+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last
  1. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec

Default Getting another 60 days out of ESXi

Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    Sweet...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 3/22/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-412; 2/11/2017 - Completed VCP6-DCV (passed 2V0-621)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), more Linux, AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, MCSA 2016, Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Awesome!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Why would you need another 60 days? ESXi is free. VMware gives you a license key for it when you download it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    Because any extras are disabled once you put in the "free" key (VCB, etc)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 3/22/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-412; 2/11/2017 - Completed VCP6-DCV (passed 2V0-621)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), more Linux, AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    ESXi is free to download and use in its full capacity for 60 days only. After 60 days, ESXi looses some of it's funcitonality, including VI API write access and its ability to be managed by SNMP, VirtualCenter Server, and (I think) VI Client. You need to purchase a license for vSphere or vCenter Server to remove the 60-day counter.

I'm not an expert on VMWare product licensing, so somebody correct me on this if I'm wrong somewhere.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    You should be able to use VI Client I think, but not be able to use anything that ties to vCenter.
    IT guy since 12/00

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by blargoe View Post
    You should be able to use VI Client I think, but not be able to use anything that ties to vCenter.

Ill 2nd that. You can still use VI client after adding your free license key. Im doing so as we speak
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    When/where do you get the free license key? I've downloaded ESXi 3.5.0 U3 and U4 several times and I've never seen license keys in an email or on the page.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    You should get it when you register here: https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/ind...free-esxi&lp=1
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CCNA, Linux+, Security+, MCP, CNA, A+, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by snadam View Post
    Ill 2nd that. You can still use VI client after adding your free license key. Im doing so as we speak
    I'll 3rd that. ESXi makes for a nice lab box.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP XP | MCTS: Vista, 7, Hyper-V, AD-DS,2008 Network Infra. | MCITP:EST
    what the hell?

so its not free, its "free".

VMware's days are numbered if they keep dancing around with half-truths.

I'll stick to hyper-v for my test labs, works fine and isnt cut off at the knee.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    what the hell?

There is a paid and a free feature set. They're not the same. You just don't get VirtualCenter.

I'll stick to hyper-v for my test labs, works fine and isnt cut off at the knee.
    I'm going to complain to Microsoft that I don't get the full version of Windows Server 2008 with my copy of Hyper-V.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Some would disagree with you there...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    Jordus, have you compared the features of the "free" version of ESXi to Hyper-V?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    I'm going to complain to Microsoft that I don't get the full version of Windows Server 2008 with my copy of Hyper-V.
    That doesnt begin to compare and you know it.

Also, is VMware ok with this 60 day extension or does it violate their EULA?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Also, is VMware ok with this 60 day extension or does it violate their EULA?
    VMWare has complete control over what the repair feature of their ESXi installer does. Performing a repair resets the 60-day counter because VMWare's product marketing people want it to. VMWare has been very good about catering to the hobbyist community with freebies and this is one way that they do it.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    VMWare has complete control over what the repair feature of their ESXi installer does. Performing a repair resets the 60-day counter because VMWare's product marketing people want it to. VMWare has been very good about catering to the hobbyist community with freebies and this is one way that they do it.
    If you're crazy enough to actually do this in a production environment then you've got bigger problems than VMware getting annoyed with you
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. was here.
    That doesnt begin to compare and you know it.
    The free version of Hyper-V is Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 and its a version of Windows Server 2008 which has been "cut off at the knee". If you're justified in complaining that the free version of ESXi doesn't have the full functionality of the paid product then I don't see why the free version of Hyper-V shouldn't come with all of the paid Windows Server 2008 features.

In both cases, the respective companies are just trying to expand market share. If you like their free product then they hope you'll consider upgrading and paying for the full product. ESX/ESXi is VMware's core enterprise product and if they gave the whole thing away for free, who would bother buying it? It is the same with Hyper-V and Windows Server 2008. Microsoft want you to go wow! Hyper-V is sweet! I'm gonna buy Windows Server 2008.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The free version of Hyper-V is Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 and its a version of Windows Server 2008 which has been "cut off at the knee". If you're justified in complaining that the free version of ESXi doesn't have the full functionality of the paid product then I don't see why the free version of Hyper-V shouldn't come with all of the paid Windows Server 2008 features.

In both cases, the respective companies are just trying to expand market share. If you like their free product then they hope you'll consider upgrading and paying for the full product. ESX/ESXi is VMware's core enterprise product and if they gave the whole thing away for free, who would bother buying it? It is the same with Hyper-V and Windows Server 2008. Microsoft want you to go wow! Hyper-V is sweet! I'm gonna buy Windows Server 2008.
    No its not even close to being the same because ESX is a hypervisor is a hypervisor is a hypervisor. Its not a full fledge operating system that can do tens of thousands of different things like Server 2008 is.

Yes, Hyper-V is also a role in Server 2008 but its a standalone product as Hyper-V server as well. The only functionality you lost in running JUST hyper-V server (as far as the virtualization stuff goes) was the ability to form a cluster. Which is going to be remedied in Hyper-V Server R2.

The day that the paid version of ESX is a standalone full fledge server OS that has 30 more roles than just being a hypervisor is the day your argument will hold any weight.

Basically what it boils down to is this:

Hyper-V server has some features that always stay there, there are additional features you can utilize if you purchase SCVMM. (but these are features of SCVMM, not Hyper-V)

ESX Server has a lot of features, some of which are gone if you DONT purchase their hypervisor manager software.

MS is adding features, vmWare is reducing features because you didnt pad their pocket.

is ESX the superior hypervisor? Probably, but that isnt the point of this discussion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. was here.
    No its not even close to being the same because ESX is a hypervisor is a hypervisor is a hypervisor. Its not a full fledge operating system that can do tens of thousands of different things like Server 2008 is.
    Doesn't matter. I'm comparing them on a free and paid version basis. I never compared them on a feature basis. Hyper-V or ESX may be better. I'm not making either argument here. Hyper-V is a cut down version of Server 2008. Why doesn't Microsoft give me the full version of Server 2008 for free?

You're complaining about the same thing. The free version of ESXi doesn't contain everything that the paid version of ESX does.

Hyper-V server has some features that always stay there, there are additional features you can utilize if you purchase SCVMM. (but these are features of SCVMM, not Hyper-V)
    It is the same for ESXi. The paid features are part of VirtualCenter which you need to purchase. ESXi on the free license loses its ability to be managed to VirtualCenter.

ESX Server has a lot of features, some of which are gone if you DONT purchase their hypervisor manager software.
    Hyper-V has a lot of features, some of which are gone if you DONT purchase their hypervisor manager software.

MS is adding features, vmWare is reducing features because you didnt pad their pocket.
    The "underdog" is giving you more features to gain market share from the current market leader.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Doesn't matter. I'm comparing them on a free and paid version basis. I never compared them on a feature basis. Hyper-V or ESX may be better. I'm not making either argument here. Hyper-V is a cut down version of Server 2008. Why doesn't Microsoft give me the full version of Server 2008 for free?.
    apple to oranges. ESX is a hypervisor, its not totally free. Hyperv is a hypervisor, its totally free.

Hyper-V has a lot of features, some of which are gone if you DONT purchase their hypervisor manager software..
    Wrong. Those are features of SCVMM, not HyperV. As its described in thsi thread, you lose features of ESX (not VirtualCenter) by not purchasing ESX.

The "underdog" is giving you more features to gain market share from the current market leader.
    The underdog will likely end up trouncing the "upperdog" if the "upperdog" doesnt evolve.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Yes, Hyper-V is also a role in Server 2008 but its a standalone product as Hyper-V server as well. The only functionality you lost in running JUST hyper-V server (as far as the virtualization stuff goes) was the ability to form a cluster. Which is going to be remedied in Hyper-V Server R2.
    Actually that's not true. The free version of Hyper-V server is also limited to:

- 16 logical CPUs
    - 32GB of physical RAM

The current free version of ESXi is "limited" to:
    - 64 logical CPUs
    - 1TB of physical RAM

Now R2 will likely do away with all those limits on the free version of Hyper-V, but the reason for that is the limited adoption (does anyone actually know of a single user of the free version of Hyper-V?) and Microsoft's need to break into the market further.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    apple to oranges. ESX is a hypervisor, its not totally free. Hyperv is a hypervisor, its totally free.

Wrong. Those are features of SCVMM, not HyperV. As its described in thsi thread, you lose features of ESX (not VirtualCenter) by not purchasing ESX.

The underdog will likely end up trouncing the "upperdog" if the "upperdog" doesnt evolve.
    ESXi is totally free, there are no time limits and you receive a lifetime product key when you sign up to download it. You also get a free 60 day evaluation of some of the paid features. That is because there is no difference between the free and paid versions of the hypervisor - a simple license key activates everything.

You loose nothing by not purchasing. You don't gain advanced features like high availablity (clustering), VMotion (live migration), DRS, etc without purchasing - same holds true currently for Microsoft. Only Citrix provides live migration for free.

I would say that vSphere is an evolution. It set the bar a few miles higher for the competition; VMware isn't a slouch, the new features introduced there are phenominal.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member
    You're acting like they're identical because they're both hypervisors. Like I subtly hinted at earlier, do some research as to what you're actually getting. Hyper-V doesn't do things like memory ballooning last I checked

What features are you referring to? HA, Vmotion, DRS, etc. all require VC.

I take it you haven't looked at vsphere yet...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks