+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 First ... 51112131415 1617 Last
  1. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    Possible (good answer so you get a point), so now you check and see the vlan is on the switch and is not shut-down, but still no traffic is passing...
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Security settings on the portgroup/switch.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    could be but i was looking for

"the switch port has the native vlan set to vlan 10"

Cisco switchs do not tag traffic on the native vlan, a trunk port connected to a esxi host will not pass data on the native vlan, vmware recomend that you insure the native vlan on the switch port is a vlan unused by teh vmware estate .

VMware KB: Configuring Network Switches for VLAN Tagging

while its not good practice to used vlan 1, this is by default the native vlan on a switch.

to resolve either change the native vlan to an unused vlan (recomended) or use the swotch port commend "tag native vlan" so all packets are expected to have a vlan tag.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Yep, I agree with this and admit it didn't spring to my mind. Your questions highlights the need to think outside the box. Many of us virtualization folks lack decent networking skills.

Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    Yep, I agree with this and admit it didn't spring to my mind. Your questions highlights the need to think outside the box. Many of us virtualization folks lack decent networking skills.
    Was going to say native vlan but I just kept on reading...

Guess this is where I should have read this thread earlier huh.... this is where you say networking and VMware go hand-n-hand huh Manny.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    Yer this one caught me out twice in the course of a few months, and its a bugger to trouble shoot because unless you know how to get under the hood on the systems there is no errors thrown up.

Often its where two systems meet that the issues happen.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. kj0

Certifications
    vExpert x 4 | Apple Mac OS X Associate | Cert III - IT.
    Q. You're an administrator noticing some strange issues with time sync. You notice that each time you migrate a VM, the guest time changes. You note that the ESXi host that you migrate too has an incorrect time, you also note that your "Sync Guest OS time with host" option is unticked. You correct the time on the host and point it to a new NTP server and restart the service.
    To prevent this from happening again when a new host is added with the wrong NTP settings, what must you also change with the VM?
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: http://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kj0 View Post
    Q. You're an administrator noticing some strange issues with time sync. You notice that each time you migrate a VM, the guest time changes. You note that the ESXi host that you migrate too has an incorrect time, you also note that your "Sync Guest OS time with host" option is unticked. You correct the time on the host and point it to a new NTP server and restart the service.
    To prevent this from happening again when a new host is added with the wrong NTP settings, what must you also change with the VM?
    throwing out a guess here cause I recently did this myself but I would turn off the VMware tools periodic time synchronization. To me Windows Time (Win32Time) is way more accurate than VMware tool, sadly.

Alternatively, if you still have hope for VMware, lol! - you can right click the VM and go to settings, then click on the option tab and then click on the VMware tool setting and tick the 'Synchronize guest time with host' option in the Advanced section on the bottom right.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. kj0

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathmage View Post
    throwing out a guess here cause I recently did this myself but I would turn off the VMware tools periodic time synchronization. To me Windows Time (Win32Time) is way more accurate than VMware tool, sadly.

Alternatively, if you still have hope for VMware, lol! - you can right click the VM and go to settings, then click on the option tab and then click on the VMware tool setting and tick the 'Synchronize guest time with host' option in the Advanced section on the bottom right.
    But what happens if you add a new host with the incorrect time settings and the VM migrates to it? How do you prevent the sync from happening and allow the Guest OS to stay in sync with it's specified NTP source?

[Edit] this is something that is highly recommended to know, I've been caught once in production environment with it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    But what happens if you add a new host with the incorrect time settings and the VM migrates to it? How do you prevent the sync from happening and allow the Guest OS to stay in sync with it's specified NTP source?

[Edit] this is something that is highly recommended to know, I've been caught once in production environment with it.
    untick the 'Synchronize guest time with host' option? - only other thing I can think of is to make a host profile with the NTP service off. If this isn't it, I'd learn something new.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    From memory there's an advanced host setting for this, dont remember exactly what though.

Reply With Quote Quote  

13. kj0

Certifications
    Alright, Answer time.

Whilst the VM is sitting on the host, if you have deselect "Sync Guest OS with host" VMTools option, the time will sync with where you have pointed the guest OS for NTP server.
    When you vMotion or perform a series of events, the guest will sync with the host by default - this can cause issues if the host time is out of Sync.

To prevent the guest OS ever syncing with the Host time, you need to add additional lines to the VMX of the guest VM. VMware KB: Disabling Time Synchronization
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Alright, Answer time.

Whilst the VM is sitting on the host, if you have deselect "Sync Guest OS with host" VMTools option, the time will sync with where you have pointed the guest OS for NTP server.
    When you vMotion or perform a series of events, the guest will sync with the host by default - this can cause issues if the host time is out of Sync.

To prevent the guest OS ever syncing with the Host time, you need to add additional lines to the VMX of the guest VM. VMware KB: Disabling Time Synchronization
    adding this too the toolbox. I would have never thought of that!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    Question. (hopping the answer might help others in the progress of upgrading)

you update esxi5.5 to version 6. upon reboot you notice that the hosts not longer have there physical nics attached to the distributed switch and attempting to re-add them end in an error message.

What setting might be causing this, and haw can you resolve it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Unaware of a setting, but are they on the HCL? Gotta look at the error message first!

Reply With Quote Quote  

17. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    Its not specifically to do with HCL, its a network setting that is global per host. The error you will see when trying to add a physical nic from an affected host will contain the line. " Unsupported address family".

this kind of gives it away if you want to google it so the KB is here describing the issue and fix..

But any guess before you look? I really posted this as I know people will be looking to upgrade and this is a good one to check before you do to prevent issues with the process.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    VCP55-DCV
    Data Virtual Volume Size MAX = 62TB

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere6/...n-maximums.pdf
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member

Certifications
    VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, CompTIA A+, Server+, Cloud+, Storage+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, NetApp NCSA
    Hello guys I am new here and this is an epic thread!

Can anyone join in with questions?

You have a host that no one knows the root password for, what method can you use to recover that are/are not covered by vmware?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Let's revive this thread, let's inject some life again!

@piedpiper - anyone can chime in with questions and answers. Just make the question's font red so it stands out.

Questions:

Capture.JPG

The Visio's mostly obvious. The RAM numbers are reservations at all levels of the hierarchy. The cluster has 24GB RAM to dish out.

Consider all VMs are currently powered off. The power-on events will go like this, VM1 > VM2 > VM3.... > VM8

1. You power on VM1, it boots up no worries. Will VM2 boot up too? Why?

2. Say VM2 was able to power on, you then power on VM3, will VM4 then be able to power up too?

3. Will you be able to power up VM5 and VM6? Why?

4. Will you be able to power up both VM7 and VM8?

5. What can you do to ensure all VMs power up?

6. Does this make you think resource pools arent a good idea? If so, why?

Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Reticulating splines... iBrokeIT's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, GSEC, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5-DCV, MCITP:EA, MCSA 2003/08
    Wow! That's a great resource pool question Essendon, I hope you guys are tossing him some +Rep

I really dislike resource pools because most people don't really understand them and misuse them as folders to organize their VMs then have performance issues with their VMs during contention or during a host reboot.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks mate! Gotta spread the knowledge. If I can assist one person in getting their VCP and hopefully their VCAP/VCIX, this thread and my time has been well worth it.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    Guess I take a crack at the RP questions. Haven't worked with RP in a while so I'm rusty. I'll keep my answers in white.

1. VM2 will not boot since the RP doesn't have enough resources, the parent pool doesn't have enough resources and the parent isn't expandable.

2. VM4 won't boot since the RP doesn't have enough resources and it is not expandable.

3. This one is tricky. VM5 will power on, while VM6 won't due to overhead resource requirement and the RP isn't expandable.

4. VM7 & 8 should power on since the RP and parent RP are expandable and there are enough resources within the cluster.

5. You could increase the RP reservations, enable expandable reservations on all RPs, dump reservations and go with shares.

6. Nested RPs are a pain. If you use share vs. Reservations and size them correctly, they can be useful.
    2017 Certification Goals: Fun filled world of AWS
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Done well Dave.

Everyone else - review the question and answer 10 times if you need to. You must understand RPs for your VCPs and VCAPs..

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Question:

You are the administrator of an environment that is located across 2 physical datacenters. Datacenter A is your production site and Datacenter B is the DR site. The vSphere version at both sites is at 5.5 and SSO operates in basic mode (vCenter and SSO on same VM). You need to upgrade to 6.0 and there's a new VDI project that is shaping up that's going to need a dedicated vCenter. How would you do this?

1. Upgrade vCenter and SSO to 6.0 embedded PSC and point the 2nd vCenter to the PSC. Upgrade VUM, use it to upgrade hosts to 6.0 and move VMs to hardware version 11
    2. Deploy standalone instance of SSO 5.5, repoint vCenter 5.5 to new SSO 5.5, decommission old SSO, upgrade SSO 5.5 to 6.0, upgrade VUM, upgrade vCenter, upgrade hosts and move VMs to hardware version 11
    3. Upgrade vCenter and SSO to 6.0 embedded PSC and point the 2nd vCenter to the PSC. Upgrade VUM, use it to upgrade hosts to 6.0 and move VMs to hardware version 12
    4. Deploy standalone instance of SSO 5.5, repoint vCenter 5.5 to new SSO 5.5, decommission old SSO, upgrade SSO 5.5 to 6.0, upgrade vCenter, upgrade VUM, upgrade hosts and move VMs to hardware version 11

Choose one option.

Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member
    Wish I could use Resource Pools here, I love them at home. I have to run in EVC mode, so no pools for me.

Thanks mate! Gotta spread the knowledge. If I can assist one person in getting their VCP and hopefully their VCAP/VCIX, this thread and my time has been well worth it.

Cough, you already have with me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks