3. Reticulating splines... iBrokeIT's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, GSEC, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5-DCV, MCITP:EA, MCSA 2003/08
    IMO, no. Get the VCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, A+/N+/S+/P+/L+
    The free course on VMware's site was literally just like "This is what a hypervisor does. This is what vMotion is. This is what [insert feature] is." Wouldn't consider it certification worthy, you can Google most of that in a few minutes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, ITIL, MCSE, MCSA 03/12,MCITP:EA, EST, EDA7, EA, CCENT
    The problem is they charge 120 for an open book test. If you go for the VCP there's a different vSphere foundations test that is also 120. I would look into that one unless your job depends on the VCA. We actually have a role that has the VCA as a cert requirement.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:DC, CCNP:DC, CCNA:DC, CCDA, VCP:DCV, VCP:NV, JNCIA-JUNOS
    You really have a job asking for VCA? Maybe I should put mine back on my resume.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GCFE, GCED, GCIH, CISSP, CCSP, and others that should never be mentioned
    I always have a hard time seeing the value for the VCA. Unless you need it for tbgree00's open position, I just don't see it.

Having said that, IBM want's a guy with VCA, VCP, VCAP, VCIX, and/or VCDX certification: https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/tgwe...59&SiteId=5016. I would love to talk to whoever wrote this posting.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    Well if you're a CCIE wanting a Virtualization Engineer II job then go ahead

Edit: Those positions were filled, just speaking that we had it as a cert requirement.

My team's posted cert requirements were level 2 - VCA, Level 3 - VCP or VCAP5-DCA, Level 4 VCAP5-DCD.

So I guess at least one employer in the history of IT has actively looked for a VCA.
    Last edited by tbgree00; 03-10-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member

Certifications
    BS: IT - Security (WGU), CCNA R&S, CCNA: S, VCA-DCV, L+, S+, N+, A+, P+, Healthcare IT Technician, MCP, CPHIMS, CPHIT, HCISPP, CISM
    I only have it because they were offering it for free for a while.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member

Certifications
    BS: IT - Security (WGU), CCNA R&S, CCNA: S, VCA-DCV, L+, S+, N+, A+, P+, Healthcare IT Technician, MCP, CPHIMS, CPHIT, HCISPP, CISM
    Quote Originally Posted by iBrokeIT View Post
    IMO, no. Get the VCP
    The problem I had with VCP is VMWare requiring one of their certified courses/bootcamps to pass. Is that still a requirement?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:DC, CCNP:DC, CCNA:DC, CCDA, VCP:DCV, VCP:NV, JNCIA-JUNOS
    tbgree, maybe as a side gig to pad the checkbook, but not as a main job, no.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Reticulating splines... iBrokeIT's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, GSEC, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5-DCV, MCITP:EA, MCSA 2003/08
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorth77 View Post
    The problem I had with VCP is VMWare requiring one of their certified courses/bootcamps to pass. Is that still a requirement?
    Yes, an approved class is still a requirement which is part of the reason why the VCP is valued so much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by tbgree00 View Post
    Well if you're a CCIE wanting a Virtualization Engineer II job then go ahead

Edit: Those positions were filled, just speaking that we had it as a cert requirement.

My team's posted cert requirements were level 2 - VCA, Level 3 - VCP or VCAP5-DCA, Level 4 VCAP5-DCD.

So I guess at least one employer in the history of IT has actively looked for a VCA.
    I get Level 2 / 3 ... Although could argue that Level 1 / Helpdesk is good for VCA - But Level 4 for DCD ? Don't see how a design certification can help in a support environment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    The job levels map really weird here. Level four is our VMware Architect. He creates/approves all the designs and the direction of our VMware environment. He plans out the upgrades, new product POCs, etc. They're using that to justify the DCD and I don't exactly disagree. It's also a way to quantify the person *should* know VMware at that VCAP level.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks