+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    AAS Electrical Engineering Technology, BBA Information Technology, MCP, A+, Network+, CCNA: Security, VCP5-DCV, CCNP

Default Passed my VCP5!!

Took the course a few months ago, read a lot and labbed a lot and finally passed! Fortunately, my company has hardware I could play with which helped a lot. Without an actual environment, it would have been much tougher I believe. It was tougher than I expected anyway and to me, a lot of the questions were very tricky or borderline unfair but in the end I'm a VCP!! Now itz breaktime... then on-to-the-next-one
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Congrats! Does next one mean the DCA or the VCP-IaaS or something completely different?
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    AAS Electrical Engineering Technology, BBA Information Technology, MCP, A+, Network+, CCNA: Security, VCP5-DCV, CCNP
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    Congrats! Does next one mean the DCA or the VCP-IaaS or something completely different?
    Well, I might keep the 'vMomentum' up and go for the VCAP DCA. But I actually had just started working on the CCNP before I found out my company was setting this up so i'm gonna get back to that also. I wanted to take a crack at the CISSP too, so I'll have to see.

I notice you're a VCAP yourself. Any suggestions or advice on that? How difficult is it compared to the VCP? Timeframe? What did your path to VCAP look like? Sorry for all the questions, I just would appreciate some guidance and experience. And thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    I highly recommend doing the DCA if you work on vSphere daily. The amount of stuff you learn is astonishing, really. I worked on vSphere before I took the DCA, and I after I've done it I am able to look at vSphere from a different angle, if you will.

I found the DCA "easier". Easier because I labbed the hell out of it. Dunno if you know about the DCA, but it's done on a live lab, you have 26 tasks to complete and about 70% of the tasks you'll have are what a senior(ish) vSphere admin would do on a daily basis. I am the kind of person that does practical stuff better than memorize a bunch of things.

Timeframe: I started studying for it in October, then slacked off on the study in November because of work. I started a new job in early December and focused on it more than the study. Started in earnest again in Feb, really ramped it up in March and finally took it on April 4. So all up, about 2 months of decent study time. 2 hours every weekday and more on either Saturday/Sunday.

Check out my thread about me sitting the test, I've listed my resources in there. In a nutshell, my resources:

- Paul Grevink's study guide (this is gold!)
    - thefoglite.com (this is great too)
    - The Clustering Technical Deepdive book
    - Lots and lots of lab time. Lab up EVERYTHING. It's all fair game, I had two full tasks on something not many people use in their daily life and that thing is AutoDeploy. DO NOT miss anything.
    - I read the Mastering vSphere book about 3 times over

Other members, blargoe and dave330i also passed their DCA's not too long ago. Their threads contain a wealth of info too.

Good luck on what should be a great learning experience. If you have specific questions, shoot!

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    Congratulations. Have you received your cert #?
    2017 Certification Goals: Fun filled world of AWS
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, Security+, Network+, A+
    Congrats! Where did you take the course? Did you do that online school a lot of TE'ers are in?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    Other members, blargoe and dave330i also passed their DCA's not too long ago. Their threads contain a wealth of info too.
    That's a lie. My threads are worthless.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Ran out of room :(
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member JohnnyBiggles's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
    Congratulations. Have you received your cert #?
    Thanks! I checked VMware's site and still only see the course listed, so no, not yet. Anyone know how long this takes and if you receive an actual certificate by mail/pdf?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member JohnnyBiggles's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by webgeek View Post
    Congrats! Where did you take the course? Did you do that online school a lot of TE'ers are in?
    My company set it up with a learning center called New Horizons which turned out to allow the students to do it from home (or go in to the center if your home computer was not up to par). Fortunately, my home PC was and I was able to do it in my PJs & slippers Oddly, although very informative, the course didn't cover in detail as much as I was expecting, despite how long it was. There's a long way to go after taking that course! What course is this you speak of?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBiggles View Post
    Thanks! I checked VMware's site and still only see the course listed, so no, not yet. Anyone know how long this takes and if you receive an actual certificate by mail/pdf?
    They'll send you an e-mail to the one you used to register for the exam giving you a link to mylearn. This e-mail used to take 30 days. They've been pretty good about it lately. I got my e-mail about 2 days after the exam. Follow the link to mylearn, sign your life away and you'll get a physical cert in about 6-8 weeks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    Congrats on pass!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Well done!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member JohnnyBiggles's Avatar

Certifications
    I highly recommend doing the DCA if you work on vSphere daily. The amount of stuff you learn is astonishing, really. I worked on vSphere before I took the DCA, and I after I've done it I am able to look at vSphere from a different angle, if you will.

I found the DCA "easier". Easier because I labbed the hell out of it. Dunno if you know about the DCA, but it's done on a live lab, you have 26 tasks to complete and about 70% of the tasks you'll have are what a senior(ish) vSphere admin would do on a daily basis. I am the kind of person that does practical stuff better than memorize a bunch of things.

Timeframe: I started studying for it in October, then slacked off on the study in November because of work. I started a new job in early December and focused on it more than the study. Started in earnest again in Feb, really ramped it up in March and finally took it on April 4. So all up, about 2 months of decent study time. 2 hours every weekday and more on either Saturday/Sunday.

Check out my thread about me sitting the test, I've listed my resources in there. In a nutshell, my resources:

- Paul Grevink's study guide (this is gold!)
    - thefoglite.com (this is great too)
    - The Clustering Technical Deepdive book
    - Lots and lots of lab time. Lab up EVERYTHING. It's all fair game, I had two full tasks on something not many people use in their daily life and that thing is AutoDeploy. DO NOT miss anything.
    - I read the Mastering vSphere book about 3 times over

Good luck on what should be a great learning experience. If you have specific questions, shoot!
    Thanks for the info. Can you link that thread?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah, it's only a few threads down from this one. Sitting my VCAP5-DCA tomorrow

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks