The situation is we are implementing Vsphere 4.0 at my plant (major fortune 500) We have a guy up north that is our Vmware guru and he is great, helps me alot, but I believe training is the way to go for our local level. So I wrote this letter to my boss and his (after talking with my boss about it of course) and wanted to know what TE members thought of it.
(Bosses name), I am writing to request VMware training. I believe this would benefit (company name) and more specifically the (local Site name) site.
First let me say that (Vm guru's name) is a top notch IT professional and has been very helpful, but I believe this training would allow me lessen my dependence on him, of course I would still confer with him on all major issues.
I am excited that (Company name) has chosen to implement Virtualization at our site and believe it will become the major component of our windows infrastructure. It is my opinion that there are several major benefits of having someone at our site trained directly.
1. Vendor training would provide a platform from which to build a high level of competence, this in turn allowing the plant to have an employee that is both familiar with it's virtual environment and it's current physical environment. This would improve the quality of administrative and maintenance decisions made at the plant level.
2. Administrative overhead would be reduced because more issues could be resolved locally.
3. The local resource could more accurately describe and explain the capabilities and limitations of the virtual environment to management in turn improving the overall quality of decisions made at the plant level.
4. The speed and efficiency with which the system could be recovered in the event of a major outage would be improved. This would lessen the communication barrier and in some instances it may be possible for two or more individuals to work on different aspects of the same outage.
5. (Company name) would gain an asset that would be more capable to assist in any future projects or outages at other facilities.
On a personal note I believe in vendor training and have attended classes in the past both through my employer and on my own.
Thanks for taking the time to read my request and if you need any additional information please let me know and I will be glad to get it to you.