+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 First 123 456713 ... Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CCENT
    I've called all the colleges within about a 75 mile radius that are on that list. No one at any of the schools has even heard of this. Ugh... this is frustrating...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, GCIA
    That's the thing. Nobody seems to know what I'm' talking, lol. So I figured I would see if any locals had gone this route before. I was trying to avoid going down there because I am not familiar with the campus, there is tons of construction down that freeway, etc. I don't want to seem lazy but I figured if they couldn't help me over the phone they wont do much in person. I guess there is only one way to find out...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Life
    I did not mean to imply that he could skip entire semester and show up for the final only. But, if he has to come late or leave early, due to his work schedule, he should talk to instructor. Most (not all) instructors would understand and not fail/cut you for such a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseyelite View Post
    I teach the ICM class at a local college and yes attendence is manidatory. You are allowed to miss one class.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hi powerfool,

Thank you for this info. Currently I am living in a small town here in Australia. So, I need to find authorized VCP online course. Have you ever come across any training center/university who are offering courses in VMWare?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by OzzieIT; 01-28-2013 at 05:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    I did mine from here > https://course.ucsc-extension.edu/mo...heckout.action . Cost was $1100, the course was 2 months long though and you do it at your own pace. With the high Australian dollar, my course cost me about $990 AUD. The instructor was good, you could ask him questions when you wanted via a pm or a chat session. The other good part about this particular place was that the instructor doesnt deliver lectures that you need to attend. There was another place called CCT&I that offered the VCP for $1500, but you needed to be online when the lecture was delivered. The lecture was delivered at 11am AEDST, not good for us here down under.

You can take the course at any place provided it's an authorized center and the program is accepted by VMware as a prerequisite for the VCP 5 certification.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thank you Essendon.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    VCP5, CCNA, CCNA:Sec, N+, S+
    I looked up the course at ucsc and it looks like its 2 weeks. Were you working full time when you took the class? Any idea how much time you spent total on the class?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Dunno which one you looked at, but I took the online class. The duration was 2 months and you could do it at your own pace. I was working full-time when I took the course. Total on the course was $990 (course cost) + $10 (lab manual cost) = $1000AUD. If your in the US, it's cost you $1110 USD. I think they've increased the price and the class now costs $1200 USD. I'm positive that there may be other places that may do it for cheaper. A TE member posted a while ago that he did it for something like $600, so look around and save yourself a fair bit of coin.

Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member

Certifications
    Do you know if its a 5.0 or 5.1 course?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    5.0, AFAIK. When in doubt, email them and confirm. Dont take my word for it, they may have updated to 5.0.

Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    5.0, AFAIK. When in doubt, email them and confirm. Dont take my word for it, they may have updated to 5.0.
    /offtopic
    when a deal is too good to be true never email, never call, just order and pray it will be delivered. rule #1 at Slickdeals.net
    j/k

Could not resist, sorry.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    I did mine from Ohlone College. Paid $98 for the whole course plus the VMware Academy book that is required for $48. The ebook is around $16 if I am not mistaken. I didn't get the ebook version since it is not PDF or Mobi format. Thought about taking the VCP exam but most likely not. May give away my discount code soon.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    @networkjutsu: Was this an online class? Can anyone take it? You have me VERY intrigued.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. 1337sauce

Certifications
    BS, Linux+, Security+, LPIC-1, MCSE Server 2012, MCSE Desktop, MCSA Server 2008, MCTS 70-[415,681], MCTS 74-409, VCA-DCV, Novell CLA/DCTS/CNS, HDI CSR
    Quote Originally Posted by taternuts666 View Post
    @networkjutsu: Was this an online class? Can anyone take it? You have me VERY intrigued.
    I found this on the schools website:

Title VMware: Install, Configure
    Course Section Number CNET-120-02
    Description
    Credits 2.00
    Start Date 28 January 2013
    End Date 24 May 2013

Online class. Students must have Internet access. Consult the Distance Education heading after the class listings in this class schedule for important information on this class. Go to Ohlone College and follow the instructions for getting started. EBook Instructions: 1. Make sure you get the vSphere 5.0 version, NOT 4.1 or any other release! 2. Go to Login Page 3. Login: Guest - Student, password: ! Password1 (Note: the Login is just as you see it, with blanks around the hyphen, two words) 4. Click on 'ebook' where you see it at the top of the left-hand column 5. Click on 'student eBooks' in the center of the page 6. Select "VMware Academy vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage Student" 7. Enter the number of copies you want and then "Add to Cart" 8. Fill out the form asking for your name and address. Then press "Licensee Details" 9. You do not need to fill out the "Licensee Details" form. That's used if you already have a license and wish to re-assign it to someone else. 10. Once you confirm the order you will get an order number and an email containing the voucher. Follow the instructions in the email and you'll have access to the student kit. Note that the kit can be viewed online through a browser or can be downloaded to a Windows/Mac machine where you have to install a reader for the eBook. I beleive that you can only register the eBook on two machines at a time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    i'm trying to call them right now and can't get anyone to answer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    Taternuts666, they do offer it both online and on site. You may have to pay more since you live outside of CA. The lectures are live when the on site class meets. All questions asked during the lecture via online would not be answered right away. It'll be answered during break and/or after the lecture.

You may want to check College of DuPage as well - took my BCMSN class there when I was living in Cook county. I actually told one of my acquaintances about it since he was looking for a VMware class for cheap but didn't know about VMware Academy. Not sure if they offer it online though. Sorry, too lazy to check their site.

I have David Patrick's email address (the instructor) so if you want it send me a PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    I just sent you a PM networkjutsu. I can't get anyone at Ohlone to return my calls or emails and can't speak to an actual person. I'll check out DuPage.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    Check your PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member

Certifications
    The UCSC is 2 months long and is based on 5.0.

Regarding the online one at Ohlone, do you have to be online during a set period? The one at UCSC seems totally up to you, but the one at CCCTI you have to be online at set times for the course.

I'm leaning for the UCSC course, but i'm going to look into these other two. Please let me know if anyone is signing up for any classes in the not to far future.
    Last edited by daba; 02-12-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member
    Daba,

The Ohlone one, I am not sure if they updated it to 5.1 yet. When I took the ICM class (Fall 2012), VMware announced 5.1 in the middle of the semester. Our class was the very first one where the instructor tried the online quiz (five questions). The quiz was set to expire 7:15PM or 7:30PM PST every Wednesday, which is the same night of the lecture as well. The first few times I attended the live lecture, but since it is being recorded I didn't bother to attend the live lectures anymore. The labs are at your own pace but you get reminded by the instructor once in a while if you're really behind. Some students finish it on a weekend some follow the schedule of the class. It is entirely up to you. The labs are 75% of your grade so do all of them and you get a C. You can forget about the quiz and the final exam if you want to. Though, I don't recommend it.

For all interested on the price of Ohlone, I talked to taternuts666 and was told that total fees is around $500 for out of state students. For CA residents, it should be just under $100 for the tuition plus the cost of the book ($48 hard copy or $16 soft copy - not PDF or Mobi version).
    Last edited by networkjutsu; 02-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    It's too late to get into the Ohlone class right now but I'm assuming there will be another next semester. The last day for registration was 2/8 but it needed to have the instructor's approval. I emailed the instructor asking for the approval but he said he couldn't approve because they were already 2 weeks into class. Still a hell of a price for this class if you want to keep your eye out for next semester though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    So if anyone else is following this I finally found a great deal for the Install, Configure, Manage class online. It is through Stanly Community College in North Carolina. The cost of the course is $180 + $43 for the required text book. The book must be an in-house book or something because even googling the ISBN nothing comes up.

Also they don't charge tuition for out of state students since it is considered a continuing education course and not for college credit. I spoke with the instructor through email and they are part of the VMWare IT academy so completion of the course will make you eligible for the VCP cert. Also the lectures are pre-recorded so he described it as essentially an 8 week self-paced course with all the labs online as well.

I just registered and it starts 3/11/2013. Looks to be 2 more spots left if anyone is interested. If not the instructor says there may be a summer course but definitely a fall semester course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. 1337sauce

Certifications
    BS, Linux+, Security+, LPIC-1, MCSE Server 2012, MCSE Desktop, MCSA Server 2008, MCTS 70-[415,681], MCTS 74-409, VCA-DCV, Novell CLA/DCTS/CNS, HDI CSR
    Wow that's amazing, I found the course you're talking about but it says there are 16 available seats?

Anyways thanks for the heads up!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    Yea I think you're right actually. I think I read the seat availability backwards so instead being 17 seats filled before I signed up there were 17 available. I hope to see some fellow TE members in the class. If anyone signs up please PM me and maybe we can organize a help/study group.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    $223 really is amazing! I have no idea how they can offer such a low price for something that costs much more elsewhere. UCSC charges $1100 or something and CCCT&I asks for $1500, doesnt make sense. But you cant beat $223!

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 First 123 456713 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks