+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ESXi 5.1 lab

Certifications
    Server+,A+, N+, MCDST, HDI/SCA, MCP, ITIL Foundations 2011, VCA5-DCV,VCA5-Cloud, MTA 98-364

Default ESXi 5.1 lab

Howdy all!

Loooong time no post.

Been doing some google searches and searches on forums about building out an ESXi 5.1 lab to do some labs in my own environment (instead of the schools virtual labs).

Found Wahl's info, but wondering if anyone has updated recommendations?

I found the official and unofficial VMware HCL, but the listing seems to be kinda old an incomplete. Don't want to spend a good amount of cash on something that ends up having issues/incompatibilities with the ESXi 5.1.

Any thoughts/feedback?

Thanks!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, ITIL, MCSE, MCSA 03/12,MCITP:EA, EST, EDA7, EA, CCENT
    How intense of a lab are you wanting? I have an older Dell T110 that runs 5.0 fine that I mess around with. For studying on my VCP I used workstation 8 VMs that were running ESXi 5.0 so I could do shared storage, etc. It was slow but worked well enough.

I think the Dell Poweredge 2950 is still compatible with 5.1 and are fairly affordable on ebay. I have one of those I salvaged from work but haven't messed around with too much so I can't confirm the compatibility yet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Ran out of room :(
    I can confirm the 2950 is compatible with 5.1. We have one running in our remote office.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    I had issues running 5.1 in a nested environment. Thought I read about a workaround, but haven't really bothered. Sticking with 5.0 for a while.
    2017 Certification Goals: Fun filled world of AWS
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA Win7, MCSA 2003 & 2008, MCS, CCNA, VCP5
    +1 for 2950. Even older 1950 supports 5.1 and it can be bought for a couple hundred.
    VMware Compatibility Guide
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    Build your own, quieter and more power efficient server. That 2950, unless its in your basement, is gonna be loud.

I have two of these, and while they are older parts still run things just fine:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-O Xeon X3400 / L3400 / Core i3 series Dual LAN Micro ATX Server Board w/ Remote Management - Newegg.com
    Kingston Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G - Newegg.com
    Patriot Xporter 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model PSF16GUSB - Newegg.com
    Rosewill Green Series RG430-S12 430W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply - Newegg.com
    ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor X3430 (8M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
    LIAN LI PC-V351B Black Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case - Newegg.com

All works with 5.1 and on the HCL. Add in a couple of dual Intel 1000GT's from eBay and you have a nice couple of boxes. Just update the CPU/motherboard to something better. No biggie

Here's a great thread with tons of examples that are way better than my setup.

Your home ESX server lab hardware specs? - [H]ard|Forum
    Last edited by QHalo; 04-19-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
    I had issues running 5.1 in a nested environment. Thought I read about a workaround, but haven't really bothered. Sticking with 5.0 for a while.
    Presuming you created the nested VMs with the webclient so you can create vm9 ones ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks