+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Thread: Vcap5-dca

1. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is my plan so far:

1. Go through each task and take notes
    2. Complete the tasks which I have the most confidence in and appear to be independent from others
    3. Complete the tasks that appear to have some order in which they must attempted
    4. Complete the rest of the tasks that I am unsure about being careful not to break anything
    5. ?
    6. PROFIT

If I come even close to using the full 3 hours it will probably be a failure. I have never run out of time while taking any type of exam.
    I like #6 the best

Sounds like a great plan. Rooting for ya
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. DPG
    Quote Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
    The objective is to pass the exam, not answer every question.
    I sure didn't feel that way after passing my first IT certification exam (Check Point CCSA). I scored a 74 with 70 being the passing score. I was bummed out when I told my manager who coincidentally had been involved with writing the exam. He proceeded to explain that the exam purposely had some crazy questions to try and weed out the dumpers. He also stressed that in Check Point's eyes I had met their requirements and that my score did not matter be it a 70 or 100.

Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practitioner, VCP-DCV 5/6, Storage+, CCNA R+S/Sec/CyberOps, Sec+, CEH, CASP
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathmage View Post
    You can be a CCIE from a brain dump and still have a CCNA know more, so it's all relative.
    I don't think many people would have a chance passing from a brain dump without knowing anything or with a gap that big. Most of the tests these days are using pools of 100s of questions, so it is an enormous amount to memorise. The CCIE lab would be a completely other thing all together.

More generally, I think VMware have got a good balance for keeping the dumpers out - requiring a course before giving you a VCP (NV track notwithstanding) and then the heavily practical exams for VCAP/VCIX, and the process for VCDX is something else entirely - it would be hilarious seeing someone try to bluff their way through that.

I'm a little disappointed that they are retiring the VCAP5. I bought a book and have a lab ready to roll to study, but haven't been able to squeeze in the time for study in between other things. It seems unlikely to make it before June - unless I could cover all the objective in one weekend. I am assuming that HOL is still the go to for learning, and labbing for 'perfecting'.

Looking at the VCAP6 track, it's a little confusing where to start from VCP5. It seems like I will need to get VCP6 before attempting VCAP6 - which is probably fair enough. I was thinking of doing the NV track after I complete CCNP...

Any ideas from anyone on the difference with the VCAP6 track? Is it just updated material, or have the objectives changed substantially. Or put another way, if I studied from the VCAP5 materials but just learnt how to do the same things on 6, would that be enough?
    Last edited by OctalDump; 04-01-2016 at 02:53 AM.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. DPG
    Quote Originally Posted by OctalDump View Post
    Any ideas from anyone on the difference with the VCAP6 track? Is it just updated material, or have the objectives changed substantially. Or put another way, if I studied from the VCAP5 materials but just learnt how to do the same things on 6, would that be enough?
    Auto deploy is back again.
    Added data protection, VSAN, SSO, PSC and content libraries.

Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    I agree, it's one of my hardest choices lately, VCIX or VCAP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. DPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathmage View Post
    I agree, it's one of my hardest choices lately, VCIX or VCAP.
    You can't get the VCIX in DCV without the VCAP's.

Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    You can't get the VCIX in DCV without the VCAP's.
    Indeed, my understanding was VCIX replaces VCAP in 6.0, so I need to have either a VCAP5 or a VCP6 in order for me to take the VCIX, is that more accurate?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. DPG
    VCAP5-DCA + VCAP6-DCV Design = VCIX6-DCV

VCAP5-DCD + VCAP6-DCV Deploy = VCIX6-DCV

VCAP6-DCV Design + VCAP6-DCV Deploy = VCIX6-DCV

Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    VCAP5-DCA + VCAP6-DCV Design = VCIX6-DCV

VCAP5-DCD + VCAP6-DCV Deploy = VCIX6-DCV

VCAP6-DCV Design + VCAP6-DCV Deploy = VCIX6-DCV
    Indeed, I've always known it's two exams. Though you meant something else.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. DPG
    Are you going to try and squeeze in the VCAP5-DCA before it is retired?

Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Are you going to try and squeeze in the VCAP5-DCA before it is retired?
    I'm tossed actually. I wanted to go for it but then I've been studying for the VCP6, but with things going on with my personal life I'm finding I don't have the focused time to spend whole weekend studying. So I'm taking the VCP6 since my employer is now at the 5.5/6.0 cliff.

It seems more and more companies are right on that cliff off EOL for 5.5 and pushing into 6.0, but so many employers right now still have VMware guys with VCP4 and 5 from like 2013 with 5.1. They all want VCP6.

So I took the VCP6 route, but what more troubling is this mystical release date of VCIX, so I'm perplexed now.

I'm actually probably ready for the VCP6 too, I just keep watching Pluralsight videos and just constantly rescheduling the exam. I find a video and I'm like "am I sure I know this really well" and then I postpone the the exam. But this new employer will pay for the exam so that's pretty neat.
    Last edited by Deathmage; 04-04-2016 at 01:26 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. DPG
    How was the Optimize and Scale class? I might attend later this year.

Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

I literally felt like it was a waste of time, to be honest. I learned more just from common sense stuff and tinkering with vCenter deployment and configuration. it's really meant for people that just don't get to deploy VMware from the ground up. I've done that twice in production and countless times in lab, so it really not much I didn't know already, it's just for a much larger scale of thinking. But I guess for some it came be useful.

Glad I didn't shell out the cost of it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. DPG
    Hopefully your employer didn't pay much if it was a useless class(perhaps they had some learning credits?). Was it delivered on-site or did they send you to a training center?

Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    It bored me to tears. Not worth it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 10/27/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-410 (one exam left for MCSA 2012)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), MCSA 2016 upgrade, more Linux
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, AWS Solution Architect (Associate), Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    Hopefully your employer didn't pay much if it was a useless class(perhaps they had some learning credits?). Was it delivered on-site or did they send you to a training center?
    it was a on-demand class, they had training credits for the year.

Some people learned stuff, I learned nothing much.

If your going to the VCAP, you won't be impressed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, ITIL, MCSE, MCSA 03/12,MCITP:EA, EST, EDA7, EA, CCENT
    Save the money and buy a month of pluralsight/see if the company will spring for it. The Optimize and Scale class there is great. It's designed to the DCA blueprint. It's designed for 5.0 but there are is only one new domain (replication).

He pushes command line and VMA. Heed his wisdom with that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    vExpert | CCA | CCAA | MCSA | MCTS | MCITP:EMA 2010 | VCP5-DCV/DT | VTSP4/5 | VSP 5 | Network +
    I don't think that any of the VMware courses are geared solely towards passing Certifications, even the ICM course is not enough to pass the VCP exam alone.

Aside from doing the ICM course for VCP, I've done the VMware View Design course and even then, a lot of information was missing or perhaps simply not intended for the course.

I think the purpose of the training is to give you the base you need to expand on, but it's not enough for passing certifications.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. DPG
    Quote Originally Posted by tbgree00 View Post
    Save the money and buy a month of pluralsight/see if the company will spring for it. The Optimize and Scale class there is great. It's designed to the DCA blueprint. It's designed for 5.0 but there are is only one new domain (replication).

He pushes command line and VMA. Heed his wisdom with that.
    I have a Pluralsight subscription and agree that Jason Nash's course is excellent.

Reply With Quote Quote  

You could sign up as a Visual Studio developer (it is free) which gives 6 months access to Pluralsight training courses (plus a load of other stuff like free Azure credit).
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/p...ntials-vs.aspx

As far as I can see there are no obligations for doing this.
    thanks
    Iain
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. DPG
    I have been humbled but somehow I passed.
    Last edited by DPG; 04-07-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Glad you did. What almost tripped ya?
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. DPG
    I started writing numbers down (1-23) when I first sat down and was at the section with instructions and terms which had a 15 minute timer. The test administrator stormed out of her office and proceeded to tell me that I couldn't do that! She said I had to be on the first question before I could write anything down.

I spent about 15 minutes on the first question and then realized I had to hurry things up if I wanted to attempt all 23 of them. About an hour and a half was gone after my first run through and I had only completed 8 questions . I skipped around some more for another hour and knocked out 5 more. With 30 minutes to go I was almost sure I would fail. I then picked out 3 more questions and manged to complete them with 5 minutes to go. I closed everything out and ended the exam before the timer expired.

The exam was very fair and I only had one question that didn't make any sense ( some typo's maybe?). I didn't touch 5 questions at all. I believe what saved me was the fact that the questions that I did complete had more tasks than some of those that weren't completed. Overall I enjoyed the experience and definitely have to give props to those at VMware who developed this exam.
    Last edited by DPG; 04-07-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, ITIL, MCSE, MCSA 03/12,MCITP:EA, EST, EDA7, EA, CCENT
    Congratulations! That is a fun test, I'm glad you passed it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    I started writing numbers down (1-23) when I first sat down and was at the section with instructions and terms which had a 15 minute timer. The test administrator stormed out of her office and proceeded to tell me that I couldn't do that! She said I had to be on the first question before I could write anything down.

I spent about 15 minutes on the first question and then realized I had to hurry things up if I wanted to attempt all 23 of them. About an hour and a half was gone after my first run through and I had only completed 8 questions . I skipped around some more for another hour and knocked out 5 more. With 30 minutes to go I was almost sure I would fail. I then picked out 3 more questions and manged to complete them with 5 minutes to go. I closed everything out and ended the exam before the timer expired.

The exam was very fair and I only had one question that didn't make any sense ( some typo's maybe?). I didn't touch 5 questions at all. I believe what saved me was the fact that the questions that I did complete had more tasks than some of those that weren't completed. Overall I enjoyed the experience and definitely have to give props to those at VMware who developed this exam.
    Congratulations on the pass.

From my recollection I had a similar experience. I skipped around and wound up not even starting on at least 5 of the items, but did well enough on the rest to pass.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 10/27/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-410 (one exam left for MCSA 2012)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), MCSA 2016 upgrade, more Linux
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, AWS Solution Architect (Associate), Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks