+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 234 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CCENT

Default Spring 2013 Stanly CC vSphere 5 ICM Class Thread

Since I know there are several people here on TE that are taking one of the ICM classes through Stanly this spring I've decided to go ahead and open a thread for all of us. Here we can exchange ideas, questions, comments, and other contact info in case we want to study together outside TE.

My book is scheduled to arrive here at my work today and looks like the class starts 3/12. I'm pretty excited however a little nervous as well. I'm currently attending WGU and this probably wasn't the smartest thing to try and do while I'm still in school. It looks like it's going to be pretty difficult, especially with my very limited virtualization experience. Oh well....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    A+, MCDST, MCSA
    I am also in the class. received login and book today. Any idea what the requirements for class would be per week to be successful
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member
    Can you guys please describe the books title and table of content? Just want to see if they are the same as the ones from my co-worker who took his ICM course else where. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    The title is VMware vSphere:
    Install, Configure, Manage
    ESXi 5.0 and vCenter Server 5.0
    Part Number EDU-ENG-ICM5-LEC1-STU
    Student Manual - Volume 1
    Revision A

There is a Volume 2 along with it and also another book just for the labs. The first volume has 7 modules and the 2nd volume has another 7 modules for a total for 14. I'm assuming if the part # (located just before the table of contents page) is the same then you should be golden.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    It shouldnt be too hard guys, the course is geared for people with varying degrees of virtualization experience. The instructor should start from the basics, but he'll expect attendees to have some system administration experience (something I'm sure most VCP course attendees have). Also ensure you lab up the entire course material well, understand why something is happening and what would happen if you didnt do it.

The exam will have questions on everything you see in the vSphere client session, ranging from the login screen to scheduled tasks to alarms to anything really. What I mean is nothing is less important. Lab up in your own lab as well, the course on its own is probably not enough for you to pass the test. The test is a different beast than you'd expect. Use Scott Lowe's Mastering vSphere 5 book, this is a MUST. If you understand the material in the book, the test will be a breeze. Good luck!
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taternuts666 View Post
    The title is VMware vSphere:
    Install, Configure, Manage
    Part Number EDU-ENG-ICM5-LEC1-STU
    Student Manual - Volume 1
    Revision A

There is a Volume 2 along with it and also another book just for the labs. The first volume has 7 modules and the 2nd volume has another 7 modules for a total for 14. I'm assuming if the part # (located just before the table of contents page) is the same then you should be golden.
    Thank you! What about the Lab book? Are there 7 Labs and the title is like below?

VMware vSphere:
    Overview
    Part Number EDU-ENG-OVR5-LAB-STU
    Student Laboratory Exercises
    Revision A
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. DPG
    Quote Originally Posted by pusher View Post
    Thank you! What about the Lab book? Are there 7 Labs and the title is like below?

VMware vSphere:
    Overview
    Part Number EDU-ENG-OVR5-LAB-STU
    Student Laboratory Exercises
    Revision A
    The one my coworker has is EDU-ENG-ICM5-LAB-STU. There are 21 labs.
    He did note that the class did not require these labs and that the school had their own labs to follow.

Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Jr Member
    As part of the Vmware IT academy thought i saw somewhere on the internet that you get a longer trial version of Vsphere than the usual 60 day, is that true?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Life
    It is true, but there is a big BUT in there. The program is called VMAP VMware Academic Program Facts, and it cost about $250 an year for an educational institution to participate in.

This program allows students to get 1 copy of VMware Workstation/vSPhere/vCenter/Fusion and etc.. for $0 for 1 year, with an option to buy a warranty to extend the license to 24 month instead of default 12.

Here is Stanley's eStore for the VMAP program: Stanly Community College - Instructional Technology | Academic Software Discounts

Your school -whoever is responsible to manage the program - must register you on the website, before you could download anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikdilly View Post
    As part of the Vmware IT academy thought i saw somewhere on the internet that you get a longer trial version of Vsphere than the usual 60 day, is that true?
    Last edited by JBrown; 03-07-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Jr Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
    It is true, but there is a big BUT in there. The program is called VMAP VMware Academic Program Facts, and it cost about $250 an year for an educational institution to participate in.

This program allows students to get 1 copy of VMware Workstation/vSPhere/vCenter/Fusion and etc.. for $0 for 1 year, with an option to buy a warranty to extend the license to 24 month instead of default 12.

Here is Stanley's eStore for the VMAP program: Stanly Community College - Instructional Technology | Academic Software Discounts

Your school -whoever is responsible to manage the program - must register you on the website, before you could download anything.

Thanks for that, sounds like a good deal, guess we'll find out if we're eligible once class starts.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+, A+, Security+, MCP (270,290,291), MCSA, MCSA: Security, MCITP:SA, CIW Professional, BS IT, MSIA
    Looks like our class starts tomorrow, are you ready for it?

Though I haven't used esx 5 I did go through the book and it from the looks of it alot are things that I have dealt with in my past 3.5 and 4 installations.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    I'm actually pretty excited to get started tomorrow. I read the first part of the book, just up to the first lab. That way I can start with that lab and go from there tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+, A+, Security+, MCP (270,290,291), MCSA, MCSA: Security, MCITP:SA, CIW Professional, BS IT, MSIA
    Has anyone here been able to login yet?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyiop View Post
    Has anyone here been able to login yet?
    I was able to log in this morning. The syllabus, labs 1-2 and modules 1-3 are posted.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Jr Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutsacjac View Post
    I was able to log in this morning. The syllabus, labs 1-2 and modules 1-3 are posted.
    Logged in as well but had to reset password first, still can't tell what time today the class is, does anybody know?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member

Certifications
    Network+, A+, MCSA, Linux+, CCNA
    Hi All,

Wanted to say hi as I just began looking into VMware training and came across Stanly SCC. I didn't get into the two current sessions but I was able to register for the May session, so I'll be following the thread in preparation to see everyone's experience with the course. Good Luck everyone!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    BA: MIS, MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support 7, MCSA Windows 7 Configuration, VCP5, ITIL V3 Foundation, AWS Technical Professional
    It's a fairly easy class but do take your time to ask questions to get a little more in depth on some of the subject areas.

Glad to see quite a few other TE memebers getting into VMware!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCTIP/MCSA: Win7 Desktop, MCITP: Server 2008 R2 Virtualization Administrator, 70-681 (Win7 Deployment), CCNA, EMC Storage Associate, A+, Network+
    This class also interests me. The sister class at Ohlone also interests me because it is in-State and nearby. Hope the participants of Stanly keep all the lurkers here up-to-date.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikdilly View Post
    Logged in as well but had to reset password first, still can't tell what time today the class is, does anybody know?

There is no preset time for the class other than you could not log into Moodle until 9am. Other than that you should be good to go!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. DPG
    It looks like the stanly.edu site is down.

Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    It looks like the stanly.edu site is down.
    I assumed that most already knew this but this is the email that I received lastnight:

"Greetings to All Students:

This is to advise you that the connection providing access to all of Stanly Community College online resources such as Moodle, Webadvisor, the SCC website and all other online resources will not be available starting mid-night Tuesday night until 6am Wednesday morning.

Our internet service provider will be taking the line down for necessary repairs on the fiber optic cable. We apologize for any inconvenience but unfortunately damage to the fiber optic cabling necessitates these repairs.

If you have any questions about how this may impact your online course work, please consult your online instructor.

Again, our apology for the service interruption."

I guess they started early
    Last edited by qwertyiop; 03-12-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member Registered Member
    I just communicated with Mr. Huneycutt regarding the posting of modules. He stated he releases new content on Mondays.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Member

Certifications
    A+, MCDST, MCSA
    Does that mean we should finish what is posted by Monday?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    Looks like they got the Pod situation figured out. I was assigned Pod #1 and it's the only one I can see.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyITguy View Post
    Does that mean we should finish what is posted by Monday?
    I read that to mean we don't get new content until Monday, ie no new quizzes or lectures.
    Last edited by makkanosappo; 03-14-2013 at 02:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 234 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks