+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hi Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by MiikeB View Post
    Ive got ESXI running on my Lenovo W520 laptop and I LOVE it. I took the CDRom out for another HDD so I have two 750GB HDDs, i7 processor and 16GB of Ram.

ESXi boots off the SD card then I have plenty of storage to work with. I also have a 64GB MSata drive with a Windows 7 install on it in case I ever need to use the laptop as a regular laptop.

Its great because I can take it and another laptop anywhere and have a full lab, its quiet and eats up almost no space. Cost me ~1400 total.
    I would like to get a Lenovo W520 laptop and ESXI on it to be able to have a "mobile" lab. What version of ESXi did you use? Are there any special tweaks needed?

Thanks for your reply!

Regards,

Robert
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hi Mike,

I am especially curious if and how you got the network up and running.

Regards,

Robert
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member
    Seeing a lot of people go with the Supermicro board (9XSCM-F-O) and a Xeon. I did myself. Just wanted to share what I did for RAM as it seems like this may be the cheapest at $54 a stick for 8GB. https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=W1333EB8GM

I was running 2 of these sticks in my host up since July until yesterday when the two more sticks I ordered came. Have had ZERO problems with it so far. The setup is a beast.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    Quote Originally Posted by robert.berger View Post
    Hi Mike,

I would like to get a Lenovo W520 laptop and ESXI on it to be able to have a "mobile" lab. What version of ESXi did you use? Are there any special tweaks needed?

Thanks for your reply!

Regards,

Robert
    You could run all that in VMware workstation and have just as good of performance and not sacrifice using the machine for other things. I have a W530 with 32GB of RAM and 1 128GB SSD and 1 512GB SSD. I can run the following in VMware Workstation:

2x nested ESXi hosts
    vCenter
    2x Vyatta Routers - scenario testing of a WAN
    2x NetApp ONTAP Simulators
    3x Nested VMs within the nested hosts

I could run more because this thing doesn't even sweat when running this. Other than the heft of it, it's a beast and a great machine overall. Mine of course cost a bit more than ~1400 though. Can't recommend an SSD enough though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks