+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCSA 2008 R2; ITIL v3; Net +; 74-409, Sec+
    Passed today. I used the MVA jump start, slides and Sybex book. I've been using Hyper-V and System Centre for a few years which helped too
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, APP
    Congrats all! Glad you guys are going at it, free certs are the best brain and resume stuffers..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member
    I have a question. I am not working, no experience at all in virtualization, no certifications yet, only used VMware (basic stuff) that's it. This is my first certification test. So for this certification, should I just watch the videos and go through the slides in this site?

Server Virtualization with Hyper-V & System Center Training - Microsoft Virtual Academy

And I only have 14 days to review (no work, no school, free time, I can review all day), Can I pass this exam w/o any experience in virtualization?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    MCS:Hyper-V , MCSA Security, A+, Net+, Sec+, VCP5/6
    Quote Originally Posted by hell911 View Post
    I have a question. I am not working, no experience at all in virtualization, no certifications yet, only used VMware (basic stuff) that's it. This is my first certification test. So for this certification, should I just watch the videos and go through the slides in this site?

Server Virtualization with Hyper-V & System Center Training - Microsoft Virtual Academy

And I only have 14 days to review (no work, no school, free time, I can review all day), Can I pass this exam w/o any experience in visualization?
    If you're good with memorization then Maybe. But more than likely not, two weeks is not enough time if you aren't familiar witht he technologies. Understanding everything takes more hand's on knowledge.

I passed in Feb with a fairly high score, I never touched Hyper-V before that, but have had some Vmware experience.

I Studied the following :
    • MVA Course : Watched like 4 times, took notes on everything
    • MVA Alternative Hyper-V Videos : Just search for Hyper-v, there are a ton of them, some older, but still relevant.
    • CBT Nuggets : Hyper-V videos
    • Youtube : Anything 74-409 or Hyper-V Related I could tolerate
    • Technet : Articles on all topics
    Finally I setup a nested lab and played around with what I could, I didn't get to play much with VMM, Orchestrator or DPM before my exam, but you definitely want to study those for the course objective.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications

And I only have 14 days to review (no work, no school, free time, I can review all day), Can I pass this exam w/o any experience in virtualization?
    Probably not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Tot View Post
    Probably not.
    What should I do to pass the exam, i still have 3 weeks to go before the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    What should I do to pass the exam, i still have 3 weeks to go before the exam.
    With no prior knowledge this would be extremely difficult. I hadn't used Server 2012 prior to taking this exam but I've used 2008 R2 and older for years, I'm a MCSA/MCSE for 2000-2003, and know Windows in and out fairly well.

Watch the MVA videos here : Server Virtualization with Hyper-V & System Center Training - Microsoft Virtual Academy

Study, take notes. Watch it 3x times. MVA course + technet was all I really needed, but I had more experience. You probably don't have the time lab really. If you want you could download Windows Server 2012 trial and play with it.

Also try some of the technet virtual labs :
    TechNet Virtual Labs

Key points to learn for the exam :
    How VMM/System Center ties together, how to enable features/monitoring
    How DPM servers are set up, what rules are there, what can they back up, how many you need(One DPM servers can backup an separate domains as long as their linked or in a forest)
    How to enable/configure Nic teaming via powershell.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member
    ^
    i know about windows server 2008 (not 2012 though)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, HIT, MTAx6, MS: O365, MSCA: O365, MCSA: Win 7, MCITP: Win 7 EA, MCITP: Win 7 EDS, MCTS: 70-681, MS: Server Virtualization HyperV, BAAP
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Tot View Post
    With no prior knowledge this would be extremely difficult. I hadn't used Server 2012 prior to taking this exam but I've used 2008 R2 and older for years, I'm a MCSA/MCSE for 2000-2003, and know Windows in and out fairly well.

Watch the MVA videos here : Server Virtualization with Hyper-V & System Center Training - Microsoft Virtual Academy

Study, take notes. Watch it 3x times. MVA course + technet was all I really needed, but I had more experience. You probably don't have the time lab really. If you want you could download Windows Server 2012 trial and play with it.

Also try some of the technet virtual labs :
    TechNet Virtual Labs

Key points to learn for the exam :
    How VMM/System Center ties together, how to enable features/monitoring
    How DPM servers are set up, what rules are there, what can they back up, how many you need(One DPM servers can backup an separate domains as long as their linked or in a forest)
    How to enable/configure Nic teaming via powershell.
    This is a great overview!

I would completely disagree that it would be 'extremely difficult" to pass this with 3 weeks and no knowledge. I have minimal server knowledge and I crammed and knocked this out (although not very impressively might I add) in 2 weeks. I just did essentially what you mention above. I did the MVAs and videos once. I printed out the PDFs and made a flashcard binder. I technetted a little, and played with the servers at my work (I work for an MSP and on the 3rd shift) -- I probably put in 30 hours total on this.

3 weeks is more than doable if you can commit to it.

-scott
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, HIT, MTAx6, MS: O365, MSCA: O365, MCSA: Win 7, MCITP: Win 7 EA, MCITP: Win 7 EDS, MCTS: 70-681, MS: Server Virtualization HyperV, BAAP

This thread was extremely useful to me:

74-409 helpful info
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member
    Is there a waiting period to retake the exam in case someone failed?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SweenMachine View Post
    This is a great overview!

I would completely disagree that it would be 'extremely difficult" to pass this with 3 weeks and no knowledge. I have minimal server knowledge and I crammed and knocked this out (although not very impressively might I add) in 2 weeks. I just did essentially what you mention above. I did the MVAs and videos once. I printed out the PDFs and made a flashcard binder. I technetted a little, and played with the servers at my work (I work for an MSP and on the 3rd shift) -- I probably put in 30 hours total on this.

3 weeks is more than doable if you can commit to it.

-scott
    Total of 30 hours from start to end? Cool.

Question: The exam is only written or written+lab?
    Last edited by hell911; 04-26-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCITP/ MCSA/ MCTS & CCNA:SEC
    Passed today.
    I studied "Digital Microsoft Official Curriculum - 20409A Server Virtualization with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Center".
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member

Certifications
    S.S.C.P. , Hyper-V 74-409, Sec+, MCTS Vista, MCDST, MCP 270/90, ITIL Foundation, Citrix CCA XP, Citrix CCA FR3
    Hi,

How close were the 'ready for assesment ' questions to the exam questions? as they dont fit the normal MS format.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    I passed this on 5/3, should it show up under my MCP login? I haven't received any word that I passed except for the printout.

Thanks
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. IS3

Certifications
    MCP, CompTIA A+, N+
    Hey i just checked the link and it says 50% off so im assuming it is not free anymore?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member

Certifications
    CCNA:S CCNA:RS CCENT A+ Net+ Security+ Project+ BCNE MCP MCTS MCDST MCSA 74-409 VCA-DSV/WM/Cloud CIW...
    Quote Originally Posted by matai View Post
    I passed this on 5/3, should it show up under my MCP login? I haven't received any word that I passed except for the printout.

Thanks
    Passed on 4/25 and I haven't seen anything from Microsoft yet either. I check my transcript every couple days, and I hate waiting. Did get a congratulatory email from Prometric at about the 10 day point. Had a 20% off coupon for another server exam if I remember correctly.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE
    It took about 4 weeks for it to show up on mine
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matai View Post

Thanks
    Woah, I posted this at 3:20PM and received an email from Prometric at 5:05PM saying I passed. Big Brother really is watching...
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Social Networking & Bookmarks