+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by astorrs
    That's too bad. The second revision ("VI3 Fast Track 3.5 Revision B") course materials are so much easier to work with. I wonder if only the official courses are using it.

For anyone considering taking the course in the future with HP or IBM, you should ask which materials you will be using.
    Yeah. Having it all combined would have been nice. The jumping between books used up quite a bit of time and was a bit confusing in places. No idea if I was just right before they rolled out rev B or whether it was only for VMware run courses at the time.

It wasn't with HP or IBM. It was run by a third party training company but still listed on the VMware website. All the non VMware courses have Contact Partner next to them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    All the VMware run courses were supposed to switch over as of the April 28th course I took - it was the first "new" course, and the instructors loved it (one of them had been heavily involved in its development) - but of course there were still a few problems .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    70-270, 70-290
    With no conceivable option to ever attend a VM course (damn global credit crunch). I am still tempted to take the exams... Not to ever deceptively suggest VCP status but just to demonstrate some level of VM competence in addition to hands on experience.

Qualifications:
    Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
    VMware VCP-310 Exam
    Higher National Diploma IT
    100M Swimming Badge
    Boy Scouts Fire Lighting and Camping Badge

What do you think?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Fire Lighting and Camping clearly overshadows everything else

I guess I don't see the value in it. You're not allowed to say that you're VCP unless you take the course, and people aren't going to be combing resumes for the exam number. You can list it as a qualification/skill without taking the exam. Just state what your experience with it is.

Also, I hear a lot of the text content comes from the course materials, so it may be a bit difficult with self-study. I'll let you know in a few weeks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik
    Also, I hear a lot of the text content comes from the course materials, so it may be a bit difficult with self-study. I'll let you know in a few weeks
    Yes the exam comes directly from the I&C course manual. You could study without it but the manual is very well written and could be used as your only study method (along with the labs in the course and a little hands on).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    70-270, 70-290
    I started out with 12 hours of CBT Nugget video training, which I highly recommend. Of course I could not say if it was detailed enough for the exam - I would not have thought so...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    Why not just d/l and install a trial version of 3.5 Enterprise? Do you have any hardware that might work available to you?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    70-270, 70-290
    Ideally I would like to build a virtual, virtual infrastructure so that I can work entirely from one decent PC, I am not sure if this is possible not having access to physical iSCSI / HBA adaptors?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    Combined with the iSCSI Software Initiator that will work.

The other choice is to use NFS to host the VMs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    Just for everyone's clarification, the software initiator is included with ESX.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    Security+ '08|MCSA:2003|MCDST|MCP: 70-298|A.A.S in Networking
    Word of advise, don't take the Deploy, Secure and Analyze to prep for the VCP.

This class is considered an "alternate" to the install and config class. It focuses on command line administration via the ESX Service Console. There are no test questinos regarding commands in the Service Console.

According to my instructor, Install and Config is all that is needed to pass the VCP.

The fasttrack is a hybrid between the two and you get a voucher for the exam. It is more or less a 12 hour X 5 day boot camp with VMware certified instructors.

Happy Testing!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaltacc
    Word of advise, don't take the Deploy, Secure and Analyze to prep for the VCP.
    DSA was added as an option for people who had been working with ESX for a few years and who wanted to get their VCP but didn't want to "go back to basics" and instead get some value out of the training. The DSA course content now maps to the Enterprise exam in the VCDX track. I&C like you said maps to the VCP exam.

P.S. You double posted.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.A NCM √ MCP √ MCSA:Sec 2003 √ Network+ √ Security+ √ VCP Exam √
    From the blog of a VMWare trainer:

* You get asked 75 questions
    * You have 90 minutes to answer the questions
    * You have to get a score of 70 or better to pass
    * The questions are weighted, so some score more points than others
    * You have to go to a Pearson Vue testing centre to take the exam
    * The Install & Configure course is the best match to the exam
    * You do have to attend an official course to be a VCP
    * You can take the exam without attending an official course, but you won't be a VCP
    * Roughly 85% of takers pass first time

I will take the exam without the course and wait till I find an employer that pays for it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andretii View Post
    * You do have to attend an official course to be a VCP
    * You can take the exam without attending an official course, but you won't be a VCP
    Yes. They won't stop you from taking the VCP exam but you won't actually get the VCP certification without attending an official course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.A NCM √ MCP √ MCSA:Sec 2003 √ Network+ √ Security+ √ VCP Exam √
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    Yes. They won't stop you from taking the VCP exam but you won't actually get the VCP certification without attending an official course.
    That's good enough with me since I just want to accumulate all the skills/certifications that I'm looking for this year and them put them on practice next year when I hopefully move to another job that requires those skills.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andretii View Post
    That's good enough with me since I just want to accumulate all the skills/certifications that I'm looking for this year and them put them on practice next year when I hopefully move to another job that requires those skills.
    Just be aware that VI3.5 aka ESX 3.5 is going to be replaced by vSphere 4.0 aka ESX 4.0 soon and that the exam + course will be changing at some point. If you've taken the official VI3.5 VCP course (there are unofficial ones that won't qualify you for a VCP) then you've got to take the exam by December 2009 I believe it is otherwise you have to retake the course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks