+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 First ... 71314151617
  1. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
    SOB for real!?!? Damn, thought they would throw dumb Microsoft exam questions at me, guess i won't study them then

The VCP exam was no joke...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA Server 2008, VCP 5 DCV, CompTIA A+, Net+, 70-640, 70-642, 70-620, 70-646
    I've heard it's not a cake walk, guess i'll find out in a few weeks when i take it. I've taken a good amount of MS exams but nothing from vmware so it's hard to gauge what to expect. MS was all over the place depending on what exam you were taking.

I have a solid understanding of vmware and how things work - what i'm trying to focus on are the specifics like services, how resource pools interact - things like that. Using the blueprint a lot as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    You must work on getting all those storage and networking concepts down pat too. Create scenarios for yourself based on things like:

- need to delete a LUN without downtime to VMs
    - upgrade datastores
    - migrate between arrays
    - perform SDRS operations
    - create a noisy neighbour using a load gen and configure SDRS as to how you can avoid the issue
    - manual/auto SDRS and why?
    - create datastore clusters and play with them and break them
    - migrate between a vSS and vDS without downtime
    - upgrade vDS
    - play with NIOC to your heart's content, create user resource pools
    - add/remove uplinks to switches
    - swap between load balancing mechanisms and see what happens and why
    - swap between PSPs and see what happens and why
    - etc etc..

Get the drift? This things are important to know in the real world and on the exam too..
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    You must work on getting all those storage and networking concepts down pat too. Create scenarios for yourself based on things like:

- need to delete a LUN without downtime to VMs - vmotion off servers, properly unmount in vmware prior to dismounting on storage array
    - upgrade datastores - Right click within the storage view and upgrade (idk if i can do this with VMs on it though)
    - migrate between arrays- storage vmotion from one to the other, unmount the old
    - perform SDRS operation- definitely need to study this more, we don't use it so i don't have much experience
    - create a noisy neighbour using a load gen and configure SDRS as to how you can avoid the issue
    - manual/auto SDRS and why?- I would think auto SDRS if you don't have resource contention on the storage end and you ensure you've properly allocated your storage tiers to what your vms should have
    - create datastore clusters and play with them and break them
    - migrate between a vSS and vDS without downtime We've had to do this as well when we moved to a vDS - we had to 'walk the vms' from the vSS to the vDS by migrating one vmkernel port at a time, never migrating both on the same kernel at the same time otherwise the vm would drop
    - upgrade vDS - haven't done this before - backed up before but not upgraded, need to do this as well
    - play with NIOC to your heart's content, create user resource pools Definitely need to do more of this - investigated it but never implimented
    - add/remove uplinks to switches
    - swap between load balancing mechanisms and see what happens and why
    - swap between PSPs and see what happens and why Unfortunately have had to do this a bunch lately b/c our storage array's upgraded their PSP's - so installing the vib (host has to be in maintenance mode) and restart. If the PSP is installed already you can change the storage multipathing on the fly but it won't stick on a restart. Also found out today installing a new VIB will most definitely reset your iSCSI login timeout period to 60 by default (might be the default of the VIB being installed).
    - etc etc..

Get the drift? This things are important to know in the real world and on the exam too..
    Sorry took your questions as a way to see what i already knew. Let me know if i was wrong on those above. I get your point though, my problem is being a our vmware engineer i only have experience in what we use - so things like NIOC, SDRS are things we don't do so i don't mess with. I have a lab and plenty of extra hardware at work to mess with though.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Q: In an EXSi 6.0 deployment with linked-mode vCenter and a standalone PSC VM, you get the full feature(s) of VUM from the VMware Web Client.

True or False?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    Thanks for stepping up Lex. I've been away since my wife gave birth to twin daughters on the 16th. I'll get back on the horse in a day or two.

Ahhh I see, now I see why you've been slacking with the VCDX, you've been leveling up the wife the past few months. I guess you were getting wife aggro, and even with capped parry you still couldn't dodge it anymore. You need to stack more stamina, agility and intellect man, you need to feral tank better.

If you don't play World of Warcraft Manny you won't follow the above sentence at all...
    Last edited by Deathmage; 02-07-2016 at 10:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Updating my answer - true. Looks like now you can attach and scan items for remediation. You cannot though configure baselines from the web client - that is still done through the local vsphere client.
    Last edited by Lexluethar; 03-21-2016 at 09:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP,MCDST, Security +
    Excellent thread, thanks guys, keep it up
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 First ... 71314151617

Social Networking & Bookmarks