+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 First ... 7891011 12131415 ... Last

Certifications
    ITIL Foundation, Prince2 Foundation, A+, Network+, Security+, Storage+, VCA-DCV
    N Stands for Nintendo.

No but seriously, N stands for Components.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Hmmm.... really components? - Maybe I miss that equation in my studies.....

Anyways I just read threw all of the questions and I'm honestly wondering if those questions are just super hard or if I'm not studying enough for the VCP, like pages 1 to 6 were so hard I was scratching my head half the time. I tried really hard to work through them without looking at the answers.

The last few pages I was able to troubleshoot fine.

If these questions are meant for someone with a DCD then I can shed a sigh of relief, If not I'm going to do more reading or cancel my exam on Wednesday, maybe 4 months of study isn't enough, eek!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathmage View Post
    If these questions are meant for someone with a DCD then I can shed a sigh of relief, If not I'm going to do more reading or cancel my exam on Wednesday, maybe 4 months of study isn't enough, eek!
    I remember many of the questions in this thread being above VCP.

Edit: in the table you posted, N is for the number of ESXi hosts in the cluster that'll provide resources. In a HA cluster with admission control enabled, the basic formula is N (# of host providing resources) + x (# of redundant hosts) = total # of ESXi hosts in the cluster.
    Last edited by dave330i; 12-13-2014 at 05:09 AM.
    2017 Certification Goals: Fun filled world of AWS
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
    I remember many of the questions in this thread being above VCP.

Edit: in the table you posted, N is for the number of ESXi hosts in the cluster that'll provide resources. In a HA cluster with admission control enabled, the basic formula is N (# of host providing resources) + x (# of redundant hosts) = total # of ESXi hosts in the cluster.
    So I follow, if you have a 3 host cluster with one has a HA spare in-case the 1st two go off then it would be a N+1 (2+1)?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    I dont quite follow you, think of it as this - the 'x' stands for the number of hosts you can sustain the loss of and continue to run your workloads on the remaining ones. So with N + 1, you can sustain the loss of 1 host and run all your VMs, with N + 2, two hosts can be lost (or not unavailable, think maintenance mode) and other hosts still handle your VMs. Better?
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    I dont quite follow you, think of it as this - the 'x' stands for the number of hosts you can sustain the loss of and continue to run your workloads on the remaining ones. So with N + 1, you can sustain the loss of 1 host and run all your VMs, with N + 2, two hosts can be lost (or not unavailable, think maintenance mode) and other hosts still handle your VMs. Better?
    Yes sir, I'm learning disabled so I take a little longer to learn than others but it's funny my IQ is 129, never understood it myself why I take so much longer than others to learn if my IQ is so high.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Not sure if I can post in here a question that I just found on a practice test that I had difficulty on in the exam:

vCenter reports a connectivity problem with a ESXi 5.x host that is not a member of a cluster. An Administrator attempts to connect directly to the host using vSphere Client but fails with the message "an unknown connection error occurred. Virtual machines running on the host appear to be running and report no problems.

What two methods would likely resolve the issue without affecting the VM's?

To me I think it's: (underlined is my choice)

1) Enter the service mgmt-vmware restart command from either SSH or local CLI

2) Enter the services.sh restart command from either SSH or local CLI

3) Select reboot host in the DCUI

4) Select Reboot Management Agents in the DCUI

did I royal screw that up?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    I may just go with 2 and 4, option 1 may reboot VMs under some particular conditions (I think)
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    I may just go with 2 and 4, option 1 may reboot VMs under some particular conditions (I think)
    The answer is 2 and 4, but thanks for pointing out why the 1st is a bad one! - probably why I got the question wrong. See I did nothing in a command-line for my studying nor do I even know how to get to command line (half the problem, lol)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    Definitely 4. Probably 2.
    2017 Certification Goals: Fun filled world of AWS
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    this might be helpful for my study but how do I access the DCUI? - I only know it from reading. after taking the practice exams I see I had gaps in my studying.

Would it be as simple as making a SSH connection via putty to the esxi host (or can it happen to the vcenter applicance) and typing 'dcui' in the linux command prompt?

nevermind I'm a ar tard, the DCUI is the bloody yellow and black screen on the esxi host (hides in corner)

well that's something I learned, option 1 doesn't even work in CLI.
    Last edited by Deathmage; 12-19-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCP5-DCV
    Yah that happened to me yesterday after I patched a host. About 20 min after I had powered back on VM's the host went non responsive and vm's showed disconnected. Couldn't access the host directly through the client. However, all VM's were fully functioning and accessible via RDP. Restarted mgt agents. I have iLO configed on most of my servers and use that to access the DCUI.
    Last edited by tstrip007; 12-19-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: more detail
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Not sure if I can post in here a question that I just found on a practice test that I had difficulty on in the exam:

vCenter reports a connectivity problem with a ESXi 5.x host that is not a member of a cluster. An Administrator attempts to connect directly to the host using vSphere Client but fails with the message "an unknown connection error occurred. Virtual machines running on the host appear to be running and report no problems.

What two methods would likely resolve the issue without affecting the VM's?

To me I think it's: (underlined is my choice)

1) Enter the service mgmt-vmware restart command from either SSH or local CLI

2) Enter the services.sh restart command from either SSH or local CLI

3) Select reboot host in the DCUI

4) Select Reboot Management Agents in the DCUI

did I royal screw that up?

I actually ran into this issue earlier this year, in our environment with a 4.1 host. I restarted the management agents via SSH and everything went smooth (if you don't have SSH enabled on the host, you can use PowerCLI to turn it on). You won't cause any issues on your VMs (unless you're running them with Automatic Startup/Automatic Shutdown) only your host if its running a specific task. I think I followed the KB 1003490 (article ID) but it was a while ago, so I don't particularly remember.
    Last edited by Verities; 12-19-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tstrip007 View Post
    Yah that happened to me yesterday after I patched a host. About 20 min after I had powered back on VM's the host went non responsive and vm's showed disconnected. Couldn't access the host directly through the client. However, all VM's were fully functioning and accessible via RDP. Restarted mgt agents. I have iLO configed on most of my servers and use that to access the DCUI.
    See my only issue is this, maybe it's a design flaw in my home cluster but I only have a single uplink for the management VMkernel while my vMotion/Production/vStorage both are two uplinks in a failover policy. It's no so much I don't have the connections I just was lazy, lol, I have 8 nic's per host (Broadcom 4 slot nic riser card) but needless to say before when I tried to restart the Management Agents the process happened but then my SSH console locked up and I couldn't gain access to the host but I could ping the IP from my laptop/PC it just wouldn't allow a SSH. I had to drop the host to fix it... However I'm curious if you guys know roughly how long it takes for the Management Agents to restart? ...I'm thinking I jumped the gun thinking it would happen fast...

as for SSH I just enabled mine from the Security pane in on the hosys inside of vCenter but of course you can do it directly from the client into the host and from the DCUI. However if you don't have a KVM with a monitor connected to the server (like me) it can be fun to wiggle behind my rack to hook up a vga to my KVM

I'm pondering if even if it's a test cluster if I should make a vlan for iDRAC just in-case of this situation...but I'm just not sure if I even have a iDRAC configured if I could access the DCUI from iDRAC so kind of scratching my head at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Verities View Post

I actually ran into this issue earlier this year, in our environment with a 4.1 host. I restarted the management agents via SSH and everything went smooth (if you don't have SSH enabled on the host, you can use PowerCLI to turn it on). You won't cause any issues on your VMs (unless you're running them with Automatic Startup/Automatic Shutdown) only your host if its running a specific task. I think I followed the KB 1003490 (article ID) but it was a while ago, so I don't particularly remember.
    hmm... now to figure out why the restarting on the management agents didn't go smooth for me, lol! - I always get the issues, lol!!!!
    Last edited by Deathmage; 12-19-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    See my only issue is this, maybe it's a design flaw in my home cluster but I only have a single uplink for the management VMkernel while my vMotion/Production/vStorage both are two uplinks in a failover policy. It's no so much I don't have the connections I just was lazy, lol, I have 8 nic's per host (Broadcom 4 slot nic riser card) but needless to say before when I tried to restart the Management Agents the process happened but then my SSH console locked up and I couldn't gain access to the host but I could ping the IP from my laptop/PC it just wouldn't allow a SSH. I had to drop the host to fix it... However I'm curious if you guys know roughly how long it takes for the Management Agents to restart? ...I'm thinking I jumped the gun thinking it would happen fast...

I'm pondering if even if it's a test cluster if I should make a vlan for iDRAC just in-case of this situation...but I'm just not sure if I even have a iDRAC configured if I could access the DCUI from iDRAC so kind of scratching my head at this point...

hmm... now to figure out why the restarting on the management agents didn't go smooth for me, lol! - I always get the issues, lol!!!!
    Management agents are pretty quick to restart; I don't have a 100% accurate time in seconds, but definitely less than a minute. As for the management agent restart issue...do you have Automatic Startup/Shutdown for VMs enabled?? I really can't comment on the iDRAC question since I've never used it or set it up before.
    Last edited by Verities; 12-19-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verities View Post
    Management agents are pretty quick to restart; I don't have a 100% accurate time in seconds, but definitely less than a minute. As for the management agent restart issue...do you have Automatic Startup/Shutdown for VMs enabled?? I really can't comment on the iDRAC question since I've never used it or set it up before.
    Turns out I just let it run this time, clocked it taking 3 minutes and it was successful and once it restarted the SSH connection reconnected. I was just impatient earlier. But no Automatic is setup, they aren't control in that manner everything is manual.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Turns out I just let it run this time, clocked it taking 3 minutes and it was successful and once it restarted the SSH connection reconnected. I was just impatient earlier. But no Automatic is setup, they aren't control in that manner everything is manual.
    Good to know. Maybe the times are based on server performance. Sometimes it can be very hard to be patient especially since, as a society, we are used to having everything right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    I swear my answers are correct?

Is this app broken?

10805758_10204453236544854_3385494443269497518_n.jpg

erg, I think those asnwers are for a NFS datastore, shoot.
    Last edited by Deathmage; 12-19-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. kj0

Certifications
    vExpert x 4 | Apple Mac OS X Associate | Cert III - IT.
    I swear my answers are correct?

Is this app broken?

Attachment 6117

erg, I think those asnwers are for a NFS datastore, shoot.
    A and B. Definitely B. If you Unmount, then you would not lose anything from the datastore.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: http://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    MTA 98-349
    hey its quite good idea
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    JNCIP,SP, JNCIS-SP, CCNP, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5, MCITP 2008 SA, CCNA
    A and B would be correct indeed. When "deleting" NFS you wouldn't lose data.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    Would love some new quiz questions to keep my skills sharp!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    An admin has an issue with a host and wants to generate a support log bundle from vCenter to send to VMware, but receive an error "Cannot generate diagnostic bundle". How else can the admin generate a support log bundle from his host?

a.) turn on Remote Tech Support service, SSH to the host, and run vm-bundlegenerate

b.) turn on Local Tech Support service, SSH to the host, and run vm-bundlegenerate

c.) turn on VMware vCenter Agent service, SSH to the host, and run the command vm-support

d.) turn on Remote Tech Support service, SSH to the host, and run the command vm-support

Answer:
    D

Bonus point (no multiple choice): What command can the admin run on the host to verify it has enough space available to generate the support log bundle?

Answer: df -h
    Last edited by Verities; 01-23-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member
    OOO good one, need to give this one a try, BRB. I remember it from the exam I'm pretty sure its RTS but the syntax command I'm not sure about fuzzy now.
    Last edited by Deathmage; 01-24-2015 at 03:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    OOO good one, need to give this one a try, BRB. I remember it from the exam I'm pretty sure its RTS but the syntax command I'm not sure about fuzzy now.
    You had this on the exam? That's nuts! A co-worker of mine ran into this problem the day I posted it and I saw your request for more daily quizzes, so I posted my troubleshooting steps. I'll be posting more dailies next week and they are going to be based on problems I run into in the production environment as well as how to fix them.

Also, I put the answer to the question in white, so you just need to highlight them.
    Last edited by Verities; 01-24-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 First ... 7891011 12131415 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks