+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 First ... 61213141516 17 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    Question:

You are the administrator of an environment that is located across 2 physical datacenters. Datacenter A is your production site and Datacenter B is the DR site. The vSphere version at both sites is at 5.5 and SSO operates in basic mode (vCenter and SSO on same VM). You need to upgrade to 6.0 and there's a new VDI project that is shaping up that's going to need a dedicated vCenter. How would you do this?

1. Upgrade vCenter and SSO to 6.0 embedded PSC and point the 2nd vCenter to the PSC. Upgrade VUM, use it to upgrade hosts to 6.0 and move VMs to hardware version 11
    2. Deploy standalone instance of SSO 5.5, repoint vCenter 5.5 to new SSO 5.5, decommission old SSO, upgrade SSO 5.5 to 6.0, upgrade VUM, upgrade vCenter, upgrade hosts and move VMs to hardware version 11
    3. Upgrade vCenter and SSO to 6.0 embedded PSC and point the 2nd vCenter to the PSC. Upgrade VUM, use it to upgrade hosts to 6.0 and move VMs to hardware version 12
    4. Deploy standalone instance of SSO 5.5, repoint vCenter 5.5 to new SSO 5.5, decommission old SSO, upgrade SSO 5.5 to 6.0, upgrade vCenter, upgrade VUM, upgrade hosts and move VMs to hardware version 11

Choose one option.
    Too me I'm not as smart as some of you, yet, in regards to VMware but the question stipulated a new dedicated 2nd vCenter so to me that's answer 2 and 4 right off the list right away. answers 1 and 3 are tricky if you don't know hardware versions, version 11 as far as I recall is for ESXi 6.0, version 10 was the highest for ESXI 5.5 so that's only logically. I'm pretty darn sure hardware version 12 is for things like vFusion, vWorkstation player, workstations.

I know the 1st step in upgrading you always upgrade vCenter 1st so this was a dead giveaway on two question wrong right away, so with the above mentioned and just by looking at how similar the answers are, I'm basing my answer on hardware versions, so I'm going with answer 1.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Reticulating splines... iBrokeIT's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, GSEC, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5-DCV, MCITP:EA, MCSA 2003/08
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathmage View Post
    I have to run in EVC mode, so no pools for me.
    What?....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    Not VCP related.

Question:

If you install every VMware product, how many ports will it use?

Answer in white:

735 unique ports.
    Last edited by dave330i; 10-14-2015 at 05:20 PM.
    2017 Certification Goals: Fun filled world of AWS
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by iBrokeIT View Post
    What?....
    Sorry Trevor, don't get it either. Because you got EVC enabled you can't use RPs ?!?

That would be pretty bad if that's the case
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbajabba View Post
    Sorry Trevor, don't get it either. Because you got EVC enabled you can't use RPs ?!?

That would be pretty bad if that's the case

Yup, can't do a Resource Pool.

here are some screenies, they wanted to reuse last generation Dell servers so EVC mode it is, and EVC mode has limitation.

EVC Mode.JPG

no RP's ](.JPG

I do remember vividly the EVC mode drove me nutso because when I 1st deployed the cluster I figured the were the same generation and I had to destroy the cluster, move it from VMware free on one host, recreate the cluster, enable EVC mode, add the new host to the cluster and then migrate all of the VM's in a balanced stance..... it was utterly annoying....

But defiantly something I learned how to do... I only did it once in the lab and never had it on the VCP test so it was allot of bricks sweating out of my head.
    Last edited by Deathmage; 10-08-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCAP-CID/DTD, VCP4, Security+, MCTS-640, EMCISA, ITILv3 Foundation
    2017 Certification Goals: Fun filled world of AWS
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave330i View Post

It says something like incompatible CPU or something (I'll go recreate it and upload the picture), drove me nutso when I 1st deployed it, wouldn't let me enable DRS with EVC for one of the hosts. Even submitted a ticket to VMware, but there cluster is so small here I just left it be.

It was a few months ago maybe they did a bugfix or hotfix, might do a VUM update this weekend when I update the Equalogic, just been doing project after project, like last week I did a MPLS VPN to a remote location 1600 miles away, so been dealing with WAN-based Terminal Services configurations and tweaking!!!!!!!!

Maybe next year when we need vCloud Director for our SaaS I'll get Enterprise Plus and it will go away when I upgrade to 6.0. Right now we have Enterprise 5.5.

VCP6-DCV is next after the CCNA: R&S, already upgrade the home-cluster to 6.0 but I just want to test the piss out of it at home before I deploy it at work....then I'll do the MCSA after that....

I know I'm loopy I'm a system administrator and I'm doing Microsoft last, go figure.
    Last edited by Deathmage; 10-08-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Reticulating splines... iBrokeIT's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, GSEC, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5-DCV, MCITP:EA, MCSA 2003/08
    ...wouldn't let me enable DRS with EVC for one of the hosts.
    Sounds like your EVC cluster isn't properly configured.

Personally, when I'm building a cluster that will use EVC I start with the lowest common host that will be in the cluster, create the cluster with EVC mode set to the level of that host and then add the rest at the same level.

If you have VMs already running at a higher processor family level then they will need to be restarted to downgrade to the lower level (which might have been your issue).
    Last edited by iBrokeIT; 10-09-2015 at 12:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Personally, when I'm building a cluster that will use EVC I start with the lowest common host that will be in the cluster, create the cluster with EVC mode set to the level of that host and then add the rest at the same level.

If you have VMs already running at a higher processor family level then they will need to be restarted to downgrade to the lower level (which might have been your issue).

ya it's a bug sadly I wish I did misconfigure something, I had the VMware guy remote into my PC back in May and they said they send me a hotfix, they never did. I also haven't dont VUM in a few months either.

Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
    Not VCP related.

Question:

If you install every VMware product, how many ports will it use?

rofl, insert wise ass remark, however many you give it!!!! I block the piss out of mine....

But not sure how I remember this, but I had notes for VCP5 on this, looked in my notes but its 148, as of ESXi 5.5.

my screen isn't big enough for this picture I have in my VCP5 notes folder back from Jan.

ESXi 5.x ports 1.jpg
    ESXi 5.x ports 2.jpg
    ESXi 5.x ports 3.jpg

I figured knowing the ports and having this picture would be nice to blow up some day once I get to VCAP level considering it's probably highly unlikely VMware will chane the bulk of them anytime soon......
    Last edited by Deathmage; 10-09-2015 at 04:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional
    ya it's a bug sadly I wish I did misconfigure something, I had the VMware guy remote into my PC back in May and they said they send me a hotfix, they never did. I also haven't dont VUM in a few months either.

Then I can only imagine EVC has been enabled after VMs were powered on so VMs don't get the new instruction sets for the CPUs and as a result some VMs wouldn't be able to vmotion from one host to another.

Having said that - I had that before and all I got was an error that the VM couldn't be migrated live and I had to power them off ...

So you got different CPUs in your cluster or why EVC ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbajabba View Post
    So you got different CPUs in your cluster or why EVC ?
    They initially had no idea the concept of VMware or what the 'cloud' was....

the VMware cluster was proof on concept and I did it for them on the basis they'd add more hardware later, so I did it with an existing server, a 2009 era R710, and one brand-new Dell R720xd. I knew going into it they would have a generation mismatch just didn't think it would cause this kind of problem. the next N+2 server is another R720xd.

Basically they wanted the 'cloud' for less, so it was a proof on concept really and now they love the stability and performance, I also sacrificed on the hosts to get a next-level higher Equalogic SAN. So yes I know EVC isn't the best option but I didn't want to gimp the core storage fabric and the 10G iSCSI has a big cost factor too.

So that end I do think I made the right choice all things considering, just moving forward if they want more control over resources they will need to invest in newer hosts, but at-least the core storage fabric was built correctly from the get-go and can addon a few more Equalogic's if need be without a performance issue..
    Last edited by Deathmage; 10-09-2015 at 04:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA Server 2008, VCP 5 DCV, CompTIA A+, Net+, 70-640, 70-642, 70-620, 70-646
    Let's revive this thread, let's inject some life again!

@piedpiper - anyone can chime in with questions and answers. Just make the question's font red so it stands out.

Questions:

Attachment 7192

The Visio's mostly obvious. The RAM numbers are reservations at all levels of the hierarchy. The cluster has 24GB RAM to dish out.

Consider all VMs are currently powered off. The power-on events will go like this, VM1 > VM2 > VM3.... > VM8

1. You power on VM1, it boots up no worries. Will VM2 boot up too? Why?

2. Say VM2 was able to power on, you then power on VM3, will VM4 then be able to power up too?

3. Will you be able to power up VM5 and VM6? Why?

4. Will you be able to power up both VM7 and VM8?

5. What can you do to ensure all VMs power up?

6. Does this make you think resource pools arent a good idea? If so, why?

1. VM2 will boot up too. The pool is allowed to expand beyond the 4 GB allocated, so having a total of 5 is okay.

2. VM4 won't be able to power on because there won't be enough resources in the pool, the RP only has 4GB non expandable and VM4 is requiring 1 GB too much. Also VM4 is over committing the parent RP.

3. VM5 and VM6 will power on, both have enough resources under that RP to power on even though it's not expandable.

4. Yes both VM7 and VM8 will power on, while this exhausts the current RP it's expandable and as long as there is enough RAM to lend out (24 GB) you are okay (22 GB used and the cluster has 24 GB - which it would still allow you to turn on the VM's right? Just once you start allowing more memory to be consumed things like ballooning, transparent page sharing, compression and hot swapping start to play a bigger factor - right?)

5. I would allow every RP to be expandable as long as you aren't over committing the Hosts in the cluster

6. I think in specific instances RP are a great tool. If you allow departments to manage their own virtual infrastructure RP is a great policing policy. You can easily create RP for departments and configure memory allocations per pool. This way departments can manage the resource pool given to them. In smaller environments or environments. This can be a great 'charge back' policy too where each resource pool is charged based off consumption. We don't use it because we police these things ourselves, but i can see in very dispersed environments this type of setup could be beneficial (thinking big ass companies like Dell, HP, ect).

I'm not 100% sure on some of these but those are my best answers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Too me I'm not as smart as some of you, yet, in regards to VMware but the question stipulated a new dedicated 2nd vCenter so to me that's answer 2 and 4 right off the list right away. answers 1 and 3 are tricky if you don't know hardware versions, version 11 as far as I recall is for ESXi 6.0, version 10 was the highest for ESXI 5.5 so that's only logically. I'm pretty darn sure hardware version 12 is for things like vFusion, vWorkstation player, workstations.

I know the 1st step in upgrading you always upgrade vCenter 1st so this was a dead giveaway on two question wrong right away, so with the above mentioned and just by looking at how similar the answers are, I'm basing my answer on hardware versions, so I'm going with answer 1.
    Yeah this question is one of those in which you need to have played with vSphere 6 and/or read the documentation. In one line, VMware don't recommend and soon won't support an embedded PSC talking to another vCenter Server.

1. This clearly wont cut it as pointed out just above
    2. You need to upgrade vCenter first, then VUM. (notice the subtle change in order in the answer choice)
    3. Again won't work for the reason mentioned above
    4. This works

Answer is 4.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Sorry for the delay in updating this thread, I've been flat out with work.

Question:

Let's change the format for this question to a rapid fire one (answers in white)

1. What's the name of the vSphere component that can serve as the public key infrastructure for your vSphere 6.0 deployment? VMCA

2. In vSphere 6.0, VMware HA requires a robust DNS infrastructure?
    No, it hasn't depended on DNS since 5.0

3. In vSphere 6.0, the names of the lockdown mode options are?
    Normal, strict and exception users

4. In vSphere 6.0, Single Sign On is now called?
    Platform Services Controller

5. In vSphere 6.0, host certificates are stored where?
    On the hosts

Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    Sorry for the delay in updating this thread, I've been flat out with work.

Question:

Let's change the format for this question to a rapid fire one (answers in white)

1. What's the name of the vSphere component that can serve as the public key infrastructure for your vSphere 6.0 deployment? VMCA

2. In vSphere 6.0, VMware HA requires a robust DNS infrastructure?
    No, it hasn't depended on DNS since 5.0

3. In vSphere 6.0, the names of the lockdown mode options are?
    Normal, strict and exception users

4. In vSphere 6.0, Single Sign On is now called?
    Platform Services Controller

5. In vSphere 6.0, host certificates are stored where?
    On the hosts

Looks like I do indeed need to read the ESXi 6.0 book, a ton has changed now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Can i use a life line? I'll wait for the next round of questions to answer, i'm clueless on 6.0
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    @Trev - Yep a fair bit's changed mate!

@Lex - Here ya go

Sticking to the same format

Question:

1. You are trying to vMotion a machine from one cluster to another but the migration wizard throws an error about networking not being available. What is the issue and how can you fix it?

2. In vSphere 6.0, the default isolation response for VMs is?

3. The default security settings for a standard switch are?

4. Can an ESXi 5.5 host run with a 6.0 vDS?

5. What's the name of the agent that manages HA on ESXi host?

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    @Lex:

Let's go through your answers to the RP question.

1. VM2 wont boot up because although its RP is allowed to expand and ask the parent RP for more grunt, the parent RP doesnt have any more to go around. It only has 8GB available which has been evenly split between the child RPs, also note it cant ask the cluster for more even though the cluster may be be able to dish some RAM out.

2. Yep, you are right here. VM4 isnt overcommitting the RP, it wont be allowed to bootup so it cant overcommit. If a VM isnt powered on, it isnt consuming resources (barely any anyway).

3. VM5 will boot up or VM6 will boot up, but not both. Thing is when a VM's powered on, it also has the idea of "memory overhead". Since the memory it's been provsioned with + the overhead tips it over 2 GB, it doesnt leave enough for the other machine to power on.

4. Yeah, you are right here. Ballooning > compression > swapping can happen. Note TPS is now disabled after VMware came out with a security advisory about TPS being able to be exploited. In addition, TPS doesnt provide any savings because it doesnt work for large memory pages (which is what most modern guest OSs use - Windows 2008 etc). Why it's not used - because the chance of finding matches among large pages is very low incurring an avoidable tax. You'd think oh why cant ESXi break down the large pages into smaller ones and find matches? Yeah well it could, but it'd expend more than it would gain so it doesnt do it.

5. Yep, you could also increase the reservations, or better still not do reservations at all and go with shares only. Just know shares only kick in during times of contention only. With overcommitment, isnt this what virtualization is about?! It's how much and your goals that matter.

6. RPs are a pain in general, IMO. Nested RPs are worse. Dont do them. You are right about allowing departments to manage their RPs, well it sounds great and to some extent it is. But what would you let them do? Take a step back and think of the larger picture here. As for charge back - yep, that's a possible use for them. But given the management overhead, I'd employ a PowerShell script to dump out resource usage and charge off that instead. Big companies would almost never use RPs, contrary to what you'd think. They'd have disparate environments managed by different teams or maybe a vCD environment which splits resources up.

Hope this helps.

Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    @Trev - Yep a fair bit's changed mate!

@Lex - Here ya go

Sticking to the same format

Question:

1. You are trying to vMotion a machine from one cluster to another but the migration wizard throws an error about networking not being available. What is the issue and how can you fix it?

2. In vSphere 6.0, the default isolation response for VMs is?

3. The default security settings for a standard switch are?

4. Can an ESXi 5.5 host run with a 6.0 vDS?

5. What's the name of the agent that manages HA on ESXi host?

Awesome thank you for explaining those to me man - i appreciate it.

Here is my crack at your new questions:

1. Networking error can be a few different things. Off the top of my head it could be:
    >You are using a standard switch and the networks you've configured aren't labeled exactly identical.
    >You are using a DVS on the source Host and a standard switch on the destination - this will throw an error about the network not being available
    >Your vMotion network is not configured correctly on one of the Hosts - if Host A cannot talk with host B you won't be able to vMotion. Easy test is to use esxi ping and verify connectivity from one Host to another (side note you shouldn't be able to test from your computer because the vmotion network shouldn't be routable beyond the host network for security purposes).
    2. Not sure
    3. You mean like is SSH enabled / disabled?
    4. vDS is at the vCenter level right? So this is tough, normally vCenter has to be equal or greater than the Hosts, so assuming vCenter is 6.0 and your Hosts are still 5.5 your vDS would be 6.0 as well. I'm going to say yes it can because the vDS is at the vCenter level (IE if vcenter is down you can't add or remove from the vDS until vCenter is up)
    5. Not sure - man i need to study more if i'm taking this exam in a few weeks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    Not to step on any toes but thought i'd put my own questions up here as well to keep the content rolling. I'm studying for the VCP 5.5 myself so I run into a lot of potential exam questions daily.

Here we go, all pertaining to 5.5 (answers in white):

1. What is the vCPU maximum per virtual machine? 64

2. What is the maximum RAM per virtual machine? 1 TB

3. What is the maximum virtual disk size? 62 TB

4. What is the maximum video memory per virtual machine? 512 MB

5. What is the maximum logical CPUs per host? 320

6. What is the maximum RAM per host? 4 TB

7. Explain what a NUMA Node is and why it's important to be aware of NUMA in a virtual environment?

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks for stepping up Lex. I've been away since my wife gave birth to twin daughters on the 16th. I'll get back on the horse in a day or two.

Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    No worries essendon - i'm studying this crap daily so i have a dozen questions a day i'm reviewing in my head.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Good questions, though just so you know VMware dont ask questions like these (config maximums) in the test nowadays. So while this information is good to know and I'd expect people to know some of it, it's unlikely you'd see it on the test. Point is, no need to memorize them.

Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    SOB for real!?!? Damn, thought they would throw dumb Microsoft exam questions at me, guess i won't study them then
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 First ... 61213141516 17 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks