+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Cisco R00t Clan Member NOC-Ninja's Avatar

Certifications
    CCIE-Wireless, CCIE-RS (written), CCNP-Wireless, CCNP, CCNA-Wireless, CCNA-Security, CCNA, CEH, CHFI
    My Main PC is i5, SSD hard drive and 16gb memory.

I've run cisco PRIME, cisco MSE, cisco ACS, ISE, Windows server in VM's all at the same time. I only see 8gb of RAM being used.
    MSISA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Voice, Security
    I've heard a lot of people recommend servers, but for versatility I got a high end ASUS with 16gb RAM and all the Hyper Thread and I forget the other technologies to run multiple virtual machines (Hyper-Threading?) and it worked fine to host a Server Forest / Software SAN via Workstation 10 which got up to around 12gb usage of RAM depending on which servers were running. Think it went for around $1200 at the time.

Though VMware really ticked me off how my works partner rep screwed me out of my VCP 5.1 cert, I am going to be forced at some point to get re-acquainted with heavy VMware knowledge, but I'll never give them another nickel of my money again for certification. Ever. Ever, ever.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    @OP - if you have a USD$1000 limit for a laptop - you may want to check this new Acer laptop out. I was recently looking at it. It doesn't have a large drive but there is an extra bay which you could put in a larger SSD or mech drive. The reviews all seem very positive when I was researching to get a new laptop. I did end up buying a different laptop but not before considering this one. My need wasn't for a VM lab but I do run VM Workstation and I was planning to run multiple VM's simultaneously. The laptop that I bought is closer to $1700 as I had a criteria for a lighter laptop with better battery specs.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-G.../dp/B01N12YZ7B
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Voice, Security
    Wow I wish that was around when I was shopping, similar specs except the graphic card, that might get same game sessions between study sessions on the laptop!

I will be watching for that baby to drop in price, those graphic specs are amazing for a laptop.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. user.Status = "Learning";

Certifications
    MCSE Server 2012, MCSE CP&I
    I've always had hardware that was "sufficient" for my needs, but a few months ago I went way overkill to have something I won't need to worry about for a while. i7-6950x, 64GB, and some Sammy 850 Pro and 960 Pro drives.

Built primarily for watching YouTube, but it's also good at running a very wide range of virtualization scenarios.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member
    I have had an ACER for a few years with no issues.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks