Thank you for your input Scott .. well either way, as I say - given the circumstances I think I will skip future beta exams, just don't see the value anymore ..

I am now more interested as to when the VCIX-Cloud exams are being released .. Hoped I can take it at VMWorld in Barcelona ..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member
    I have sat several beta exams myself and one thing I always thought is crucial: Feedback

I was quite surprised that VMware didn't allow any feedback during the beta exam.
    Yes, I had forgotten about that. I was also surprised when I took the beta that there was no way to provide feedback or challenge the exam questions during the process. Other vendors usually do provide this capability.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Other vendors usually do provide this capability.
    Unless my brain went all fuzzy - VMware did, too - AND you had your results prior GA

As I say - unless you pay for your own exams, there is no real benefit (anymore) in taking beta exams ... Unless you are SME in that version already and you just want to get it over with
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    * logs into vue.com *

They really let us wait till the last second ey.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member
    Will probably be at 11:59 PM on Aug 31
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member

Certifications
    MCS:Hyper-V , MCSA Security, A+, Net+, Sec+, VCP5/6
    I expect they wont announce results until vmworld ends..

They've done this before.

https://communities.vmware.com/message/1372051#1372051

read that. They announced VCP4 scores after vmworld. Some people claim they took the exam in July and they were still waiting on results in October...

This is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by J.Tot; 08-30-2015 at 02:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Still 'Taken'
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    From vmware forums
    Message from Certification "Support":

Please be informed that we have not yet received announcement date for
    VCP6 result. Beta exam score reports are still being processed and
    analyzed.

Unfortunately we do not have the estimated time.

I apologize for the in-convenience and would request you to wait for some
    few weeks more.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE,MCITP x2,vExpert 15/16,VCAP,VCPx3,MCSA x2,MCTS x3,MCP x2,UCP,Network+,A+
    The certification director, Paul Sorenson, just said it won't be until 9/28/15. Wow... just wow.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    @the_erikee - link to that? Was this at VMworld?
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE,MCITP x2,vExpert 15/16,VCAP,VCPx3,MCSA x2,MCTS x3,MCP x2,UCP,Network+,A+
    It was at VMworld. In person.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member
    9/28?

<Head Explodes>
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member
    Am I late to the discussion?

goibhniu has a decent write up of the process up above. Historically the beta results are released after the live exam since they need to be rescored against the final list of questions - as I recall the DCD510 betas were a couple months after the live exam. DTA results might have been at the same time as the go-live. DCA510 was at least 4 weeks after go-live.

The math and rescores are done by a third party so even if its completely straight forward there is some time lag required.

Sorry for the perceived delay and miscommunication!

Also, I'm not in charge of the project but there is no way anyone got a result before the go-live which was... yesterday? (I think) and that would be the normal after-exam results.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 First 12 345 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks