+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Senior Member

Default Lowest cost VMware course for VCP5

Not to sound cheap, but has anyone found an affordable VMware approved course for VCP5?

Must be online!

What are the majority of board members choosing for course attendance?
    Last edited by Brain_Power; 04-03-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    VCP-Cloud, VCP 5, CDIA+, Net+, MCP, Sec+, Server+, MCSA, ITIL, CCENT, CCNA, VCP 6
    [QUOTE OF ENTIRE PRECEDING POST REMOVED]

I posted two online courses in your other thread.
    Last edited by Slowhand; 03-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    UCSC Extension

23 April - 25 June

9 July - 24 Sept

I wouldn't worry about sounding cheap... where I come from it's considered smart. Also a lot of places over here won't pay for it without getting you to stay for 12 months, that's OK if you are getting paid good money but if you are trying to go places then it may work out better to pay for it yourself if you have a good chance of earning more money somewhere else... and you don't have to wait around to make a move..

I prefer this way of learning over a few weeks than 5 days... that's too short for me... and it works out cheaper
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseyelite View Post
    I posted two online courses in your other thread.
    Thanks! I wanted to check out more options before I commit!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif Dasl View Post
    UCSC Extension

23 April - 25 June

9 July - 24 Sept

I wouldn't worry about sounding cheap... where I come from it's considered smart. Also a lot of places over here won't pay for it without getting you to stay for 12 months, that's OK if you are getting paid good money but if you are trying to go places then it may work out better to pay for it yourself if you have a good chance of earning more money somewhere else... and you don't have to wait around to make a move..

I prefer this way of learning over a few weeks than 5 days... that's too short for me... and it works out cheaper

This is a great price and I agree about the extra training days! Have you completed the course or enrolled in a future course?

Thanks for posting!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    If you're concerned about the cost, you could always see if your local community college is part of VMware's IT Academy Program. The class would last an entire semester, as opposed to four or five days, but you'd be paying the regular cost of 3 units as opposed to the $5,500 VMware themselves charge their own class. In my neck of the woods, a lot of CCs offer online courses, especially IT-related ones, so it might be worth a look.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    CCC&TI

I took this course. There's nothing wrong with lowest cost when you're footing the bill of which I paid for mine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_Power View Post
    This is a great price and I agree about the extra training days! Have you completed the course or enrolled in a future course?

Thanks for posting!
    That's the one I am going on... probably the July one, but I need to make a dicision by the end of the week whether to go for the April one if it's still available by then, times running out so if you want to go on the April one do it ASAP, places go quickly... I'm surprised the April one is available this late, maybe they put an extra course on due to demand...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE VCP2 VCP3 VCP4 VCP5 VCAP4-DCA VCI
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    as opposed to the $5,500 VMware themselves charge their own class.
    The list price for a VMware or VATC delivered Install Configure Manage course is around $3,500 rather than $5,500. I know that's still more than an Academy partner will charge, but then you could get on a VMware or VATC class next week and qualify for VCP by the end of next week, and your class will be delivered by a VCI.
    Last edited by scott28tt; 04-03-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    If you're concerned about the cost, you could always see if your local community college is part of VMware's IT Academy Program. The class would last an entire semester, as opposed to four or five days, but you'd be paying the regular cost of 3 units as opposed to the $5,500 VMware themselves charge their own class. In my neck of the woods, a lot of CCs offer online courses, especially IT-related ones, so it might be worth a look.
    On the VMwares IT Academy Program... how does that work? Do I take a class and then take a test and its becomes an approved classroom time? I realize its much cheaper but the time it takes can be a possible quarter long course. In which im trying to find the quickest/cheapest way to get this cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member Registered Member
    This is the most cost effective online training I found for VCP 5. I am paying from my own pocket sinraining,ce I work as consultant and the employer does not pay for training.
    However, considering the continuing education / training is tax deductible, I would get most of it at the end of the year or later. Your situation may vary, but consult your accountant for more info.

University of California, Santa Cruz. - UCSC Extension Silicon Valley are VMware Academy Partners.

Participants

Areas of Study and Courses | UCSC Extension Silicon Valley

30027.(007)-Registration VMware vSPHERE: Configuration and Management
    [V5.0] $ 1,200.00 $ 1,200.00

Discount total: $ 110.00
    Total: $ 1,090.00
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    Anyone else found any cost-effective training? I would like to complete this in a few weeks, rather than months at a local college.

Post links plz of where you completed your training.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, 70-640, VCP4, VCP6-DCV
    I ended up having my employer front me the travel, hotel, and $3500 training class. We are heavy VMWare so it was no big deal- but I did feel obligated to stay for a year, even if it wasn't in writing.

The Install, Configure, Manage course was actually pretty decent at explaining the basics. I had a good instructor too- he was able to answer some higher level questions I had outside of the scope of the class. I would highly recommend taking one of these classes if at all possible.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCP(XP), Technical Diploma in Network Systems Administration
    I am doing VSphere5 I/C/M next week from home. Signing up for VMUG is a no brainer. $200 spent to shave $700 off of every course. I am a total newb, so I hope I can absorb the information well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, 70-640, VCP4, VCP6-DCV
    lol Steve. You seem like a bright guy- I think you will be perfectly fine. Enjoy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, RHCSA
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLord View Post
    I am doing VSphere5 I/C/M next week from home. Signing up for VMUG is a no brainer. $200 spent to shave $700 off of every course.
    There is also a special with VMUG. When you sign up you get a free exam voucher for VCP5. Granted a free voucher comes with most courses, but if you go the CC route and they don't foot the bill, this is 25$ off.

VMUG : Advantage Benefits
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member
    I am wondering if anybody has any newer information about what would be the smartest/best way -money wise- to take the class?

Where have you all taken it recently?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, VCP4/5, VCAP5-DCA, C|EH, CCENT
    Search for a community college that offers the course in your area. If something cheaper had been found it would be the latest buzz on this forum.

Also check out vmug. For $200 a year you can get a decent discount on training and exams plus other benefits.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. 1337sauce

Certifications
    BS, Linux+, Security+, LPIC-1, MCSE Server 2012, MCSE Desktop, MCSA Server 2008, MCTS 70-[415,681], MCTS 74-409, VCA-DCV, Novell CLA/DCTS/CNS, HDI CSR
    Quote Originally Posted by azjag View Post
    Search for a community college that offers the course in your area. If something cheaper had been found it would be the latest buzz on this forum.
    taternuts found a CC offering it online for $235, not including the exam cost

Inexpensive VMware Training Options
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member Registered Member
    I am the vSphere instructor for Ohlone College in Fremont, California. Like any of the VMware Academy program participants, we offer the 5.x ICM course at the current class rates. Ours is a 2-unit class that runs a full 16-week semester. I don't have the particulars about the total cost because to take the class you also have to be registered as a student at Ohlone. The most current information I have is $218 per unit for out of state students and there's an enrollment/registration fee for Ohlone. I don't know what that is. It's probably somewhere on our website: Ohlone College, A World of Cultures United in Learning - Ohlone College, Fremont, Newark, East Bay Area, California.

We use the NDG Netlab setup for online students. Successful completion of the class allows you to take the VCP exam and enables me to send you the voucher information to get a discount on taking the VCP 5.x test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Welcome to the forums, dkpatrick, and thank you for the information. Am I to understand that Ohlone College offers both an online and a classroom version of this class? It looks like CNET-120-01 is the in-class version and CNET-120-02 is the online course, is that correct?

** EDIT **

Man, had I known about this a week ago, I'd have dropped into your online course this semester; last day to add was February 8th. Looks like I'll have to come back to this in the fall.
    Last edited by Slowhand; 02-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.

ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    Hey Mr. Patrick! I was in your Fall 2012 class!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpatrick View Post
    I am the vSphere instructor for Ohlone College in Fremont, California. Like any of the VMware Academy program participants, we offer the 5.x ICM course at the current class rates. Ours is a 2-unit class that runs a full 16-week semester. I don't have the particulars about the total cost because to take the class you also have to be registered as a student at Ohlone. The most current information I have is $218 per unit for out of state students and there's an enrollment/registration fee for Ohlone. I don't know what that is. It's probably somewhere on our website: Ohlone College, A World of Cultures United in Learning - Ohlone College, Fremont, Newark, East Bay Area, California.

We use the NDG Netlab setup for online students. Successful completion of the class allows you to take the VCP exam and enables me to send you the voucher information to get a discount on taking the VCP 5.x test.
    Hi dkpatrick. I am in southern California and I am very interested in taking the online 5.x ICM course. I checked out the course announcements on the Ohlone site and the course description for CNET-120 shows as being for ESXi 4.x. That seems to be the only course under vmware when using ctrl+f. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    MCSE 2003, VCP5-DCV
    A lot of people here (including myself) are taking it right now online through stanly community college. It's only $180 plus $60 for the book. Another section is starting on May 20th.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member

Certifications
    ENSA, MCSA:2003, MSCA:2008,MCTS:SBS 2008, MSTC:SBS2011,MCTS: Win2k8R2, Server Virtualization, RWMCP 2012, AIS HP Proliant 2010, CIW Websecurity Profes
    I'm a non-US citizen and live outside of the USA, would it be possible for me to enroll?
    Last edited by lordmorgoth; 03-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks