+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCDST, A+ , NETWORK +

Default Help with running servers on ESXi free version

We have to 64 bit servers that are running a similar Application and various 32 bit servers running Exchange 2003. We need to upgrade Exchange 2003 to 2010 so we are looking at virtualising the 64 bit servers and then running Exchange along the Application on the two servers. I have been asked to look at using ESXi Free version or even a paid version and also compare with running the same setup on Windows 2012 with Hyper V.

Will they be any complications in running App and Exchange virtual machines on a free version of ESXi or am I better of going for the Windows 2012 Hyper V?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    B.S. MIS, Network+, CCENT
    I haven't worked with Hyper V so I can't comment on that aspect; however, I run all of my client's virtual servers on the free version of ESXi. I haven't really had any problems. I have noticed however, that I had to assign a pretty good amount of ram to my SBS running exchange for it to run decent. On two of my ESXi servers, I have 5-6 Virtualized OS on each. Runs like a champ with the right hardware!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    Bear in mind though that the free version had a 32GB Ram limit (5.x anyway)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Life
    How many mailboxes are there? How much data? Are you looking into DAG or just 1 mailbox install ? What is the email traffic, heavy/light users? Check out VMware's Exchange 2010 virtualization best practices.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCDST, A+ , NETWORK +
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
    How many mailboxes are there? How much data? Are you looking into DAG or just 1 mailbox install ? What is the email traffic, heavy/light users? Check out VMware's Exchange 2010 virtualization best practices.
    There is going to be about 300 mailboxes with a potential growth to 500. The traffic will be quite average. I think 32GB ram will be ok because thats how much we would plan to put on the actual physical server.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    It's a limit of 32GB TOTAL, for all VM's on the host, not per VM.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 3/22/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-412; 2/11/2017 - Completed VCP6-DCV (passed 2V0-621)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), more Linux, AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, MCSA 2016, Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by blargoe View Post
    It's a limit of 32GB TOTAL, for all VM's on the host, not per VM.
    Thanks, should have been a bit more precise with my comment
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks